Eye Surgery

Davidtav

So four weeks ago today I had eye surgery. Had a detached retina in my left eye. Over the course of a few hours I almost completely lost sight in that eye. Fortunately the NHS was brilliant and I was operated in within 24 hours. I still have gas in that eye. And the vision is a bit distorted. I’m hoping that motorbiking is still going to be something for me again. I think it will take a while to know what my vision is going to be like … would appreciate hearing from any one else who has been through this. 

• Sad 3

I had a brush with it a while back but fortunately it didn't develop as seriously as yours has. A colleague had surgery a few weeks ago. She's still got limited vision but it's improving. I know other people who had it done with good end results but it takes time. I hope yours works out well. Anything to do with eyes is worrying.

• Like 2

Thanks MB. I’m probably in a similar situation as your colleague. My sight is distorted. But improving rapidly really. Too early to tell how my vision will eventually be … the best way to describe it is that everything looks as though the vertical hold needs adjusting. You have to be of a certain age now to get what I mean by that. 

• Like 2

I've only had corrective eye surgery (lasik) and was riding 2 days after but as I understand it that's probably the fastest eye operation to recover from. Even then though it's scary when your vision is compromised even temporarily so I understand where you're coming from.

You need to ask your optometrist but I know a bloke who has had his retinas detach more than once and he still drives so I would envisage you'll be fine to get on a bike.