Wales 2022

Stu

Just like @fastbob its that time of year for me too! 

Its starting to become a yearly thing where me and the missus book last minute and sod off to wales for around 4 days :lol: 

Got a hotel booked in Betws y Coed route planned going and a route planned to go up to mach loop as I have seen it mentioned a few time on here so I thought I would give it a look

Setting off tomorrow morning and will be back Friday night :cool: 

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

Its starting to become a yearly thing where me and the missus book last minute and sod off to wales for around 4 days :lol: 

Got a hotel booked in Betws y Coed route planned going and a route planned to go up to mach loop as I have seen it mentioned a few time on here so I thought I would give it a look

I didn't know it was called the Mach Loop back in the Seventies but I was with my family walking alongside Llyn Mwyngil when a Blackburn Buccaneer came flat out overhead at zero feet . I didn't hear it until it was upon us so it must have been fast but subsonic . The best bit was afterwards when for nearly a minute the air was filled with whistles and crackles and all kinds of strange noises . An amazing sight . 

• Like 2

Love Wales, spend about 3 weeks a year up there.

Got some good roads near Betws y Coed,  the A548/544/543, but enjoy it, looks like you'll have the weather to scrub them tyres in well😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Love Wales, spend about 3 weeks a year up there.

Got some good roads near Betws y Coed,  the A548/544/543, but enjoy it, looks like you'll have the weather to scrub them tyres in well😂

Tyres are well scrubbed already 🤣🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I think there are some sources of information online that will tell you when something is flying through the Mach Loop. At least 3 times a week f15e's from Lakenheath fly across to it mid morning time.

• Like 1

Made a good start this morning and set off at 8 on the route I planned yesterday and I must say the route was fantastic! We prefer little winding roads and just taking it all in on the way! 

Arrived at around 4 with 3 or 4 stops on the way 

This is our digs for 3 nights 

The Waterloo Hotel in betws y Coed 

They have lodges that you can park right outside with use of all their facilities too swimming pool sauna gym etc 

20220712_172328.jpg

20220712_172113~2.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Made a good start this morning and set off at 8 on the route I planned yesterday and I must say the route was fantastic! We prefer little winding roads and just taking it all in on the way! 

They have lodges that you can park right outside with use of all their facilities too swimming pool sauna gym etc 

20220712_172328.jpg

20220712_172113~2.jpg

Good rear plate to have, I hear the North Wales police are a bit ‘keen’ 😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Good rear plate to have, I hear the North Wales police are a bit ‘keen’ 😁

Never had any issues to be honest and not really seen any police either 

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

20220712_172328.jpg

20220712_172113~2.jpg

Looks great ill remember this one for a short break in the future. I've got a short break in Wales in September and hopefully a day trip to Tenby on Friday all being well. 

• Like 1

655 miles later and we are back home! 

We set off on Tuesday heading to Wales on a pre planned route meandering along the countryside at a steady pace with no rush whatsoever it took us about 7 hours to do 220 miles with 4 stops involved

The route was pretty decent and its probably the best one I have done so far heading to Wales. I avoid as many major roads as possible and just take it steady well whats the rush? its supposed to be a tour right? 

We had booked The waterloo Hotel in Betws Y Coed for 3 nights this has lodges away from the hotel with parking right to the door which puts your mind at ease that the bike is close by. 

20220712_172113~2.jpg

20220712_172328.jpg

We also had free use of all the facilities at the hotel should you wish which include swimming sauna and a gym if you really want to. We gave it all a miss though 

The next day we took a ride to Mach loop. I have seen it mentioned a few times on here so had a google and planned a route which took us straight there and then back up the coast road then heading up towards Snowdon and back in to Betws Y Coed. 

The plan was just to go for a ride and if we saw and low flying aircraft then thats a bonus 

As we was heading round a plane flew right over our heads and I just saw it disappear :lol: It was low it was loud and it was fast! I would love to have been there early and parked up like all the spotters do for the day :lol: 

We pulled up at a place near Corris to have a pitstop and keep an eye out to see if anything else followed but no sightings this time! 

image.jpeg

The coast road up through Barmouth and Harlech was pretty decent but was fairly busy! lots of slow bloody tourists :lol: 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

From Harlech we followed a route through Penrhyndeudraeth, Porthmadog following the A498, A4086 Then the A5 back down to Betws Y Coed stopping for some dinner and to enjoy the views :cool: 

image.jpeg

Day 2 was spent just riding around with no real plan except to go to Ponderosa Cafe even though I said I wouldn't due to them lowering the speed limit to 40 on the horseshoe pass:lol: 

image.jpeg

Coming home I decided to take the same route back as it was a decent route 

Overall it was another amazing trip to Wales with awesome roads, scenery and weather if you have never visited Wales then stick it on your bucket list just remember to book the weather :lol: 

The bike was faultless and returned 62.6mpg on the trip according to the on board computer which is what you want when touring 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Stu said:

655 later and we are back home! 

We set off on Tuesday heading to Wales on a pre planned route meandering along the countryside at a steady pace with no rush whatsoever it took us about 7 hours to do 220 miles with 4 stops involved

The route was pretty decent and its probably the best one I have done so far heading to Wales. I avoid as many major roads as possible and just take it steady well whats the rush? its supposed to be a tour right? 

We had booked The waterloo Hotel in Betws Y Coed for 3 nights this has lodges away from the hotel with parking right to the door which puts your mind at ease that the bike is close by. 

20220712_172113~2.jpg

20220712_172328.jpg

We also had free use of all the facilities at the hotel should you wish which include swimming sauna and a gym if you really want to. We gave it all a miss though 

The next day we took a ride to Mach loop. I have seen it mentioned a few times on here so had a google and planned a route which took us straight there and then back up the coast road then heading up towards Snowdon and back in to Betws Y Coed. 

The plan was just to go for a ride and if we saw and low flying aircraft then thats a bonus 

As we was heading round a plane flew right over our heads and I just saw it disappear :lol: It was low it was loud and it was fast! I would love to have been there early and parked up like all the spotters do for the day :lol: 

We pulled up at a place near Corris to have a pitstop and keep an eye out to see if anything else followed but no sightings this time! 

image.jpeg

The coast road up through Barmouth and Harlech was pretty decent but was fairly busy! lots of slow bloody tourists :lol: 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

From Harlech we followed a route through Penrhyndeudraeth, Porthmadog following the A498, A4086 Then the A5 back down to Betws Y Coed stopping for some dinner and to enjoy the views :cool: 

image.jpeg

Day 2 was spent just riding around with no real plan except to go to Ponderosa Cafe even though I said I wouldn't due to them lowering the speed limit to 40 on the horseshoe pass:lol: 

image.jpeg

Coming home I decided to take the same route back as it was a decent route 

Overall it was another amazing trip to Wales with awesome roads, scenery and weather if you have never visited Wales then stick it on your bucket list just remember to book the weather :lol: 

The bike was faultless and returned 62.6mpg on the trip according to the on board computer which is what you want when touring 

Looks great and perfect weather too. Daytrip to Tenby today was going to have fish and chips alas I walked past an Italian restaurant which smelt amazing and ended up with lobster and pasta! 

IMG-20220715-WA0008.jpg

Edited by MikeHorton
  • Like 2