2023 Rally Is back

Grumpy Old Git

Rally 2023 attendance   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you coming?

2 hours ago, fastbob said:

Yeah , I'm popping in on the Saturday . It's worth mentioning that this will be the most boring ride imaginable , M6 , A14 all the way .  Go be honest , I'm rather disappointed myself that a forum of this apparent size can only muster a handful of members who are prepared to attend a National Rally . Have any of these people even got motorcycles ? 

Hmm let me take a breath before I respond.... most of the way back members are spread the length and breadth of the country,  and since covid we havnt for obvious reasons had a regular rally. All of us that I know that are attending do indeed own motorbikes, speaking for myself and OJ we currently have 3 bikes and a trike between us. Unfortunate circumstances have meant we have been off the bikes for a couple of years , ( we do still ride and are intening to do a lot more now personal matters are settling down)so we will be attending in our camper van to show support for GOG for doing his best to resurrect the rally. And I have to say yes it will doubtless take time to build any rally back up, but if you scroll back through ancient threads you will see how great our rally used to be, all it needs for that to be the case is a shared goal, and someone putting in the effort...and yes, people need to attend and support. Look forward to meeting all the new members , and catching up with old ones 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

Okay. I am off home now. Contact Michael at the pub if you get here tonight. He will show you the ropes and where to camp and park.

I will be there tomorrow morning at about 9am.

We will be there sometime around lunch mate, look forward to seeing you

1 hour ago, littlecat said:

Hmm let me take a breath before I respond.... most of the way back members are spread the length and breadth of the country,  and since covid we havnt for obvious reasons had a regular rally. All of us that I know that are attending do indeed own motorbikes, speaking for myself and OJ we currently have 3 bikes and a trike between us. Unfortunate circumstances have meant we have been off the bikes for a couple of years , ( we do still ride and are intening to do a lot more now personal matters are settling down)so we will be attending in our camper van to show support for GOG for doing his best to resurrect the rally. And I have to say yes it will doubtless take time to build any rally back up, but if you scroll back through ancient threads you will see how great our rally used to be, all it needs for that to be the case is a shared goal, and someone putting in the effort...and yes, people need to attend and support. Look forward to meeting all the new members , and catching up with old ones 

I think you may have missed the point . I was merely contrasting the attendance with the apparent size of the forum . Here is the  2018 Rideout .

Screenshot_20230901-213808.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, littlecat said:

Hmm let me take a breath before I respond....Unfortunate circumstances have meant we have been off the bikes for a couple of years....

Me too. I was genuinely nervous about such a big ride out and camping, after a large gap. I feel far more confident after getting a big ride a few weeks ago, when I was able to get away. I now need to get the camping kit out and even watched a video last night to remind myself how to put the tent up. It is only now, after a getting a big ride under my belt (five days getting as far north as the tip of Lewis in the outer Hebrides) that I have realised just how out of practice I was to and to what extent I had lost my nerve.

Littlecat is right, between personal circumstances and the knock on effect of the pandemic and not riding much, I am not too surprised this year's rally has a smaller attendance. Well done for all those who do go, and GOG for organising it. I will move heaven and earth to ensure I can come to next years.

• Like 5

I wanted to at least drop by and say hello, but due to health issues (my fingers on my left hand are locking up) it's becoming difficult to do long rides, and I'm having to contemplate looking for work nearer home.

Hopefully it's a good enough turn out to make GOG's efforts worth it 

• Like 1

Well I'll just hold up my hand and admit to my hypocrisy . I've got up early this morning and  , try as I might I just can't summon the will to ride 60+ miles on the A14 among all the Saturday crazies on a dull day to meet a handful of folk that I don't really know . Have a wonderful time everyone who does attend . 

Rally1.thumb.jpg.84efe36298e221f0d642981b6c5e0c01.jpgRally2.thumb.jpg.8c61ba695e86b1bf6c2763d90c14b083.jpg

Firstly a massive thank you to @Grumpy Old Git for finding such an excellent venue and hopefully the weekend after the bank holiday next year would be possible.

Certainly best facilities for a pub site I have seen in a long time and easy to travel too being on the A1 and A14 junction so no excuses !

Good to meet @littlecat and @eastanglianbiker just a shame there weren`t more people there but I suppose following the great Covid upheave things might take a little while to get going again (lets hope).

Once again thank you Alan for organising and hopefully more people if you can be persuaded to do it again next year.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 5