Re-newbie

Lateralus

Hi all. At what point does a lapsed member become a newbie again?!

I've been riding for nearly 5 years now, and had some phenomenal help from here when first getting started. Indeed, I still have the toolkit I received from TMBF secret Santa!

I've owned a Honda CBF600S, Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport, and spent the last 3 years on a 2010 R1200RT which is used daily for commuting (and occasionally even for recreational rides and touring!). 

Competent as the RT is, it's not the most exciting of bikes, and a recent house move means my new commute takes me the full length of Nottingham's ring road twice a day, where the boat-sized dimensions mean I often get stuck much earlier than smaller bikes. As such, I now find myself actively investigating a Honda VFR1200F which is for sale locally! It has a large top-box, shaft drive and (hopefully) reasonable weather protection, and is much narrower, so ticks all the practicality boxes. 

Completely unrelated to a recent spin on a mate's KTM 1290 Adventure S, the VFR also has 160bhp, neither of which are in any way related to the fact that I'm now bike shopping!

Anyway, hello again!

• Like 3

Hi @Lateralus welcome back and good to see you about again 

If you are finding the RT boring you're doing it wrong :lol: 

I have recently got a 2016 RT and find it pretty entertaining :D 

I am with you on the filtering lark though! not the best choice of bike for commuting through traffic 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Hi @Lateralus welcome back and good to see you about again 

If you are finding the RT boring you're doing it wrong :lol: 

I have recently got a 2016 RT and find it pretty entertaining :D 

I am with you on the filtering lark though! not the best choice of bike for commuting through traffic 

I gather the later LC versions are something of a different beast to my DOHC one, and boring is perhaps the wrong word. However, it definitely doesn't give you an exhilarating rush as it quietly but quickly gets you up to speed!

Did you give up on the FJR, or did it give up on you?

• Like 1

Just now, Lateralus said:

I gather the later LC versions are something of a different beast to my DOHC one, and boring is perhaps the wrong word. However, it definitely doesn't give you an exhilarating rush as it quietly but quickly gets you up to speed!

Did you give up on the FJR, or did it give up on you?

Yes maybe boring was the wrong choice by be there. I have never ridden the model you have got so I can't compare them but I am led to believe the LC is much better 

I had the FJR for 7 years and it was time for a change and I always wanted the RT so I just took the plunge! I don't regret it one bit 

The FJR is still going strong and with a new owner 

• Like 1