Buying first bike - Cat N

Frottle

Hello,

I'm new here, and only got my license a month ago, but I've been shopping around and I've found a bike that's a 2022 model, looks to be fine, but it's cat N. I'm assuming the insurance company as tried to pull a fast one on the current owner(?) as it's being sold incredibly cheaply.

It'll be my first bike, and assuming I can get insurance for it, does anyone have any words of advice? I can do any minor work/services myself. I was speaking to a friend and they've warned me off, but i'm keen as it's the bike I've been looking for for months.

So the bike is less than a year old and its already been written off as uneconomic repair? You need to have a very close look over the bike and make a list of all the parts that need repairing or replacing. It will not be cheap and the bike will always be a Cat N so will not be worth as much plus get insurance quotes first as some insurance companies dont like Cat write offs.

Quite often the first bike is just a stepping stone to either a bigger bike or something that is more desirable to you. I would recommend you think about something that is easier to sell. Nothing wrong with a cat n but for me the bike would have to be something I had lusted after and wanted to keep 

55 minutes ago, Richard said:

Quite often the first bike is just a stepping stone to either a bigger bike or something that is more desirable to you. I would recommend you think about something that is easier to sell. Nothing wrong with a cat n but for me the bike would have to be something I had lusted after and wanted to keep 

Good point. The cat N will be much cheaper than a clean one but will sell for a lot less too and will be harder to sell on. 

Better off buying a slightly older bike that's clean and easy to move on from unless as you say it's something you really wanted and plan to keep for a very long time 

3 hours ago, Old-codger said:

So the bike is less than a year old and its already been written off as uneconomic repair? You need to have a very close look over the bike and make a list of all the parts that need repairing or replacing. It will not be cheap and the bike will always be a Cat N so will not be worth as much plus get insurance quotes first as some insurance companies dont like Cat write offs.

The seller says it's already been repaired. I've asked what happened, but they'll only say they've dropped it. I've already gone online about an insurance quote using the reg in the photo, so assuming that's safe, then it's cheap enough to insure.

The point of selling it on is mute honestly, if it runs, i'm quite happy just keeping it for a long time.

Can I link the page for the bike, or is that a no no?

The seller has said the repairs have  been made, and judging by the photos that's correct. I asked about the MOT, but apparently it's still valid for the next 3 years? I'm not sure how that's correct if it's been written off, sure an MOT would then be necessary to assure it's road legal?

I'm not sure about the MOT on Cat N but its needed on Cat S. I bought a Cat N Fazer with very little cosmetic damage, I got a new MOT test on the bike. I fitted a new indicator, repaired the headlight surround and a second hand mirror. They write all types of vehicles off these days with little damage because of high parts cost and labour rates.  Its a cracking bike and I dont think I will ever part with it. John.

5 minutes ago, Frottle said:

You can see some scoring on the underside of the exhaust, but the owner says all the repairs have already been made and it's being used.

It does look nice I can see why you want it. I would look at its value and set yourself a limit on your bids its easy to get carried away! It has a decent proven engine the 650 good luck with your bidding

Looks OK. Not a very well written ad. Have you been to see it? It seems a bit odd with the cat n, and such low mileage, but im pretty cautious about these things. Have you done an hpi check? 

There's plenty of choice for those bikes if you're set on one but I guess it comes down to how much cheaper it is as a cat N. 

5 hours ago, goat said:

Looks OK. Not a very well written ad. Have you been to see it? It seems a bit odd with the cat n, and such low mileage, but im pretty cautious about these things. Have you done an hpi check? 

There's plenty of choice for those bikes if you're set on one but I guess it comes down to how much cheaper it is as a cat N. 

Aye exactly! It's <i>so</i> cheap. And I wouldn't want to resell it really, it's the bike I want, and it's basically brand new. I've been airing on the cautious side as well, seems a bit sketch, but what I imagine has happened is it's been dropped and they phoned the insurance company not thinking they're write it off.

18 minutes ago, Frottle said:

Aye exactly! It's <i>so</i> cheap. And I wouldn't want to resell it really, it's the bike I want, and it's basically brand new. I've been airing on the cautious side as well, seems a bit sketch, but what I imagine has happened is it's been dropped and they phoned the insurance company not thinking they're write it off.

Sounds probable. If you want it go for it, just do all the obvious checks. I don't know how writing off works with finance and if there is a possibility of outstanding finance? The very few cat n I've watched on auctions don't always go for that much less than a non write off. 

Seems a bit odd that just falling over has written it off. And looking at his profile it says 100% feed back but he hasnt sold anything for over a year and there are bad reviews and non commitals to. I would want to have a forensic look over that bike especially the Vin and engine number. He seems to sell a lot of sheds from Latvia????????????????????????????????????

• Like 3

My uncle once bought a CAT N Harley Sportster for £6000 that was only 3 months old back 2014. 
The previous owner was showing his mate the bike on the roadside when he put it in gear and proceeded to flip it for some reason 🤣

Anyway, my Uncle sorted the damage for just over a grand. It had screaming eagles on it but he replaced those. They were ridiculous loud!!! 
I would go and have a look at it and if it adds up, buy it. 

Edited by fullscreenaging

Thanks for all the advice. It's over 4k now, so that's a no from  me.

I was looking at spending £1500ish on a bike, as it's my first bike, will likely get drippedat some point, etc etc. Is that a sensible figure? Or is it more realistic to look at like 2-3k? I can get a bike on finance, but I'd be pretty heartbroken to drop it and then have to pay for a bike that I can't run or have to pay out the nose to get fixed.

I kind of have my heart set on a Kawaski Vulcan, but again finance and first bike, I'm left wondering if it's a good idea or not.

8 minutes ago, Frottle said:

Thanks for all the advice. It's over 4k now, so that's a no from  me.

I was looking at spending £1500ish on a bike, as it's my first bike, will likely get drippedat some point, etc etc. Is that a sensible figure? Or is it more realistic to look at like 2-3k? I can get a bike on finance, but I'd be pretty heartbroken to drop it and then have to pay for a bike that I can't run or have to pay out the nose to get fixed.

I kind of have my heart set on a Kawaski Vulcan, but again finance and first bike, I'm left wondering if it's a good idea or not.

You can get something decent at £1500 or 2-3k if you're careful about what you buy. Try and get something you like though. I bought a bandit as a first bike, it was cheap enough and seemed like a good first bike, but I didnt like it much and was selling it a few months on.  If you like cruisers how about a yamaha virago? Plenty of those around in your budget. 

You. An get a reasonable bike for your sort of money. Cruiser maybe not, they tend to be harder to find.

Sit on lots of bikes and decide what you like, I use my bikes for commuting and distance. I like a bike with some fairing and a decent height to be seen and see., Many will disagree.

Decide what you want you think you want your bike for and go forward from there.