St Helens test centre WA9 1NS Wrong distance eye test!!!

I read that the eyesight test is done from 20 metres. Well today I watched a couple of people where asked to do this from 25 metres!!!

They where asked to stand on the kerb that runs directly next to where it says car test parking and asked to read a number plate from the cars parked where it says Examiner parking, now if you measure this distance on google maps it is 25 metres!!! The accuracy of the measurement can be confirmed by measuring the distance using the same tool on google maps on the tarmacked area behind the test centre of the HGV reversing area which is marked out in metres and WILL be accurate. I wonder how many people have wrongly failed the eyesight test and failed their test straight away?

No idea but I would prefer to see a proper measured distance than Google earth, I'm still good for a number plate at 25m 😁 

It's never going to be a dead on measurement but 5m would seem a bit excessive if correct 

It is correct, if you look at the postcode on google you will see 7 parking bays, the distance is from the start of parking bays all the way to examiner parking bays, which is about 10 parking bays, dvsa guidance on website says 8 parking bays is about 20 metres, also the google earth measurement can be calibrated against the HGV reversing area which is marked out in metres and it is bang on. I am good up to just under 30 metres without glasses but someone who meets the legal requirement at say 22 metres but after that they don't, are going to fail because they will be stood at 25 metres. 

Web capture_29-7-2022_175547_www.google.co.uk.jpeg

Web capture_29-7-2022_175418_www.google.co.uk.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wiganlearner said:

It is correct, if you look at the postcode on google you will see 7 parking bays, the distance is from the start of parking bays all the way to examiner parking bays, which is about 10 parking bays, dvsa guidance on website says 8 parking bays is about 20 metres, also the google earth measurement can be calibrated against the HGV reversing area which is marked out in metres and it is bang on. I am good up to just under 30 metres without glasses but someone who meets the legal requirement at say 22 metres but after that they don't, are going to fail because they will be stood at 25 metres. 

Web capture_29-7-2022_175547_www.google.co.uk.jpeg

Web capture_29-7-2022_175418_www.google.co.uk.jpeg

I admire your photographic investigation, have you brought this up with them? 

39 minutes ago, Bender said:

I admire your photographic investigation, have you brouIght this up with them? 

If my daughter fails the test when she does it then yes I will, I just took her to the test centre to have look at the layout of the road.

2 minutes ago, wiganlearner said:

If my daughter fails the test when she does it then yes I will, I just took her to the test centre to have look at the layout of the road.

Should be fairly straightforward to test your daughters sight at 25m before 

• Like 1

Those extra 5m would probably make the difference in my case. On a good day I can read the number plate at the required distance, but have been known to get it wrong. Wore glasses to my MOD 2 (Chester) as a precaution.

6 hours ago, wiganlearner said:

The point is the legal requirement is 20 metres regardless.

It is, but,no how matter how much you bemoan that point to us we are not the test center, they have a complaints procedure or as I've said just talk to someone there. 

Was it a new style number plate or old style as the distances are different for them .

If its set a bit further and you fail .... the examiner will suggest you move closer and if still within the set distance all is good .

They may use the kerb as a base line 

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

Was it a new style number plate or old style as the distances are different for them .

If its set a bit further and you fail .... the examiner will suggest you move closer and if still within the set distance all is good .

They may use the kerb as a base line 

Driving fault recorded
1a Eyesight:

• Unable to read a number plate at 67 feet or 20.5 metres (or if new style number plate 66 feet or 20 metres) which is about five car lengths. This is a serious fault resulting in the termination of the test.