Proper Noob

Allanmania

On 02/11/2022 at 19:46, Allanmania said:

Hi all,

passed my CBT 26th Oct.

purchased my 125cc Sinnis Outlaw. 28th Oct.

let the fun begin 

Hi...I started around the same time.... It was either a sinnis outlaw or lexmoto Detroit for me...I chose the Detroit and love it..... How are you getting on with the outlaw?

Hi, I’m doing okay thanks. With work/social life and the weather in Scotland I’m only getting a wee shot at the weekends. About 70 miles on relatively local roads so far. Still need plenty practice. Still “feel” vehicles behind me on 60 roads too close but I guess I just have to ignore them and ride to the speed I’m comfortable with. 
Just thinking today commuting on my 125 may be 6 months away 😞. I have not ventured out in the dark yet.

How about you?

2 hours ago, Allanmania said:

Still “feel” vehicles behind me on 60 roads too close but I guess I just have to ignore them and ride to the speed I’m comfortable with. 

You got the idea, sadly an L plate seems to encourage pushing and bad manners from drivers.

Don’t get pushed ride at the pace your comfortable with.  Riding in the dark will come the more you use your bike the more comfortable you will be.
Going to the shop, or just running errands is cracking experience.  Local rides in nice weather in the dark might crack the dark for you.  Try not to do it to destinations, just getting on it and out is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/11/2022 at 21:02, Allanmania said:

Hi, I’m doing okay thanks. With work/social life and the weather in Scotland I’m only getting a wee shot at the weekends. About 70 miles on relatively local roads so far. Still need plenty practice. Still “feel” vehicles behind me on 60 roads too close but I guess I just have to ignore them and ride to the speed I’m comfortable with. 
Just thinking today commuting on my 125 may be 6 months away 😞. I have not ventured out in the dark yet.

How about you?

Loving it..... Since Oct 11 I got over 300miles....I go to work and back every day and save a load on fuel money....I work early/lates every other week so at least one of my daily commutes is in the dark....4.30 in the morning is cold but great, no one else about. Passed my mod 1 couple of days ago and am thinking Jan or Feb for my mod 2

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tigs said:

Well done on passing Mod 1...  out of interest why are you planning to wait for mod 2?

Purely to get more xp.....I'm not having any lessons and at the moment Im still a little late remembering to cancel my signals, and I need more practice doing my lifesavers etc...I do them, but want to make sure I'm doing them as the examiner expects...I dunno maybe I'll take the plunge and just book it soon as poss lol... I'll think about it.

Its getting the technique right - confidence and experience. My worry is leave the gap too long - and you may pick up bad habits.  I've not done Mod 1.. not even been on a big bike yet - but have done over 250 miles on my 125 in the past month or so

I think my confidence and road positioning are better - I have good slow control (have done lots of figure 8's and U turns)... but I still have to think through the lifesavers - earlier for example I life saved right - when I think it should have been left..  and sometimes I don't fit them in- and I think that is a straight fail - 

On 17/11/2022 at 16:22, Tigs said:

Its getting the technique right - confidence and experience. My worry is leave the gap too long - and you may pick up bad habits.  I've not done Mod 1.. not even been on a big bike yet - but have done over 250 miles on my 125 in the past month or so

I think my confidence and road positioning are better - I have good slow control (have done lots of figure 8's and U turns)... but I still have to think through the lifesavers - earlier for example I life saved right - when I think it should have been left..  and sometimes I don't fit them in- and I think that is a straight fail - 

I get what your saying about picking up bad habits..... But I am an ex driving instructor and I seem to get into the training mindset fairly easy....I also am friends with an ex bike instructor so he gives me tips on positioning and life savers etc.... Are you planning on doing your test for A licence or like me opting for A1 ( I really ain't to bothered with a big bike for now, though I may change mind in the future)

I'm going for  a full licence - I want a bit of a faster bike -mine struggles going up slopes! I figure if I have to borrow a bike for the test may as well do it all in one go!

I went for my taster on a big bike today - I really enjoyed it - it is not that different really. . just need to 'look more' .. and have more confidence. Have booked to do full training in Dec. Fingers firmly crossed