2010 Aprilia RS50 only starting when jumped

dshwasher

Hi, I bought a little 2010 Aprilia RS 50 back in July and since then have been working to get it started up. 

To begin with, my issue is that the bike turns over but does not start, but will start when jumped. So far the work done on it has been (multiple) new batteries, new CDI, new top end and a new starter motor.

Once jumped, if the bike is turned off it will not start off the starter: it will have to be jumped again. 

I’ve done some more reading today and every forum keeps leading me back to the battery. I did some research on battery codes and have found that the battery currently in my bike ends with “BS” while the ones that are apparently suitable end with just “B”. Am I correct to think this is the code for the terminals? Does it make a difference?

Thanks 👍

Hello.

Don't know about the battery code thing but I'd be checking with a voltmeter that you are getting 12v where it needs to be when the engine is cranking. Check for good earths and bad connections.

Are the cranks seals ok? If they are tired , it can cause starting and running issues. 

By jump start do you mean it will start using jump leads or do you mean bump starting?

If you are using jump leads where are you connecting them to?

You can use a jump lead to make a temporary secondary earth from the battery to the frame. Always worth trying if you suspect a dodgy earth connection. 

• Like 1

Hello. Noted. I will check with a voltmeter and check on the crank seals. 

I mean by bump starting it.  

Could you please explain what you mean by “good earths”?  

I’ll be getting a new battery later today with the right code and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys👍 

Did some reading on checking for good earths. Am I right to think it’s keeping the positive rod of the multimeter on the positive terminal on the battery and putting the negative rod somewhere on the frame/a bolt?

Hi, I’ve checked and the battery has over 12V. Checked the earth points too and they all are okay… havent had a look at the crank seals yet.

When I turn over the engine on both the battery and earth points I get just over 10V (which is apparently normal according to my dad). 

25 minutes ago, dshwasher said:

Hi, I’ve checked and the battery has over 12V. Checked the earth points too and they all are okay… havent had a look at the crank seals yet.

When I turn over the engine on both the battery and earth points I get just over 10V (which is apparently normal according to my dad). 

That seems a bit low to me - I would have expected at least 11.5V on load.

Your battery (ignition off) should be around 12.5V (or higher). If it is dropping to 10V when you try and start the bike, then I would suspect either a high resistance connection (bad earth) or the battery is not up to the job and, seeing as you have a new battery, I would look at the connections.

It could be any one of a number of earth points:

Battery to frame

Starter motor to frame

Ignition circuit (solenoid) to frame

Starter motor to frame

As the bike runs OK once 'bumped', the ignition (coil / spark plug / etc.) would appear to be OK and I would look at the wiring (connections and earth points) around the starter motor and solenoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve used my multimeter to check the resistance between what you have mentioned. Please correct me if my method is incorrect or I haven’t understood something the right way. I am a bit of a bike-noob😬

I’ve set my multimeter to ohms and here are the results:

Battery to Frame- 0.5

Starter Motor to Frame- 0.7

I don’t understand what you mean by the ignition circuit (solenoid). Where can I locate this?

I did a voltage drop test by putting the positive terminal of multimeter on my battery and the negative terminal on my starter motor (input terminal). I start with 12.26V. Once cranking I get a drop to 0.5V. Apparently this is too high and should be about 0.25V or below. It could be the solenoid instead of the starter motor input terminal but I do not know how to test this on my kind of motor. It is a lot smaller than the ones I have seen. I’ve attached an image of it. Here is the link of the website i’ve been using: https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/solving-your-starter-motor-woes

I appreciate all the help :)

7C7CAA02-374C-4FCC-8071-71BF4ECBE1F7.jpeg

Ignition wiring takes a lot of current, so a starter solenoid is fitted inline, and when you switch on the ignition a small voltage is supplied to a set of contacts that energise a electro magnet in the solenoid and this closes the circuit to the starter motor. If the starter motor brushes are worn out or the windings are dirty, or the solenoid is dirty it will take more cranking amps to fire it up. The live lead from the battery should go to the solenoid, so try tracing that leads' path

• Like 1

As your starter motor is bolted directly metal to metal, the resistance to frame reading should be less than 0.7 ohms!

If you look at this logically, the total resistance that you have measured between you starter motor casing and the battery earth terminal is (0.5 + 0.7) 1.2 ohms. It should be less than 0.1 ohms!

Your Solenoid is here:

image.thumb.png.6c8725e15f80a738611926c6671844dc.png

I would also disconnect, clean, reconnect the thick lead from the solenoid to the starter motor to remove any additional resistance there.

Have you unbolted the frame earth point from the battery lead, cleaned it up and reconnected it - If not, you need to do so.

One way to check your connectivity is to connect a jump lead from your battery earth direct to the body of your starter motor (you will need to hold it firmly against the metal casing) and try and start the bike - If it starts, then it must be an earth problem. if it does not start, then I would suspect the solenoid to starter connection.

NB. Don't try this is there is any fuel drips near the starter!

• Like 1

I’ve just searched up the solenoid in my bike and realised it looks like the image i’ve attached. I’ve come across it multiple times not realising it’s the solenoid 😁

I will clean up the lead connecting. 

I actually have tried the jump lead technique before. The bike does not start: so I guess it is most likely a solenoid to starter connection issue. 

I’ll take a look tomorrow. Thanks!

5C7D8C9B-A806-41FF-B240-A2522DAA3AF1.jpeg

16 hours ago, dshwasher said:

I’ve just searched up the solenoid in my bike and realised it looks like the image i’ve attached. I’ve come across it multiple times not realising it’s the solenoid 😁

I will clean up the lead connecting. 

I actually have tried the jump lead technique before. The bike does not start: so I guess it is most likely a solenoid to starter connection issue. 

I’ll take a look tomorrow. Thanks!

5C7D8C9B-A806-41FF-B240-A2522DAA3AF1.jpeg

That looks like a heavy duty relay not a starter solenoid. 

Had a look at the bike and can’t find anything that looks like a starter solenoid. I’ve attached the electrical system that was shown in the manual if it’s of any help. Last image being listed under “Battery recharge and starting”. 

I’ll be here looking to see if I missed anything👍

55C0BF00-979B-4221-8946-14FDEDB48F85.jpeg

BA4C736D-CE66-417C-857C-9E8262A79D90.jpeg

image.jpg

I was curious, so have googled "starter solenoid" for your bike and it did indeed come up as the relay in your pics. The only other thing I can think of is a knackered sprag clutch putting too much load on the battery to turn the starter over