Hope for ice yet.....

Bender

Horses were used for millennia,

Steam engines would never replace a horse,

Petrol engines? Ah that will never take off...

nobody expects ICE engines aficionados to give up just like that. 

28 minutes ago, husoi said:

Horses were used for millennia,

Steam engines would never replace a horse,

Petrol engines? Ah that will never take off...

nobody expects ICE engines aficionados to give up just like that. 

You mean giant petroleum corporations won't give up like that. 

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

You mean giant petroleum corporations won't give up like that. 

Them too.

I was referring to the "Jeremy Clarkson"s of the world.

• Like 1

Don't be so sure about it.

Shell, like all the others will take the opportunity to change the petrol stations into charging ones.

If you think about it, it is more profitable to have a charging services where people sit for 1hr instead of fuel where you just stop and go.

while you're sitting waiting you will buy a coffee, a cake, etc.

Drilling wells are already being converted to CO2 storage areas so they don't lose as much as we think.

9 minutes ago, husoi said:

Don't be so sure about it.

Shell, like all the others will take the opportunity to change the petrol stations into charging ones.

If you think about it, it is more profitable to have a charging services where people sit for 1hr instead of fuel where you just stop and go.

while you're sitting waiting you will buy a coffee, a cake, etc.

Drilling wells are already being converted to CO2 storage areas so they don't lose as much as we think.

Limit to through put though, most eV stations are going to be full with 10 cars

8 minutes ago, Bender said:

Limit to through put though, most eV stations are going to be full with 10 cars

Not at all.

Come to Fife and you will see all rapid charge stations (50kw) empty and rarely used. 

With most councils applying charges it is far cheaper to charge at home than paying £1.60 connection fee plus £0.30/kwh

An overnight charge at home can be as cheap as 5p/kwh during the night, why would you pay more?

The great thing about EV' is that you can fuel up while you're asleep :thumb: 

19 minutes ago, husoi said:

Not at all.

Come to Fife and you will see all rapid charge stations (50kw) empty and rarely used. 

With most councils applying charges it is far cheaper to charge at home than paying £1.60 connection fee plus £0.30/kwh

An overnight charge at home can be as cheap as 5p/kwh during the night, why would you pay more?

The great thing about EV' is that you can fuel up while you're asleep :thumb: 

That’s at the moment. 

Wait until they’ve forced the majority into EVs even at home. 
There will be a higher rate to charge your car. That’s if the infrastructure doesn’t collapse before then…..

Edited by fullscreenaging

On 04/06/2021 at 05:13, husoi said:

You call this few???

image.thumb.png.b4045436af9a6f688212cdcef1c834b2.png

in 2019 operating charging stations overtook petrol stations in number.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/uk-has-more-ev-charging-stations-petrol-stations

It's not the number of points it's the throughput. At Gordano services on the M5 there's about 10 Tesla charging points and I think at the moment about another 10 Ecotricity charge points. So call it 20 points with an average charge time of at least 40 minutes. In that 40 minutes a fuel station can probably shift at least 200 cars through. Imagine a bank holiday weekend in August? Total chaos. EV is great if you use it just for short journeys and charge at home. Not much use for a longer journey. Recently a car magazine did a test of 3 versions of a Peugeot car including an EV version. They were driving from Land's End to John o' Groats (I think). The EV was by far the slowest because to extend your mileage you needed to drive relatively slowly and even then on a cold January day the range was barely 150 miles requiring frequent charging. This took a minimum of 40 minutes assuming you didn't have to wait for a charger to come free. As far as I can see its just another way of restricting the populace but by the back door.

Edited by S-Westerly
Stupid bloody auto text
  • Like 2

I genuinely am interested in how much it will be to charge an EV once the majority of the populace drives one. I can see a lot of current users harking on about the good old days when it cost £8 a week to run :lol:

If I would charge my Leaf from 5% to 100% at home and normal 1 flat rate it would cost me:

95% of 62kw = 58.9kwh X 16.5p = £9.718

If I would have eco7 supply this would be around £4.75