My first bike - newbie

lil G

Hello.

I have just bought my first motorbike. Got my CBT booked and am ready to take the leap into the biking world.

I did decide on the lexmoto venom based on reviews, a lot of research and my budget.

Have I made the right choice? I understand there are a lot of mixed feelings out there about lexmoto.

Any help, advice or opinions are very much appreciated

Thanks

G

• Like 1

I’m not familiar with the pros and cons but it seems you’ve made a decision based on the information available to you at the time. Assuming it’s new, there should be a warranty to save you from any major disasters, so go and enjoy gaining experience ready to move on to another bike as you graduate through the convoluted testing process. 

Hi, thank you.

No I actually bought a cheap used one with full s/h and recent mot.

Bit of a gamble I'm sure but needed something I'd be comfortable riding.

If it only lasts me a year or 2 I'm happy with that.

• Like 1

If you bought a cheap used one then that's a good start. It's the folk who get suckered into buying new and then finding they lose so much value so quickly. 

Look after it and you'll find it easy to pass on when the time comes. They need more servicing than Japanese bikes but for a beginner that's no bad thing because you learn the ropes quicker.

I faced the same dilemma and did mucho looking around. Eventually i came to the conclusion that the cost of 2nd hand 125's didnt make any kind of sense, based on what you can buy a new bike for, and with the 2nd hand 125 market being so buoyant you wont have a problem getting a big chunk of what you paid back, with the addition of 2 years warranty, breakdown cover and peace of mind knowing it hasnt been abused. Myself i was going to buy a new Honda CB125F for £3k, but managed to get a total minter out of the trader from a local guy that was a year old, had only done 350miles, plus had the first  years main dealer servicing done for a total of £2400. I looked at lexmoto, sinnis and others and my conclusion was that they all seem to get good reviews for reliability, and the lexmoto has a good dealer network, but the legend of honda's experience and long term proven reliability with small bikes, plus every bike shop knows how to fix one, plus parts cost/availability/knowledge swung my own decision, but you will put dings on whatever you get so better not to lose loads like paying £5.5k for a posher 125 that doesnt give much better performance. While nothing like an expert i would say any extra money is far better spent on quality protective gear, i.e jacket/trousers/boots/gloves/helmet, and although the cost of decent stuff made my eyes water, i'm really glad i did, and many will agree. GL

• Like 2