War in europe?

Bender

And here we are sat on millions of tons of coal, 50 years of shale gas and oil fields in the north sea and on land .... 

We will go down in history as the truly stupid generation ....

• Like 4

Just now, Trooper74 said:

And here we are sat on millions of tons of coal, 50 years of shale gas and oil fields in the north sea and on land .... 

We will go down in history as the truly stupid generation ....

The real stupid part is they rolled back on finding and extracting it but it's OK to buy it from others who do just that. 

Even if they did allow more to be  taken out (gas) it would still be expensive as its not state owned ans open to market forces. 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

The real stupid part is they rolled back on finding and extracting it but it's OK to buy it from others who do just that. 

Even if they did allow more to be  taken out (gas) it would still be expensive as its not state owned ans open to market forces. 

Wouldn't it have been great if the gas supply was in public ownership so decisions weren't made purely to profit shareholders and generate huge bonuses for a few.

Oh wait, it was. 

Well that turned as expected.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Wouldn't it have been great if the gas supply was in public ownership so decisions weren't made purely to profit shareholders and generate huge bonuses for a few.

Oh wait, it was. 

Well that turned as expected.

Didn't stop power cuts and strikes but I agree properly run and funded utilities should be not for profit. 

• Like 1

You couldnt make it up but the Nuclear power station in Somerset Hinkley point B is due to shut down in a few months but the new plant will not be up and running until 2026 at the earliest. So lets hope it really sunny and blowing a gale to keep all the solar and wind farms working.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My current crew has both Russians and Ukrainians so that's going to be an interesting dynamic. Also my Chief Mate is a Latvian and really doesn't like Russians so I suspect I'll be having to try and keep the peace. The guy I'm relieving is a Russian too.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My current crew has both Russians and Ukrainians so that's going to be an interesting dynamic. Also my Chief Mate is a Latvian and really doesn't like Russians so I suspect I'll be having to try and keep the peace. The guy I'm relieving is a Russian too.

Good luck with that, I'm sure vlad will supply some peace keepers, or maybe stop of in Somalia and pick up a few pirates. 

• Haha 1

I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist but I do, on occasion, think a lot of things that are happening are very convenient for some politicians.  As an example,  they want us all to move away from fossil fuels,  so look what's happening, petrol and diesel sky rocketing, gas prices going through the roof,  Germany now not opening the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.  I feel sorry for the innocents that war affects,  but some of what's going on definitely supports the current rhetoric of some governments.  

• Like 1

I think the UK only gets 5% of its gas from Russia, however with Europe as a big customer of Russia we can expect to see those prices rise as everyone scrambles to get remaining supplies. 

This war is pretty typical, in that it's the political powers that are upset with each other, rather than the people. Putin saw the soviet union crash, so watching Ukraine align with Europe and NATO is probably too bitter a pill for him to swallow. I don't think his people give a hoot, largely speaking anyway. 

We have a lot of shale gas reserves, and really need to take advantage of those now. Coal is not viable as our infrastructure has already changed so much that there'd be little to do with it if we did dig it out of the ground. 

Doesn't help that about half our power is from combined cycle gas turbines... We really needed to be on the eco train earlier. My company is only just now scrambling to get on it as they've finally seen the maths on how long we can keep going as we are before it becomes uneconomical. 

22 minutes ago, husoi said:

Strangely enough. Not a word from Trump and his dodgy business with Putin... 🤔

Actually Trumpsaid last night it was a "brilliant move" from Putin but had he been president Putin wouldn't have done it. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Actually Trumpsaid last night it was a "brilliant move" from Putin but had he been president Putin wouldn't have done it. Make of that what you will.

He also said he knows put in very well, very very well and it would never have happened on his watch 😂 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

He also said he knows putin very well, very very well and it would never have happened on his watch 😂 

He didn't mentioned how beautiful would have been????

🤣

• Haha 2

Tawain, half of Africa, the Philippines, Some of south America, Nepal//

This just on China side.

If Putin is allowed to take Ukraine it will be a matter of time to have the old USSR back together.

I'd be very concerned if I was living in one of the Baltic States. The Russian  megalomaniac will probably not be satisfied with the Ukraine. We've sold our souls for cheap shite from the East and once he's kicked the door in once what's stopping him from repeating the exercise? Sure as hell not us or our allies.

• Like 1

In 2014, I jokingly posted a picture of a smiling Putin with the caption "Ukraine? Don't you mean, Mykraine?". 

I honestly thought if he went as far as war, he'd be assassinated and it all look like a clever accident by someone on in the inside in Russia. 

Watched on other platforms like Reddit last night, the Russia group suddenly switched to members only. And in the past few weeks they've all been playing victim at the anti-Russian rhetoric floating around. And that their leader isn't planning anything of the sort with Ukraine. The more level headed posts were from people comparing what the media on both sides was saying, and trying to work out what was going on in the middle. As usual, most people didn't actually want war. 

Definitely looks like we are sliding into some very dark times. But how far, and for how long is still up for grabs. World couldn't take a breather after 2 years of pandemic? 

• Like 3

What the world needs to consider is Putin's allies.

China

North Korea

Venezuela

Cuba (to an extent)

Iran

Bielorus

Vietnam (silent support)

among others

Plus citizens of former USSR republics that are extremely unhappy with the survival conditions their country have become since leaving the union. whom are now thinking, right or wrongly, that maybe was not a very clever move.

Putin isn't playing the short term game as it is proof the 8 years of undermining Ukraine's eastern regions.

Plus 20 years creating a western dependency on their resources.

Russia and China together make a far larger economy than EU or USA and they know it very well.

Not defending either of them, I'm absolutely against any type of violence (except on cyclists 😋) and any invasion (or whatever you want to call it) is an abomination and the guy should be shot.

• Like 2

Ukraine can muster serious numbers of boots on ground but unfortunately large troop concentrations are fairly easy to deal with if they don't have the support to go with them, wooden guns are definitely a drawback. 

Gas jumped 25% this morning, estimated  if it continues another 1k on price caps next time round, think gas is expensive this winter, if it carries on its going to be extortionate next. 

• Like 2

$100 a barrel for oil and rising. Dark times ahead. We foolishly believed our own propaganda that the days of militaristic loons physically attacking their neighbours were gone forever.  Quite why we thought that I have no idea. Now of course we are under equipped in military terms and are in no fit state to defend ourselves let alone anyone else.

Notice the Poundshop Napoleon who recently castigated NATO as "brain dead" and tried sucking up to Putin is now squealing for an immediate, urgent NATO summit. What a surprise. 

• Like 2

IMHO NATO need to stay out of this conflict,  this is just the sort of war that could escalate very quickly.  As husoi already said, just look at the countries Russia is allied to, dictatorships run by leaders with itchy trigger fingers! ..... And yes, fuel is going to go up,  just didn't expect to see it happen so soon,  already gone up by 2p a litre at my local station "they don't waste any time" 🙄