Bus Lanes in London

Sphere

Do any London riders happen to know whether the rules for whether bikes are allowed to use bus lanes in London depend only on borough? i.e. if I tell you the borough you can tell me YES or NO?  Or is it more complicated than that, and some borough contains both types of bus lane?

I know how to read the blue signs (which are at times obscured by tree foliage). But it would be handy to know which the offending boroughs are where I might get a fine... then when nowhere near these boroughs I can ride easy and confidently use any bus lane even if I didn't catch the sign 30 yards back!

Edited by Sphere

I haven't ridden in London for a few years, but back then it was borough by borough. I've read somewhere that now it's more complicated, but as I read it on the internet (perhaps here or perhaps on reddit - too senile to remember), that's just about as good no information at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sphere said:

Do any London riders happen to know whether the rules for whether bikes are allowed to use bus lanes in London depend only on borough? i.e. if I tell you the borough you can tell me YES or NO?  Or is it more complicated than that, and some borough contains both types of bus lane?

I know how to read the blue signs (which are at times obscured by tree foliage). But it would be handy to know which the offending boroughs are where I might get a fine... then when nowhere near these boroughs I can ride easy and confidently use any bus lane even if I didn't catch the sign 30 yards back!

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-routes/bus-lanes/motorcycles-in-bus-lanes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Bristol is much the same - some bus lanes you can use but others you can't.  No bloody logic to it.

Reading is similar, and to add to the confusion there are some signposted only for Buses/Taxis/Bicycles but that you can use on a motorbike.. although maybe only because the council haven't put cameras on them (or only front-facing ones?)

Edited by Liveware Problem