Contra Mootocycles - electric ‘caf-e racer’

Fiddlesticks

Spent a bit of time today talking to the guys from Contra - a start-up electric motorcycle outfit based in Manchester. They've come up with this hand-built concept, which is  going through the SVA process to make it road legal.

IMG_20231017_121609.thumb.jpg.06fa70bd4daef4ae4bcae00ff4999f6f.jpg

It's a 125cc "equivalent", built around the latest gen Lithium battery tech. Some clever features, including being wifi-enabled, with AI feedback to help the newer rider improve his skills. Real-world range is around the 130 mile mark, with a six hour charge time.

IMG_20231017_121800.thumb.jpg.e7f5db55dcfd493e9104c882704cefda.jpg

The comparison to petrol bikes in cc terms is a bit misleading - Contra have had to limit the acceleration on launch to something approaching a 650cc bike. In theory, you could reprogram it to derestrict it entirely. It would go like stink, but only for about 30 miles.

IMG_20231017_121601.thumb.jpg.9d48293add8da486667e354a742b167f.jpg

Sounds to me like the plan is to stay niche - even after the transition from hand built to factory production in the UK. Quality over quantity, sort of thing.

IMG_20231017_121949.thumb.jpg.ddc1525268d0ca5d9a57310f03dc97bb.jpg

Easy to be cynical, but apparently they've roped in the local biker club to help test, and they all love it.

IMG_20231017_121935.thumb.jpg.c3365669c418185d049ca258c34215e1.jpg

Anyway, it made for a more interesting lunchtime than usual. Good luck to them.

https://www.instagram.com/contramoto/

IMG_20231017_121751.thumb.jpg.7d71f8d42a6d37537a1fd64ed6d1e29b.jpg

IMG_20231017_121755.jpg

IMG_20231017_121637.jpg

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sort of thing I would be interested in except the asthetics (and probably cost).

130 Mile range (50 miles each way) would cover most people's commute.

Just needs to do 65 mph and maintain that up a decent hill.

Acceleration faster than a car would be good for filtering and traffic light dragsters.

• Like 1

I was going to make a comment on this along the lines of feedback I'd give if I was the lead engineer, but it's easier to sum up this bike with the following.

"Design rejected - It appears to be off the shelf items put together, with multiple unknowns for their use in this application, and housed in bodywork that requires redesign"

It's a good effort, but the charge time could be 2-3 hours on a 230V mains supply without getting anywhere near stressing the battery. I'd have a fast and slow charge method, so that battery life can be extended through slow charging. I think the design was limited to the off the shelf inverter/charger they used, if like the monitor it's a Renogy model. Unclear whether those components are up to being used on the road, as they are more often found in motorhomes, and off grid structures. And that headlight cowl is just going to sap range through poor aero. 

I want to see one that has been ridden for a few months in all conditions, as I'm dubious on the IP rating of some bits... 

• Like 2

Bob the scuttler! IMG_1158.jpeg.4937a83a2c9d405b9f60a61e3d33f2d4.jpeg

may i just add to the poor design and the ergonomics of churching and eastern torture i mean just  look at that seat and bar position... last time i sat on abike with a church pew seat and bent over to reach for the bars was on the well reknowned most uncomfortable bike which goes to the husky svartpilin which I couldn't bare it for more than 7seconds! then i felt the need to call the police...that bar is even lower than the SrapeVillain.

shocks and lights look like a aliexpress express special, is that a regen unit on the fromt wheel or another motor? That then reminds me of the failed yamaha 2wd/all wd bike that was done with ohlins...

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

just had time to look a bit more...pure design concept on show.

holy moly look at where they put the pegs! They think they're drag racing now?

why os the side stand on the right side?

Motor is direct hub driven, ok for efficiency. the cabling and wiring through the swing arm to it or is it routed on the outside and through the axle?
life time of the bike i can see being problematic unless the shed boys have proper thought it out.

those fork shrouds will have to go or be a heck of a lot shorter as there's little space for them allowing the wheel and axle movement with the forks unless its only got 40mm of travel.

The front indicators are so small and wedged to the back side of the housing unit that a even if a car driver that pays attention will struggle to see that while front lights are on let along ones not paying attention. rear lights are just a daft idea to cluster so few and different light (light, stop and indicators) into the same small space together...

That battery pack is very high up with the centre of the bike pitched to match. they put some cheap super flat almost car like profile tyres, heaven to think how twitchy and hard work that will be with a normal bike tyre. 

which will make it lazier to turn at first and then suddenly it will want to flop into a corner as weight and tyre profile fight each other.

lack of steering lock and the point on the "tank" cover looks like they could dig into the hand / wrist on lock to lock.

great if it keeps in the uk as much as possible with parts if available but the Will I Am from black eye pea's design or deloran looks needs a rethink to get some credibility, masses of willing buyers to take a chance on what is already a shaky market.

Id question that bike on that stand is road ready like that, when they do make that roadworthy and legal for the masses it will certainly won't look the same, so that will be positive.

Edited by RideWithStyles