Marc Travels - UK on an electric bike

Mississippi Bullfrog

TeapotOne also did a big electric bike trip recently, part 3 is due out this week I believe. He did a 96 hour iron butt challenge on an electric bike, and did the four furthest corners of the UK, including lands end and John O'Groats. A good watch for those who like seeing this tech develop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

TeapotOne also did a big electric bike trip recently, part 3 is due out this week I believe. He did a 96 hour iron butt challenge on an electric bike, and did the four furthest corners of the UK, including lands end and John O'Groats. A good watch for those who like seeing this tech develop.

I think this one about broke him. The 125 trip took ages but electric was on another level of endurance 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

I think this one about broke him. The 125 trip took ages but electric was on another level of endurance 

In my view he took the 20-80% charge level too seriously. Keeping between those limits effectively limited him to 60-70 miles per charge, so doing 2300 miles was going to be a mammoth undertaking. But he had to back track to recharge on a couple of occasions, and charging in Scotland seemed to be a real problem! Their infrastructure was a lot worse than Englands, even though I thought we had it bad.

But it highlights while outside of commuting, lithium batteries don't make sense in motorcycles. We need the next generation to come through, carbon based or graphene batteries. There's even a couple of nickel types that would boost energy density by 3-400% and allow rapid charging even at the <10% and >90% levels of charge.

• Like 1

IMHO it's not just the charging issues that are going to kill off motorcycle touring, it's the eye watering cost of the bikes.  A British company has just produced an electric bike, nothing special, it was tested on the Bennett's web site, starting price for the bike is 90k!!!! I mean FFS what ordinary mortal is going to be able to afford that.  I think what this video confirmed for me is that the bike is ok for commuting, but a ten day trip to Spain, or even the NC500 .... Forget it.

• Like 3