Adding a Switched USB Port

RAYK47

Hi all

What is the best and simplest way to add the USB port to my bike (2015 Street Triple R) as I am going to IOM in a couple of weeks and will need a good source of power for SatNav on my phone.  

I have an Ultimate addons USB socket but I don't want to wire it directly to my battery (mainly as it has a blue LED that is always on and i don't want it to drain the battery).  

I am not the most handy person so I need a simple fix, I don't want to be having to splice into wires for example as I will mess it up. 

any help will be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by RAYK47

A switched live and neutral that is easy to find for the most hamfisted of us is what you need.

I usually use the rear brake light wires if the accessory has sufficent cable to route under the tank neatly out of sight.

Cheers

Ian 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

A switched live and neutral that is easy to find for the most hamfisted of us is what you need.

I usually use the rear brake light wires if the accessory has sufficent cable to route under the tank neatly out of sight.

Cheers

Ian 

Thanks Ian

so you mean adding a separate inline switch?  

You will have to splice in but it is one of the easiest locations I can think of and being pretty central on most bikes it`s convenient for most things.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Triumph 2015 Street Triples use a Canbus system so you'll need to be careful with where you tap into for your power. If you're using a trigger wire into a ignition on & live only wire it won't cause a problem, try to drawer power from it and it may throw a wobbly.

• Like 1

I would use a relay, the switch wire then draws very little power, the main feeds can be taken straight from the battery with a fuse protecting it, might be better fitting a 12v socket, that way you can push in a usb adapter or run any other 12v device that plugs into a standard 12v cigarette accessory socket 

• Like 1

You could use something similar to this, connects to the battery and the little blue pin connects to the switch live without cutting into the wiring. 6 Switched and 2 live. Plenty of cheap variants on the web.  

PC8.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bender said:

might be better fitting a 12v socket, that way you can push in a usb adapter or run any other 12v device that plugs into a standard 12v cigarette accessory socket 

To my mind this is the most useful of all. standard on BMWs before canbus arrived. cables plus a 15A fuse and marine grade socket. direct to the battery. can power anything from a USB socket to heated clothing. and also be used to charge the battery. power in or power out.

A damn sight more useful than the stupid 2A socket that came fitted to my bike. 

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

A damn sight more useful than the stupid 2A socket that came fitted to my bike. 

That's just 💩 for such an iconic adventure bike. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pie man said:

That's just 💩 for such an iconic adventure bike. 

Its the way it is. nowadays all people want is a way to charge their phones. so most modern bikes just have a USB-A socket or two, at least I have the choice between A and C. but... the socket itself is still a wasted opportunity.

IMG_1297.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

To my mind this is the most useful of all. standard on BMWs before canbus arrived.

:scratch:

I have a 12v socket on mine well in fact I have two. canbus included :? 

One is fitted as standard the second is optional 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stu said:

:scratch:

I have a 12v socket on mine well in fact I have two. canbus included :? 

One is fitted as standard the second is optional 

It took a while for the technology to catch up, but the main thing I remember was that suddenly battery chargers wouldn't work as they did before and people had to go back to direct connections. There were other effects too like some items that could be plugged in before the change wouldn't work because the computer registered it as a fault and would isolate the socket. its all changed now. but, it took a few years.                        

• Like 1

On 16/05/2023 at 20:39, Gerontious said:

Its the way it is. nowadays all people want is a way to charge their phones. so most modern bikes just have a USB-A socket or two, at least I have the choice between A and C. but... the socket itself is still a wasted opportunity.

Even the Austrian has a 10A Auxiliary socket. As well as the sat nav connection behind the headlight, it has another one under the rear seat and a waterproof money pouch or it could be phone holder   

• 4 weeks later...

The bracket on my Ultimateaddons double USB socket has snapped, their customer service has been excellent over the matter, I sent a picture and now they’re sending a replacement.

I’ve no idea why it broke though, but there might be a max speed caveat 😉

Or it’s just another victim of the chronic state of our roads.

9B8F359D-2053-49C1-9323-3E780ACBA18E.thumb.jpeg.6d7a683ac697708ca857837bb50dd7ab.jpeg

mine also snapped but not in the same place, i did buy another from them but i am not using the UA USB port any more, changed to one with a switch