Internet - an odd request…

onesea

My mother in law has just moved into a new flat.  It has one critical flaw, there is Zero Phone signal, yup if you put your head out the window.

Inside it will not even get a WhatApp to text message saying call me.

However we help her online with Bills, Banking, shopping you name it.  We where going to get her broadband but even a simple package doubles her phone bill to just over £40 a month.

The challenge is she is traditional and will only use a BT phone.  Are there any work arounds or 3rd party “small” broadband packages add ons we can get for the little data that is needed…

We have managed to use a phone in the window as hot spot to power a tablet, but it’s far from ideal.

The only real alternative to BT is Virgin who have their own infrastructure.

What you will get from any other supplier is a different costumer service on BT network.

Because I can't get Virgin where I live I'm using Zen internet and I'm very happy with the costumer service.

connection is shait because it's BT 🙄

I would start by asking the neighbours if another network has reception in the block and then see if you can trial a mobile dongle for internet access.

I once lived in a village that was a dead spot for one provider and was fine for my Voda signal.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

I would start by asking the neighbours if another network has reception in the block and then see if you can trial a mobile dongle for internet access.

I once lived in a village that was a dead spot for one provider and was fine for my Voda signal.

Cheers

Ian

You can manually search for networks on your phone and see signal strength 

Screenshot_20220725-140141.png

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

I was thinking something like this in the Window.
https://www.onbuy.com/gb/unlocked-4g-lte-mobile-broadband-wifi-wireless-router-portable-mifi-hotspot~c11647~p40955808/?exta=bingsh&stat=eyJpcCI6IjIwLjQxMDAiLCJkcCI6IjAuMDAwMCIsImxpZCI6ODY1NDI2MTUsInMiOiI1MDAiLCJ0IjoxNjU4NjI3MjMzLCJibWMiOjB9&exta=bingsh&msclkid=ee57a07bfa8714f26d09c2a55d175374&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(GB%3A SAD) Electronics %26 Technology&utm_term=4575548924741376&utm_content=(GB%3A SAD) Electronics %26 Technology - 12

I do like @Bender idea will do next time I am there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

That`s interesting to know.

Sorry I am just old school and would have used it as an excuse to meet the neighbours lol.

Cheers

Ian

I've sometimes had to switch off auto network and let phone search when we are away and pick network myself if it refuses to connect to a network, sometimes even that don't work. 

Went to Vegas and it would not use any of the networks, even ee couldn't work it out,  flew to another state worked straight away. 

+1 for leeching off the neighbours wifi. Invite yourself round for a cuppa and when they're not looking take a quick photo of the back of their router where the wifi code is printed. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Being out of range on certain networks is not uncommon . I can't even get a trace of a Signal on Three ( 3 ) inside my flat despite being able to see a cluster of masts through my window . O2 ( Same as Tesco ) , on the other hand , works all over the place including the remote parts of Scotland ..

for £20 of FB we are collecting a router type thing.  Next it will be a survey of the flat for the best receptions.

@fastbob One thing to be aware of if using cheaper network like Tesco that uses 02 if your in a marginal area i understand that when the network get busy they will prioritise 02 phones over Tesco etc.

For most it will make little difference, however live somewhere with marginal reception and/ or where population levels vary massively you do notice the difference.

Even on the main networks it makes a difference holiday time I cannot talk to my sister whilst walking dogs mid winter (but not Christmas /new year) I can.

On 27/07/2022 at 14:44, onesea said:

for £20 of FB we are collecting a router type thing.  Next it will be a survey of the flat for the best receptions.

@fastbob One thing to be aware of if using cheaper network like Tesco that uses 02 if your in a marginal area i understand that when the network get busy they will prioritise 02 phones over Tesco etc.

For most it will make little difference, however live somewhere with marginal reception and/ or where population levels vary massively you do notice the difference.

Even on the main networks it makes a difference holiday time I cannot talk to my sister whilst walking dogs mid winter (but not Christmas /new year) I can.

I've never had an issue so far . It's astonishing how fast coverage has improved over the last few years . I can get internet access just about anywhere now but there are still a few blind spots notably the Red Squirrel campsite in Glen Coe where I spent a miserable 24 hours in torrential rain with absolutely f**k all to do . And then my bike got water in the electrics and went bonkers .