First trip to the gym at 63 .....fattest lad in the place ...?

Trooper74

(And I soon found i wasn’t “the fattest lad in the place” ...)

As part of my “dealing with heart disease” strategy daily exercise has been highly recommended. I work full time so my usual exercise of cycling every day  is off the menu but Doc mentioned that spinning and rowing in the gym each day would be ideal.
So .. off to the gym i went .....
Health assessment with the manager was fun .... “Any illnesses or underlying conditions i should be aware of ?” ...
That went down hill after discussion about whether i could be defibbed in the event of a heart attack.

Implanted Cardiac Device ......... 
What to do if i have another TGA was probably a step too far ...
Anywayup .... I’ve promised not to use the gym between 2200hrs and 0600hrs or otherwise die if there are no staff on the site.
Their open 24 hours but only manned ( or is that “Personed” ) for 16 hours.
Watt Bikes and Concept 3 rowing machines are good and i started off with 15 minute sessions on each for 4 sessions.
Then off for a shower and off to work ... 

But ... no one interacts, no one chats, no eye contact ..... sterile ...

However during the "great storm” I cycled and rowed without being hit by falling trees or roof tiles ....
And all this is addition to my 30 miles riding my bicycle on the roads each week..
5 days a week in the gym and 2 days on my bike .... ^_^

Oh ... observation ... gym bunnies are real ....but why do they bother ?

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

(And I soon found i wasn’t “the fattest lad in the place” ...)

As part of my “dealing with heart disease” strategy daily exercise has been highly recommended. I work full time so my usual exercise of cycling every day  is off the menu but Doc mentioned that spinning and rowing in the gym each day would be ideal.
So .. off to the gym i went .....
Health assessment with the manager was fun .... “Any illnesses or underlying conditions i should be aware of ?” ...
That went down hill after discussion about whether i could be defibbed in the event of a heart attack.

Implanted Cardiac Device ......... 
What to do if i have another TGA was probably a step too far ...
Anywayup .... I’ve promised not to use the gym between 2200hrs and 0600hrs or otherwise die if there are no staff on the site.
Their open 24 hours but only manned ( or is that “Personed” ) for 16 hours.
Watt Bikes and Concept 3 rowing machines are good and i started off with 15 minute sessions on each for 4 sessions.
Then off for a shower and off to work ... 

However during the "great storm” I cycled and rowed without being hit by falling trees or roof tiles ....
And all this is addition to my 30 miles riding my bicycle on the roads each week..
5 days a week in the gym and 2 days on my bike .... ^_^

It's worth Registering on the concept 2 website. You can  keep track of your progress on there and have a go at some of the challenges. Pyramid rowing is good for a quick hit session

Well done on trying to improve your fitness, keeping the motivation going is the next hurdle.

I took up running 18 months ago during lockdown just for something to do and general fitness, now do 5km parkrun every Saturday and wish I'd started it sooner. Also bought a cheap rowing machine to use when im not running during the week. I dropped about 5kgs fairly quickly and managed to keep it off since then.

• Like 1

Well done, as Bianco said, the next hurdle is to stay motivated.  I stopped using the gym,  I found that the gym I went to was full of prima donna's. They'd  throw the weights around for three or four minutes then spend five minutes strutting back and forth in front of the wall length mirrors admiring themselves, I used to LMFAO!  I bought myself an air rower which I use each day,  plus I kayak and Paraglide,  both keep me fit enough, plus they're pretty social activities.  Good onya though, keep it up .... 👍

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Well done, as Bianco said, the next hurdle is to stay motivated.  I stopped using the gym,  I found that the gym I went to was full of prima donna's. They'd  throw the weights around for three or four minutes then spend five minutes strutting back and forth in front of the wall length mirrors admiring themselves, I used to LMFAO!  I bought myself an air rower which I use each day,  plus I kayak and Paraglide,  both keep me fit enough, plus they're pretty social activities.  Good onya though, keep it up .... 👍

There’s a young woman that turned up when i was there Thursday and Friday  last week.

Beautiful, blonde, young .... wearing white lycra tights and crop top .... she might as well have been naked ..

She wandered up and down the apparatus many times, randomly touching her toes then after an hour disappeared from the gym .... 

The ladies “of a certain age” behind me on the treadmills made a number of barbed comments ...

Why would you go to the gym just to “expose” yourself ....

Weird !!

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

There’s a young woman that turned up when i was there Thursday and Friday  last week.

Beautiful, blonde, young .... wearing white lycra tights and crop top .... she might as well have been naked ..

She wandered up and down the apparatus many times, randomly touching her toes then after an hour disappeared from the gym .... 

The ladies “of a certain age” behind me on the treadmills made a number of barbed comments ...

Why would you go to the gym just to “expose” yourself ....

Weird !!

I suppose someone has to ask !

Will you be taking pics on your next visit ?

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

I suppose someone has to ask !

Will you be taking pics on your next visit ?

Cheers

Ian

🤣    mmmm I have never been sexually attracted to people younger than my shoes  .... if her mum turns up dressed similarly    ....????

Edited by Trooper74
jhvytdud7iuyigb
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

🤣    mmmm I have never been sexually attracted to people younger than my shoes  .... if her mum turns up dressed similarly    ....????

I don't think the question was asked if you are saving the photos for self pleasure 

I reckon the requester wants to do that :lol: 

• Haha 2

On 20/02/2022 at 07:39, Trooper74 said:

Well done on getting started, just make sure to build up slowly and steadily. Keep inside what you feel is comfortable and just push the boundaries gently. It's a little talked about fact that you can do more damage by doing too much. 

The 24hr gyms tend to feel more sterile as there's such a high turnover of customers. It gets better when the regulars spot you've also become a regular.

The guys in string vest jocks leaving a trail of needles, and the girls in bright, tight clothing wearing a mile of makeup should be avoided :lol:

My girlfriend usually finds them comical, but one of them caught her eye and after we left the "did you see her bum/body?" questions started. I think she singled her out as unlike the bunnies, she doesn't dress over the top, but she doesn't need to as she's probably in the best shape and it shows.

A couple of weeks later I'm using the leg machines, and this girl comes up to me, asking when I'll be done on each machine as she's on a similar circuit. The second time she's laughing and saying sorry it keeps happening, the third time there's a little small talk as she's clearly feeling guilty, and when I finish on the machine, I get off and comment "Which machine are you using next? We'll swap and this time I'll kick you off". She laughs at the exact second my girlfriend turns the corner and locks eyes on us. I'm lucky she's not the jealous type, but my heart dropped out my arse. 

I got away with a few comments in the car. But for the sake of your ongoing health, leave the mrs at home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1