Advice on bleeding brakes

Angela Collen

Thanks for the help in locating suitable new braided brake hoses,now could anyone give me tips on safely bleeding my brakes or is this a garage job? Trying to learn to be as self sufficient as can with bike repairs, but if its more of a job for experienced mechanics please tell me, thanks

I just used some clear tubing that fitted over the brake valve nipple thingy and a plastic jug. Loosen it and pump out the fluid by squeezing the brake lever. The last of it would come out when refilling. Slowly pour brake fluid into the reservoir, making sure the hole at the bottom was always covered and again squeeze the brake lever until the reservoir stays full.

11 hours ago, husoi said:

Get a good bleeding valve. It takes half the work away.

And some good bleeding tube, some good bleeding fluid & some good bleeding spanners 😁

12 hours ago, Mickly said:

And some good bleeding tube, some good bleeding fluid & some good bleeding spanners 😁

That goes without saying :thumb: 

Don't buy cheap tools (or parts) or you will be spending the money twice.

Love the JLS video ,takes me back, could somebody please tell me good make of bleeding value to use as mixed reviews on ones I searched, also where can I get the jls screwdriver? Got my toolkit from halfords with lifetime guarantee so hopefully good quality, but can't see that tool, thanks guys

Thanks have ordered it from halfords coming next Wednesday, again lifetime's guarantee, so good to know its quality, now that's sorted any thoughts on brand of bleeding valve? Video /YouTube was helpful but showed American version, over here seems one way values are popular, any good guys? 

Not wanting to state the obvious... 🙃

Make sure you have some DOT4 brake fluid ready to top-up the reservoirs.

I would dare say, if the fluid is showing signs of ageing, you're better replace it.

Thank you Husoi, have found Sealey MSO14 kit and watched their video, stocked locally for me so can try, yes I am replacing brake fluid with one Haynes manual recommended as bike been left in 'collection' for past 20 years and fluid not good colour!!  Fortunately they had redex in tank so no problems, but gave good clean out,Hoping to get out on bike next month, but essential jobs to get through first, even though historic will put through mot just to be sure I've done a good job, thanks for all your help

• Like 2

Hope all goes well and you can enjoy riding soon.

Keep in mind we love pics in here. Feel free to show off the progress of the work :thumb: 

• Like 2

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/products/motion-pro-hydraulic-mini-brake-bleeder-tool

This is best brake bleed tool I've found. Dead simple to use as the built-in wrench means you can nip up the valve when you're done. Then fully tighten with a normal spanner.