Importing motorcycle clothing

Jonesey58

Has anyone on here bought from one of European based stores, ie, motocard, Moto fc etc since brexit? I’ve ordered a new lid from motorcard, from what I gather there’s 0% import vat as it’s personal protective equipment so comes under zero tariff? 
I would like to use Moto fc for a pair of biking jeans but unsure if I’m going to get stung with additional charges? 
Anyone on here able to advise?

Cheers in advance,

Regards,

Chris

Chris I recently bought some chain lube from profi products in Germany I didn't get stung for taxes neither when I ordered from Louis Moto in Germany. May be worth a quick email to the company or a look at the FAQs on their website 

Most of the big international mail order companies have got it sorted out. It can be a bit worrying to see import costs listed on the invoice but it’s the final costs that actually matter. Those costs often include VAT and postage and packing. The bigger problem will be persuading smaller companies not geared up to U.K.:EU trade to do business with you.

15 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Ordered parts not  clothing from Poland and price was as advertised and no extra charges. Ordered on Monday night and received on Friday morning. Pretty much as it should be.

I almost bet you that the tax is already included in the price.

I found that when I was looking for cork underlay for my new flooring and when I navigated to the basket checkout it was showing the price without tax and final figure the one indicated in the listing.

• Like 1

A lot depends on the value of the orders being bought here. Anything below a certain value doesn't require VAT and duty being paid, however anything over will be liable for the punishment.

I have ordered stuff from fc moto,  but that was pre brexit. Order Monday morning and goods were delivered on Wednesday. But now I wouldn’t bother. There’s very little they sell that you can’t get from soortsbikeshop which gives too many benefits to ignore. Easy returns/swaps  and warranty claims for instance.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Talha said:

Can I import Motorcycle clothing to the UK if the whole garment ais not CE certified for PPE but only protection armour of the garment are CE certified?

Theres nothing to stop you importing anything. (within reason) but nowadays its largely pointless. as the added costs are (or can be) hefty.

Make sure you won't be risking safety.

I know helmets that are not CE certified can lead you to a penalty.

It is faced as you not wearing one.

Same with gloves and other gear.

Not that police would know by just looking and I never heard anyone being stopped for a check.

Insurance on the other hand may refuse liability in case if a crash as your gear won't be to proper standard.

The best way to import any gear would be while touring you buy it and wear during the ride on the way back.

from the usual understanding of us working with the EU lot (and the other way) that the company you want to deal with know the score and will already apply the charges or every thing known to them that will be applied YOU WILL ALREADY PAY FOR  as that should of applied to the product(s) your buying for...really if its a big one off or very rere find its worth it but if its a readily available cheap product within the UK it generally not worth the bother or barely the saving... just from experience and our work place of dealing with the union dictatorship 

6 hours ago, Talha said:

Can I import Motorcycle clothing to the UK if the whole garment ais not CE certified for PPE but only protection armour of the garment are CE certified?

Apart from your helmet, which has to meet specific standard and have the right certifications, you're free to wear whatever you like when riding your bike. A lot of the motorcycle clothing for sale in the UK only has CE certification for the armour.  So yes, you can do this.

• Like 1

The only mandatory piece of protective clothing is a helmet. That must meet the appropriate standards. The rest is purely optional and could be made of string and paper. So yes you can import clothing without any issues except of course the import duty is likely to be punitive.

Import duty runs at about 25% (~4% duty on motorcycle clothing + 20%VAT). I think if this figure comes to under £39 pounds, then you pay nothing. But if you have to pay, the carrier will impose their own handling charge on top. Last time I paid £13 for the handling charge.

• Like 1