Uninsurable due to red tape

Westmoors

I have not ridden a bike for many years but wanted to get back into the fraternity if at all possible, I bought a bike and filled in the on line form but foolishly stated I had a 9+ NCB, this was simply because many years ago I had insurances but never saw any mention of N C B's, possibly they may never have been around in 1962 ! But I thought I should qualify so I put 9+.. The insurer passed the application as it was but shortly afterwards re checked on the NCB and asked me to edit it as they could find no evidence I ever had any.  So I altered it to zero.

Immediately I was told the policy was withdrawn and the reason given was I did not have any NCB's !   Corresponding afterwards the insurer did concede that they thought this statement was an error on my part and that there was no intention of fraud etc, however this fact could not be altered so any further applications for any motorbike insurance with them, or as I found out with any other company were always rejected because of the question " have you ever had any insurance refused or cancelled " and of course on saying yes the application stops dead in it's tracks

No amount of reasoning with the insurer could get me any further, it seemed to me they seemed to be wearing blinkers and earplugs !  So I am now stuck with an almost brand new bike in my garage which I can't insure or tax.   Does anyone know of an insurance expert who could unravel such a mess ? I would be very grateful for suggestions. Westmoors

I have always found Bennetts and Bikesure very helpful.  Ring them and speak to their advisers, as oppose to filling out the online forms.  I'm sure they'll be able to give you some advice and help.

I once questioned a policy when they would not let me increase the mileage.

I was advised to cancel the insurance by the ombudsman before then insurance company did.

So I did not end up in this mess apparently it's a thing some insurance companies like to do.

It can cause no end of pain.

Edited by onesea

Thanks for all the replies, I am very  grateful, yes they do stich you up on the slightest excuse, Bikesure were the group I was using but at the end I gave up, I could not understand their logic of telling you that you had to have N C B's but as I did not have any they could not quote.  They tell you there is a fault but never attempt to suggest how to get out of the mess.

from the messages I sent they must have known I was struggling and even admitted the error I made was genuine and not an attempt to decieve,  all  I can say is No soul.

Thanks Kawa and all the others who have replied but to find an expert who you can talk to face to face, well I have tried that and found it impossible, they all route you back to the most popular web sites, I have tried several times before without success  W

3 hours ago, Westmoors said:

Thanks Kawa and all the others who have replied but to find an expert who you can talk to face to face, well I have tried that and found it impossible, they all route you back to the most popular web sites, I have tried several times before without success  W

Now please don't be offend old chap but do I detect a hint of defeatism in your writings ? I'm quite that if you get the right operative at the right broker you'll be able to straighten this out in a jiffy . 

It's not red tape, it's standard that you don't accrue NCB if you're not riding a bike, or driving a car for that matter. The biggest gap you can have is 2 years but you must have been insured on a bike prior to that gap.

• Like 1

Id been without "a proper mode of transport" (bike) for  a number of years before I realised the error of my ways and got back onto 2 wheels. I went through Bikesure via their online form but contacted them directly on the phone and had no issues with arranging cover. I've been with them now nearly 6yrs and had no problems, so much so that before moving over here to Tunisia lock stock n barrel I contacted them and informed them that at some point the bike would be moving here also. I was informed both on the phone and via email that so long as the bike was still UK registered and was not out of the UK/EU a maximum of 180 consecutive days a years then I would be covered. All this for an extra £10 on my yearly premium, a 20 minute phone call and a couple of follow up emails. It actually makes a whole world of difference and easier to explain things one to one on the phone, lot better than the now common automated forms and computer generated answers on the now common automated phone systems.

• Like 1