A question for those with tubed tyres!

KiwiBob

How do you prepare for a puncture?

Do you carry spare tube/s and tyre levers or do you use something like goop or slime?

I have changed tubes many years ago on a Bantam but I'm not sure if I fancy doing it on a Tiger.

I bought new wheels just because of this.

but..  seems that most Africa Twin owners carry spare inner tubes and the bits needed to replace it in the wild. some have used a tyre sealant, but the results are mixed at best. and still more have done a conversion job themselves. sealing the spokes on the insides of the rim to prevent airloss. something I wasn't happy about, even though it was frequently suggested and is often mentioned.

plenty of 'how to' tutorials online, especially the biggest problem, breaking the bead. most use the side stand for that.  of course this is the sort of problem that can be made simpler if you have a centre stand. otherwise the bike will have to take a little lie down. (bless)

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

Use green slime or carry a spare tube …. Easy enough job on an off roader though.  I’ve never done it on anything bigger than a 350cc Enduro

Edited by manxie49

10 hours ago, fastbob said:

You can stick a patch on a motorcycle inner tube . It's just like a bicycle only bigger . 

When I got a puncture last year, I did a repair with a regular bicycle kit.

It lasted for a couple of weeks until I was able to replace the tube, and the old one has been repaired properly now so I have a spare :thumb:

44 minutes ago, dynax said:

When I got a puncture last year, I did a repair with a regular bicycle kit.

It lasted for a couple of weeks until I was able to replace the tube, and the old one has been repaired properly now so I have a spare :thumb:

Exactly . I had to do the same with my 125 Benley .

29 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I used slime in a pedal bike, never again! It completely failed to seal a small thorn puncture but totally gummed up the valve so it was impossible to reinflate the tyre.

My son uses Goop in his mountain bike and says he has never had a problem!

27 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I used slime in a pedal bike, never again! It completely failed to seal a small thorn puncture but totally gummed up the valve so it was impossible to reinflate the tyre.

I use Shwalbe Marathon tyres with an anti puncture Kevlar strip on my pushbike . I've literally ridden the tread of these things and I've never had a puncture . Highly recommended . 

Screenshot_20220129-170624.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I use Shwalbe Marathon tyres with an anti puncture Kevlar strip on my pushbike . I've literally ridden the tread of these things and I've never had a puncture . Highly recommended . 

I used those for a while then switched to an ordinary tyre and realised how heavy and poor rolling resistance the marathons were. Bike was transformed until I got a puncture 🤣

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

I have those on my bike. But my wife's bike doesn't, hence the use of slime in her tubes.