Surface rust still developing underneath cover?

peepae

Hi there,

I bought a tracer 700 a week or so back and it's been under the cover ever since. The cover mostly comes to the ground, slightly above the ground at the front wheel but it seems there's still surface rust developing on the disc brakes, bolts etc. and sometimes it's slightly "moist" so to say. 

Is this just life of an outside bike even with a cover?

condensation will be the cause of it.

I don't know of a practical solution that you could adopt other than moving to Spain or Portugal  (other countries are available):D

The way to reduce moisture underneath the cover can only be achieved either by not having it or all the way to the ground with something holding the cover down and maybe having a dehumidifier salt under the bike.

Even then I don't think that would be efficient or practiccal.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is one of the downsides of leaving the bike outside, and a lot of the time the cover actually makes things worse.  When possible, remove the cover and allow air to circulate around the bike, a good clean and spray with ACF50 OR XCP also helps (obviously well away from the brake discs).  As Husoi said, condensation is the killer, it even affects bikes stored in sheds or garages.  I often run a dehumidifier in my garage to help combat the exact same issues you're having.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Unfortunately it is one of the downsides of leaving the bike outside, and a lot of the time the cover actually makes things worse.  When possible, remove the cover and allow air to circulate around the bike, a good clean and spray with ACF50 OR XCP also helps (obviously well away from the brake discs).  As Husoi said, condensation is the killer, it even affects bikes stored in sheds or garages.  I often run a dehumidifier in my garage to help combat the exact same issues you're having.

Planning to get it to the closest All Year Biker I can find when I have my MOD 2 done - hopefully wednesday!!

• Like 2

All Year Biker is what I use and I recommend them. However it won't stop you getting a rusty sheen on your discs. You can try various polishes and stuff but they may adversely affect your braking.i just spray mine with a disc brake cleaner and wipe down regularly.

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

All Year Biker is what I use and I recommend them. However it won't stop you getting a rusty sheen on your discs. You can try various polishes and stuff but they may adversely affect your braking.i just spray mine with a disc brake cleaner and wipe down regularly.

Do they clean the bike before they spray it on or how does it work? as the price seems pretty good.

Where I go (Alan Grace, Wiltshire) the guy gives it the most thorough clean it ever gets then blow dries it before applying whatever coating you decide. My bike lives outside and its in pretty decent nick given its 5 years old.

• Like 1

The paint is not the best on the steel swingarm which can rust. It's not gonna fall apart under you by any means, just something to keep your eye on. Most parts are plastic or coated alloy. The engines go forever, over 100 thousand miles forever with regular servicing.

19 hours ago, peepae said:

Hi there,

I bought a tracer 700 a week or so back and it's been under the cover ever since. The cover mostly comes to the ground, slightly above the ground at the front wheel but it seems there's still surface rust developing on the disc brakes, bolts etc. and sometimes it's slightly "moist" so to say. 

Is this just life of an outside bike even with a cover?

Yes. My bikes lived under a cover for 10 years and that happened. I then got a lockup and it no longer happens.