Rodents in the loft…..

Troy

Suspecting we have a rodent of some description making itself at home in our loft. We hear lots of scurrying around up there at night time. Then the cats sit and stare up at the ceiling. 

Unfortunately, I can’t send the cats up there in due to the insulation. I may also get clawed up trying to get them down. 

Never had to deal with this before… so I’m asking for some advice. Any products you recommend, what works and what won’t!? I think the wife would prefer to keep things humane.

We live in a rural area and rodents are a constant issue as the weather gets colder.

I have a sonic deterrent in the loft and haven't seen or heard anything up there since installing it.

I have traps in various places, peanut butter being a good bait. The garage regularly catches mice but since the sonic deterrent was installed in the loft I've not had a single trap go off up there.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

A rat got into my loft (and down the cavity and under the floor). Get a professional in to kill the bugger ASAP. My alarm kept going off as it chewed through the wiring and it chewed through the shower control cable. The cost of the professional killer was considerably less than the cost of fixing the damage, and trying to get all the possible gaps filled where it could have got in.

Poison, traps and check where they are getting in.

Keep on top of them for a whilst after they remember where they like.

Oh and when you move the dish washer a years later, watch they haven't chewed the insulation 🤯

I'd 2nd getting a professional in. Brother had a rat issue in his garden when he moved into his new house this year, neighbours had a messy garden and they were living under neighbours old shed. Local council came out and brother got 3 visits for the money and neighbour got told to sort their shitty garden out worked out cheaper than using a private company too 

I called local council too, for the same problem. Although I'm not a tenant of theirs, they were really helpful and didn't charge the earth.

I now use the sonic deterrents for a few weeks once the cold weather starts, and not had a problem for a few years now.

Push traps up against the wall. Rodents tend to scurry along walls rather than across open ground so pushing up against the wall will ensure they encounter the bait and will have to step across it regardless.

Additionally, once you catch one or the trap triggers, relocate it to another area. Rodents are likely to avoid that route. 

4 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Push traps up against the wall. Rodents tend to scurry along walls rather than across open ground so pushing up against the wall will ensure they encounter the bait and will have to step across it regardless.

Additionally, once you catch one or the trap triggers, relocate it to another area. Rodents are likely to avoid that route. 

Unless it's a squirrel. You have to knock it on the head, you can't release it once caught.