Iron 883- fuel light after 60 miles??

RubyBones

Hey wonderfully people. 

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this.

I recently bought a 2011 iron 883, as some will know they come with 3.3 galling tank as stock. I bought off a dealership/shop and I thought it maybe had a tank change  to a smaller 2.1 tank (like the 48) or so I thought. 

However, it would seem I am getting only 70miles if that approx out of a tank. Fuel light comes on about 65-70 miles max and within another 5-8 the bike is struggling (as in fuel running out) so I fill up and it’s only letting me put 5.1 litres in each time. I can see literally see the fuel at the top of the tank and would definitely not get anymore fuel in it. So that converts to about 1.1 gallon which I cannot believe, I’ve never heard of a tank that small and the tank certainly doesn’t look it. 

what am I missing/doing wrong, any advice welcome? 

IMG_6366.jpeg

Hey wonderfully people. 

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this.

I recently bought a 2011 iron 883, as some will know they come with 3.3 galling tank as stock. I bought off a dealership/shop and I thought it maybe had a tank change  to a smaller 2.1 tank (like the 48) or so I thought. 

However, it would seem I am getting only 70miles if that approx out of a tank. Fuel light comes on about 65-70 miles max and within another 5-8 the bike is struggling (as in fuel running out) so I fill up and it’s only letting me put 5.1 litres in each time. I can see literally see the fuel at the top of the tank and would definitely not get anymore fuel in it. So that converts to about 1.1 gallon which I cannot believe, I’ve never heard of a tank that small and the tank certainlydoesn’t look it. 

what am I missing/doing wrong, any advice welcome? 

IMG_6366.jpeg

Bloody Yanks....3.3gal... is 12.4 ltrs.
Bigger than most 125 with under 10ltrs, similar to a 500's with around 13, but smaller than 600s and above.

70miles to 5.1 ltrs of fuel = 62 mpg if this was for a euro or jap bike id be thinking you spend time on the track 🤭 . for a Harley on the road designed with a peanut tank dont moan about it you be grateful to bald eagle brigade...yeehar!!! Pew pew pew. 

so jokes aside its correct ,the tank is skinned and double walled (carry capacity inside) like double bagging,  so it is actually smaller than it is thats called design over function. so dont worry about it peanut my boy!

Edited by RideWithStyles

Bloody Yanks....3.3gal... is 12.4 ltrs.
Bigger than most 125 with under 10ltrs, similar to a 500's with around 13, but smaller than 600s and above.

70miles to 5.1 ltrs of fuel = 62 mpg if this was for a euro or jap bike id be thinking you spend time on the track 🤭 . for a Harley on the road designed with a peanut tank dont moan about it you be grateful to bald eagle brigade...yeehar!!! Pew pew pew. 

so jokes aside its correct, the tank is skinned and double walled (carry capacity inside) like double bagging,  so it is actually smaller than it is thats called design over function. so dont worry about it peanut my boy!

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

Your mpg is fine. But with room for only 5 or so litres you've got a very small tank! Even my DRZ takes 7 or 8, and I am lucky to get 80 miles between fill-ups.

If you want to go any further, you're going to need to replace the tank; but if you're happy with it as it is, then let it be - you've nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You need a couple of reserve fuel-

Leather holders with lots of tassels are optional. 

freedom gas is always down the long, long, long straight road.

No bull frog they are compulsory! By law of the bandanas and tats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

Yep its a ickle babbbbbbby tank, design over function.

it gets more interesting the more you look...when u need tyres changing other than at a dealership, dont be surprised so see the mechanic try their best of hiding not hating you😳🤬🥵😤...

Are you drunk? 

• Haha 2

Well the only cheap solution that doesnt fall foul of the hells angels would be a roll up bag (makes u look like you tuff camp in the wild west) but actually has a few aluminium bottles of fuel in it.

Other would be to make auxiliary tank's out that are inside the tasseled panniers, at least then we could call it the "baby tanker" with 48 plus litres of gas to travel 650+ miles on the highways.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bonio said:

Your mpg is fine. But with room for only 5 or so litres you've got a very small tank! Even my DRZ takes 7 or 8, and I am lucky to get 80 miles between fill-ups.

If you want to go any further, you're going to need to replace the tank; but if you're happy with it as it is, then let it be - you've nothing to worry about.

The wifes Honda 125 is 8ltrs including the reserve and thats with the fuel pretty much touches the huge but shallow filler cap.

200+mls easy with plenty still in it to drown a sewer rat and get a bonfire going while i rode it like i stole it.

p.s im not particularly keen on Honda's but amazed by it's frugalness.

on another thought is the reserve light just comes on far too early.

theoretically if its set up for it its possible the bike thinks its on low fuel it could be set up to run a super lean fuel map when this happens so thats why if may feel its struggling.

to be honest id go off the miles...140miles is reasonable for first try and think then its 20+ on the reserve with a little spare.

as bonio says dont worry, its just how it is and what you bought.

Edited by RideWithStyles

I wonder if your bike has acquired a custom fuel tanks over its life. The one below claims to be 2.1 gallons but that could easily be US gallons and if it is you're only looking at 7.95 litres. Still a lot more than what you say is the maximum you can ever put in, but if one company is making a smaller than standard tank, another is bound to try to out do them!

https://www.arhcustom.co.uk/product/doss-xl-forty-eight-gas-tank-for-harley-davidson-2007-2020-sportster-motorcycles-arm364615

Edited by Capt Sisko

My first big bike, a KLE500 had a range of about 130 miles and then physically switch to a reserve tank that was only supposed to be about 10 miles. That was a pain and required planning the first time I did the North Coast 500, which was pre the introduction of 24 hour pay by card fuel pumps.