How do I choose a bike

Kgibbs

So I'm a Pettie about 7.5 to 8 stone and only around 5ft with not much strength I want to learn how to ride but I don't know where to start with choosing a bike and I honestly don't know much about bikes the other day I was looking at different styles and correct me if I'm wrong but the cruiser and touring styled bikes seemed more suitable for me but I don't really know what they are on about if anyone could help it would be much appreciated aScreenshot_20220401-224017.thumb.png.534e7348760b5d24b82496d951b07038.pngnd also if anyone knows any safe places to buy second hand bikes I was going to try market place but as I don't know what I'm looking for I didn't want to buy something that needed more work then what I paid for something not for me and something that doesn't work also this is the site I used when looking at styles 

Maybe take a look somewhere like here for starters they have loads of different t used bikes you can go and sit on and look at to get a good idea of what works for you

https://superbikefactory.co.uk/all-motorbikes/

Unless you have a bit of knowledge of maintaining biked already or have the budget for a garage to check it over and potentially repair I'd avoid a privste seller for your first 125 until you are confident you know what potential issues you need to look for 

Edited by MikeHorton

Choosing a bike is largely about a style you like the look of and a bit about what you will use it for. What do you plan to use the bike for, short day trips, commuting, long tours? Have you done cbt yet?

As above try a good start might be to find a few dealerships and have a look and sit on some, see what appeals.

Bear in mind shorter riders can ride tall bikes but it can feel nicer for people if they can put their feet down flat. You can get lowering kits for bikes as well.

13 minutes ago, Kgibbs said:

The longest ride I'd do would be around 20 mins into the city centre and okay that makes sense 

Okare you new to bikes and would be on a cbt with L plates. If so just look at the style of bike you like and a budget. Maybe discount adventure/enduro if you are shortish but if it'd a short journey it shouldn't exclude any particular style as you don't have to worry about getting a numb bum etc after hours. 

Get your CBT ride what the school have.. buy a 125cc you feel comfortable on.  

The school might be able to advise on local places to buy a 125 or bigger bike if you decide to go bigger.  Although good bikes can be challenging to find service history goes a long way.  If looking second hand taking a friend along who knows bikes would be helpful.

if your looking to go into town with no Fast roads a 125 would start you on a journey.  If you enjoy it you will be going to the next town and Looking for a full licence and bigger bike.

Next you will find your local town is actually 100 miles away but you find the McVities digestive biscuits in that store are fresher. The route you take might not be direct because you don’t like motorways or you prefer the coffee in certain cafes….

• Like 1

Your height and strength are irrelevant, it is technique and developing your skills that are important, but you must feel comfortable and build up your confidence.

Here's a nice video for you to watch.

15 hours ago, Kgibbs said:

The longest ride I'd do would be around 20 mins into the city centre and okay that makes sense 

Go to a reputable dealership (not superbikefactory who are a pile them high and sell them cheap operation with no customer support) and ask if you can sit on various bikes. You're looking at a 125 to do your CBT on and there are several suitable for smaller riders (eg Suzuki VanVan). Not all dealers will have all bikes in stock.

It might help to say whereabouts you are because folks on here may be able to suggest dealerships that are good and also advise some to avoid. 

Ask also about good training schools. A decent school will have bikes suitable for different sized riders.

I agree with the superbike factory but they have loads of bikes to look at and sit on then find them at a decent dealer it's hard to find a dealer that has a good selection of lots of used bikes. There's one not too far from us in Malvern motorbikes4all good to go and sit on a load etc. 

Find a bike that you like and join a FB group as a non participant just to get the feel for the subject . For me , the Honda CG 125 is the optimum choice for a first time rider . https://www.facebook.com/groups/cg125uksales/?ref=share