Winter plans for your bike?

Stu

50 minutes ago, Chrissb6 said:

A Decade ago Mate? On September 1, 2021, E10 fuel became the default fuel in petrol stations across England, Scotland and Wales 

He is in France 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chrissb6 said:

A Decade ago Mate? On September 1, 2021, E10 fuel became the default fuel in petrol stations across England, Scotland and Wales 

Ah you of little faith. Yes, I have used E10 since 2009. It’s only new to the U.K., it’s not a new fuel, it’s a tried and test fuel in other places. Who’s laughing now?

11 minutes ago, DuRavary said:

Ah you of little faith. Yes, I have used E10 since 2009. It’s only new to the U.K., it’s not a new fuel, it’s a tried and test fuel in other places. Who’s laughing now?

Laughing at what?

12 minutes ago, DuRavary said:

Don't think anyone is laughing and I bet when it was first introduced in France there was a lot of hmming and aahing at the time. Despite misgivings I've been using it for the last two months without issue. In fact the bike may be running better. Humble pie.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

Apparently there is no difference in emissions, so what about the energy used to produce the ethanol, and it's emissions? 

I think it was more the deforestation in places like Brazil which were growing maize and soy beans for turning into ethanol.

I use sustainable ethanol made from waste sugar beet in my burner in the extension  gives a nice flame not much real heat but looks good. I buy in bulk I'll need some more soon I'm sure prices will have gone up as its more in demand in the UK now

1 hour ago, goat said:

Laughing at what?

Tried it on a couple of my bikes both were not happy running on it. It's been clearly stated that E10 has a shelf life of a matter of weeks before it starts to degrade, l can vouch for that. 

3 minutes ago, Chrissb6 said:

Tried it on a couple of my bikes both were not happy running on it. It's been clearly stated that E10 has a shelf life of a matter of weeks before it starts to degrade, l can vouch for that. 

Ditto

15 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Interesting to know as when I go back to sea I don't usually drain the tank. The last few fill ups before then I'll use E5.

The RAC mechanic said the fuel had broken down, and to be honest I've never drained the fuel before either, but I didn’t want to risk leaving it in, and in hindsight its a good job I did drain it 

Edited by billy sugger

11 hours ago, Chrissb6 said:

I wonder how the Germans have managed to use it successfully since 2009 then? That’s really strange. Do you think that their scientists and big car makers just haven’t noticed?

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Don't think anyone is laughing and I bet when it was first introduced in France there was a lot of hmming and aahing at the time. Despite misgivings I've been using it for the last two months without issue. In fact the bike may be running better. Humble pie.

I wasn’t in France when it first appeared but I was in Germany. There it quickly became the norm, helped probably by being cheaper than E5. If there were any genuine concerns they would have been addressed years ago. It’s simple to check if your vehicles are able to run safely on E10 and if you have a pre-2000 car or bike that does have problems don’t use it. 

I think it's just the whole degrading quicker thing. I'd imagine in Germany if bikes are stored over winter they either put tank treatment in or drain them. I think people are just interested in what those who have had E10 for years have done. I've noticed no difference other than slightly more fuel consumption but only slightly. 

6 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I think it's just the whole degrading quicker thing. I'd imagine in Germany if bikes are stored over winter they either put tank treatment in or drain them. I think people are just interested in what those who have had E10 for years have done. I've noticed no difference other than slightly more fuel consumption but only slightly. 

My brother lives in Munich and according to him very few Germans ride bikes in winter. As a non biker himself doesn't know what they do tankwise. Enough folks in this country who store their bikes in the winter months used to drain tanks even with the old style petrol. I'll just use E5 in the last week or so before I put the bike away before I go back to sea.

• Like 1

We have E10 over here in Tunisia and have had for the last couple of years. I use it in a 27yr old K1100 with no issues at all. I get roughly the same per tank full as I did with the E5 fuel back in the UK and it's a whole lot cheaper to fill up here as opposed to back in the UK. It costs me around 30 Tunisian Dinars to fill up after about 200 miles which works out at less than £10 in the UK. The advantage over here i that the government set the max price per litre regardless of fuel supplier so there is loads of competition between fuel suppliers/stations to get customers onto the forecourt.

8 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

Strangely in my experience most people aren’t interested in what those who have used E10 for years have done. They’re far more interested in the guy down the pub’s friend who needed an engine rebuild after he put a gallon of E10 in his year old bike. 

10 minutes ago, DuRavary said:

Strangely in my experience most people aren’t interested in what those who have used E10 for years have done. They’re far more interested in the guy down the pub’s friend who needed an engine rebuild after he put a gallon of E10 in his year old bike. 

I think you're mixing with the wrong people then. Most folk I know are perfectly rational about it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DuRavary said:

I must be in the minority then. I ride mine all year round but always interested in bike related stuff. You may be surprised on this forum. Most people down my pub have very little interest in bikes normally more football and local stuff. 

Just now, MikeHorton said:

I must be in the minority then. I ride mine all year round but always interested in bike related stuff. You may be surprised on this forum. Most people down my pub have very little interest in bikes normally more football and local stuff. 

I’m commenting on the negative feedback I’ve had on a couple of forums after sharing my experience of using E10 since 2009. Mind you I’ve noticed negativity about just about everything that’s a bit different to the norm. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I think you're mixing with the wrong people then. Most folk I know are perfectly rational about it.

Well as a lot of them are on this forum you must be mixin*with them as well. I honestly thought that comments from someone who has used E10 for a lot longer than a couple of months might help disperse the scaremongering and false myths. I was wrong. So wrong, change terrifies a lot of these tough bikers.