Winter plans for your bike?

Stu

Might finally get round to booking the bike in for recall work. (its only taken a year!!)

Aside from that, not much. I'm kinda umming and aahing over replacing the rear shock. choice is between a Wilbers or an Öhlins. But the second is almost £300 more expensive. will have to see. I can get a Wilbers with my PayPal credit so spread the cost over a few months interest free. Though Im wondering if this is really necessary. jut spending for the sake of spending. so, still in two minds.

Main focus is on planning for the Alps. busy looking at routes and alternatives if the weather doesn't want to play ball. if we'e forced south should we head towards Tuscany or east towards Slovenia. maybe play it safe and plan for both. Just been looking at the snow on the grossglockner. And I grabbed this image before sunset of one of my favourite restaurants on the mountain.

Screenshot 2021-12-16 at 17.55.14.png

• Like 4

On 12/12/2021 at 11:50, DuRavary said:

Oh dear, all my vehicles have E10 in their tanks, just like they have for the past decade. Thank you for the warning. 

I am currently tring to use up all the E10 that is still in my boat, by transferrin to to my bike, its not going to last the winter. My bike is used regularly so the fuel does not get too old.

Down to 25 litres to use up now, was 70litres.

Well today I rolled the bike out the garage and applied some corrosion blocker grease to the odd bit the ACF hadn't got ie bolts and fittings by the brakes and wheels. Other than the odd re application of acf over the winter all sorted. I've had my covid jab today and I'll be pretty much working from home and on restricted hours due to some health niggles. Missing out on 4 bank holidays nice to have some time off but will miss the extra cash but I can't buy my health. 

Rinsed it, squirted it with Muc-Off washed it off, washed it with a wax based shampoo, polished bits of it with Autoglym resin polish, applied ACF50 to various parts, attached battery minder, covered it up and tucked it up for a while.

9yo granddaughter loved helping out, didn’t drop a cloth once and loved painting on the ACF50 with a small brush until she got some on her favourite T-shirt & I told her that it wouldn’t come out 😭😭

Here she is prior to the cleaning process.

4C512286-4190-4A1C-9FD7-369638A78EA9.thumb.jpeg.1a2605361bdc237a3d84ff1f5672cbf9.jpeg

• Like 5

Had to scratch the itch yesterday... calm and dry so took to the hills. Lasted about 30 minutes before I chickened out and beat a hasty retreat due to fog.

One of my less successful winter rideouts.

Coming down a slope, I took a bend where on two previous occasions my rear tyre went for a little slalom. This time, I had slowed to around 15mph and it still did it. It's a mystery as to why it's happening...  nothing visible on the road and the surface is one of those special anti-slip stretches.

Winter plans, bit of riding as weather and work allows, service  which I started yesterday: oil, oil filter, spark plugs changed, still to do brake fluid, air filter. New footpeg rubbers.  Bike is also due valve clearances. Not decided if I'll have a go or take it somewhere for that.

List just got longer. Started up to warm up and check oil level. Fuel pissing out down the side of the engine so carbs are going to have to be looked at. 😠

Edited by goat

On 20/12/2021 at 19:46, Breezin said:

Had to scratch the itch yesterday... calm and dry so took to the hills. Lasted about 30 minutes before I chickened out and beat a hasty retreat due to fog.

One of my less successful winter rideouts.

Coming down a slope, I took a bend where on two previous occasions my rear tyre went for a little slalom. This time, I had slowed to around 15mph and it still did it. It's a mystery as to why it's happening...  nothing visible on the road and the surface is one of those special anti-slip stretches.

Geta lot of these anti-slip surfaces near me, usually a lighter sandy colour.

They are not always that anti-slip, they tend to discard a lot of grit an dit piles up in the centre and sidesof where the car tracks are.

• Like 2

Tucked up, on the Abba stand with a battery tender caressing the battery. Gave it a good clean beforehand, so it's looking brand spanking new for April. Will probably remove the brake shoe's for a clean and give the "no maintenance" Endurance chain a polish to get the shiny gold back. Other than that, i'll just sit on it from time to time, in full gear making "broooom" sounds. 

I've done the whole ACF50, regular cleaning through winter thing, but the bike never looks the same after. Winter is a cruel mistress. 

Edited by Joe85

Update… I actually got my winter plan compete by Successfully installing my crash bobbins!!

I would like to see which of you actually manage to get their tasks done. If your anything like me, the list either gets bigger and then becomes  too big to get done in a day, or something else takes priority, or it gets forgotten about, OR…. You think about it then can’t be bothered!!

Edited by Troy
  • Like 1