Slip on or Full exhaust system?

OPU

I may have appeared quite dismissive. that wasn't my intention. There is really only one valid reason to change the exhaust on a learner 125 and that's if the original exhaust is falling apart or has bad damage that is difficult to live with or look at . These bikes usually have very few options available for a replacement and most are simply identical on the inside even if they might look different on the outside. A 'race' exhaust.. even if there is one available will add nothing and may in fact open a whole can of worms. creating unnecessary problems. and fixing them can turn out to be very expensive.

When I was a young chap I can remember my older brother having a RD250LC with a set of micron cans on(in those days you could ride a 250 on L plates), it sounded very sweet. Now I'm old I would probably moan its to noisy but years ago it was great sounding.

4 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

I actually want a quieter exhaust but does a carb bike or a choke make it louder than usual? 

I can't see why. if its road legal it will be designed to be within the regulations. it might have a removable baffle that will make it louder. mine has that and with the baffle out I find it uncomfortably offensive. I get on well with my neighbours and don't want to upset them unnecessarily. An aftermarket exhaust can appear to be louder or quieter than the original due to its different tone. but again if its road legal it will be fine. Regulations are a lot stronger in other European countries where roadside volume testing by the police happens. especially Germany. so if the exhaust has TUV accreditation. it will be absolutely fine and well within the limits. The quietest exhausts are nearly always the OEM on modern bikes.

The rules for UK made exhausts are quite loose as there is almost no enforcement. so the makers will use every trick in the book. Italy the same.

Edited by Gerontious