Cruisers - suggestions

Smighty

Hi all, first to send my regards and greetings because I'm a new member and to apologize in advance for my English because it is not my native language.

To jump to the topic: my wife and I just got the licenses (we are 28 and 24) and looking to get our first bikes. Both of us are in love with choppers/cruisers. The biggest problem is that there is a huge difference in sizes between her and me (I'm 6.63ft, she is 5ft). Also, the weight is another topic (I'm 275lbs and she is 121). As far as I could see, there is no bike which can fit us both as riders - we cant share a bike. So, we decided to get 2 bikes - bigger one for me and something "smaller" for her.

What are we looking for her:
- bike that she can comfortably ride

- bike that she can ride both in the urban environment but periodically can stretch its legs on the highway

- to look good (you know how it goes with women :D "What car do you drive? - the red one") - i know that this is subjective

- reliable 

- not too heavy

I managed to run around, asked questions here and there and decided to go for the Japanese bikes (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki).

We can spend around 5000 euros for her bike. I was thinking about some Virago 535, Kawasaki N500, Honda Shadow 600...

For me, another point of view. Would say:
- big engine

- can carry both of us

- for the open road

- reliable

- i can fit on it

Really set my eyes on the Honda VTX 1800, Yamaha XV 1900, Suzuki Intruder 1500, Kawasaki VN 1600...

I have experience in riding bikes (dont blame me, i had to, even tho i didnt have the license :D ) and for my way of riding bikes the weight should not be a problem.

The budget for my bike is around 8000 euros.

We would appreciate any kind of suggestions, information about these bikes (common issues, reliability, maintenance)...

Thank you all and Godspeed!

Edited by Smighty
  • Like 1

I like the VTX and from what I've read they're very reliable. In the true style of everyone recommending their own bike, maybe also consider adding a Triumph Thunderbird 1600/1700 or Storm to your list.

Something to watch out for on bigger cruisers is the pillion seat is sometimes a bit narrow and uncomfortable. We upgraded ours and it made a world of difference. I wouldn't want to do crazy long distances on any cruiser though. A couple of hours is about my comfort limit, whereas on the Tiger Explorer 1200 we can ride 2 up for 8 hours no issues

For her - have you considered the Honda CMX500 rebel? Nice looking bikes.

27 minutes ago, husoi said:

Have a shadow 700 that I could consider selling 

Mate had a Shadow, was utterly reliable & an every day ride, had it for 5 years and sold it for more than he bought it for, only sold it coz he’d run out of space.

• Like 1

@Fiddlesticks the only way i could check it out (VTX) was by reviews. And on the paper,  it sounds great...but the experience of owning one can be a completely different thing. About the Thunderbird, only one is on sale (2015, 1600cc with 22k kilometers) in the country where I am currently. None of the Storms sadly...
What type of the saddles would you recommend?

About her and Honda Shadow, I did not...will check it. CMX is "the newer" one (from 2014-2015 onward)?

@husoi thanks for the offer mate but importing a bike from Scotland to the south eastern Europe might be a big of a stretch :D

@Mickly I've been finding only 600 and 750 here. 750 kinda looks like a big boi although its 230 kilos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

Mate had a Shadow, was utterly reliable & an every day ride, had it for 5 years and sold it for more than he bought it for, only sold it coz he’d run out of space.

Only thing unreliable is usually the rider. :| 

I try to go as far as I can on a full tank and end up walking with a petrol container....

• Haha 2

Yea had a look at the Cmx 500 rebel years ago myself for different reasons. Im 5ft 8-9 with long arms and i found the bars uncomfortable because they are high up and really far away mounted, comically high above and pushed infront of the yoke.

the if shes short armed she may find it a stretch to be comfortable shoulder and back strain. just look at hondas own glossy mag/web site with selective models, thats called a interrogation stress position in army terms.

If not other bike you finds fits but this one  the bill you might need finding and changing the handle clamps and bars first?
or rotate them like so ton up boys are harley circles. https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/harley-davidson-releases-cafe-sportster-parts/

Find one at the dealer and ask her to sit on in the riding position for at least 20 min.

• Like 1

@RideWithStyles thanks, i will take a look for sure. And yes, she is a short one :)

@rennie an honest answer. Met a lot of them who are really against specific bikes, not because they are bad, but because they are too subjective.

@skyrider is there any Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki model which is similar to Virago which you would suggest? Also, i think that ABS is a must for her...

Edited by Smighty
  • Like 1

subjective is possible but too specific in its design would be a better choice of word. 

hence why i have a road bike thats part sport and part tour and not a cruiser or a track designed bike, those i do like the look of if done tastefully but they are not for my needs.

To be honest a human trait is to adapt, but adaptation can only go so far, some will or can only go so far before you might aswell start from a fresh and go a different type like not cruisers or track bikes.

hence the reason with my and Rennies answer its not for us in particular.
Not saying cruises are crap or very wrong , just thats its too far to be worth it while there are other options just next door.

So train of thought is "A bike is not designed for a particular person, a particular person must be designed for the bike" the manufacturer knows the but tried marketing speal to mask it. alsoi i like "a bike can be redesigned to be better by modifying it wisely" if your in the aftermarket business.

or if your a bodger, "i'll do this and f@@k it up and everyone will wonder why i did that"... the answer would be because they could do it but shouldn't of.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

My recent bikes were Fazer1000 and Fireblade, I'd almost stopped riding because of my knees,

out of almost sheer desperation I bought the midnight star!

It worked! I rode it a lot more! It handled surprisingly well! and more than kept up with traffic!

( we felt comfortable at 3 figure speeds, 2 up, on more than 1 occasion).

Just 1 point of caution! Cruisers are generally heavy!, not a problem when moving, but 300+KG plus pillion etc.

can make car parks/slopes/gravel etc. interesting!

But then, because I was riding more, I started to miss the sheer effortless overtaking and filtering etc.

The cruiser will do both but not as easily, 

I've been riding 40 odd years now and I do like to make a bit of progress occasionally :classic_biggrin:

I'd think, for a lot of people, it would be a good choice :thumb:

20200722_103609.jpg

20190723_140405.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smighty said:

@RideWithStyles got it, thanks!
Another principle which I'm following even with cars..when you park it, start walking and if you don't turn around to see it...you have a wrong vehicle :D

👍🏽.

or when you park it, start walking and dont turn round to see that you dumped it in two bays...you shouldnt be driving 😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Smighty said:

@RideWithStyles thanks, i will take a look for sure. And yes, she is a short one :)

@rennie an honest answer. Met a lot of them who are really against specific bikes, not because they are bad, but because they are too subjective.

@skyrider is there any Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki model which is similar to Virago which you would suggest? Also, i think that ABS is a must for her...

the virago's start at 250cc and go up to 1100 cc and some inbetween so a fairly good selection 

• Like 1