Help! Screw fallen into bike!

MotorBike001

Hi, I've been an idiot and dropped a Quadlock screw (about an inch long) into my Kawasaki 1000SX - and it's gone under the fuel tank.

The red arrow is where it fell, (the 2 yellow circles are 2 bolts I've removed)

1013210615_Pic1.thumb.jpg.dcb1bea1b1c747c7904b0fa858637a8b.jpg

Here's another photo close-up

1319405413_Pic2.thumb.jpg.17c72dfa2b1cf72984eca6ac106ab66a.jpg

When it first fell down there I could see it, and tried to get it with a magnetic screwdriver, but it fell even further down - and made a small clink.

What are my options?

1. Remove the bolts holding in the fuel tank, and lift it, and get access to the screw.  I did undo a few bolts but the fuel tank is still rock solid.

2. Ring Kawasaki and ask them what to do - the bike is 2 weeks old..

3. Call out bike breakdown

TIA 

• Sad 1

There are YouTube videos showing how to remove the tank. You probably don't need to fully remove it, just enough to move it back enough to get at wherever the bolt has dropped into. 

It is annoying but you aren't the first and won't be the last. 

I thought about checking YouTube just after posting this.  I found a video of the fairing being removed on a 1000SX - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnIzC4JJclg

I managed to follow this and on lifting the tank could see the screw about 10 inches away.  I couldn't get anything to grab it so have ordered a flexible claw crabber from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow - https://www.amazon.co.uk/NoCry-Pick-up-Tool-Set-Telescoping/dp/B07D24Q9BP

I'll keep you all posted.. 

It's not a bad idea to keep some old towels in the workshop. Lay them out over the bike when doing any work. They help prevent paintwork damage when tools slip and also prevent things dropping into places you don't want them to disappear into. 

Just to clarify, @fastboband I posted simultaneously above. My reference to a blob of grease being easier was in reference to trying to use a claw tool rather than blu tac. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It's not a bad idea to keep some old towels in the workshop. Lay them out over the bike when doing any work. They help prevent paintwork damage when tools slip and also prevent things dropping into places you don't want them to disappear into. 

Yes - I'll do this from now on.  I didn't realise the hassle it could cause dropping a screw.