YBR125 - Thoughts

Hiya gang,

I am thinking of swapping my bike for a YBR125.  I sat on it this evening and found it comfy with a good ride height.  I am thinking about going for this bike and changing my TS50 for it.

Does anyone have any thoughts, feedback or advice about the YBR125?

JJ

I started on one, it did it’s service for me.  Nice bikes, maybe a couple of miles an hour slower than some 125’s.

If your on a budget watch your insurance, it could be considerably more.

They will do 50-60 mph all day.  Good on fuel, 4 stroke not 2 stroke.

Hi,

no idea on that particular model but do like a Yamaha.

One thing which would be a great benefit is, on a 125 you can keep up with traffic better. If you are in the flow, so to speak, rather than holding it all up, you are safer. Go for it, if you are gonna be a biker chick you've got to get moving up that ladder. 😄

• Like 1

Good choice of upgrade, the other is cbf125.

test seat height for yourself. 

just look out for unsympathetic use, crashes and service history.
Aged units 8yrs or older suspension units will be due refresh. Oil check on dip stick with it sat ontop of the tread casing and not screwed in.

You'll love it!

My first bike was a coin toss between one of these or the Honda CB125F. I only went for the Honda for the extra seat height.

It'll feel more like a 'big bike' than your current one and less tiring on longer rides out.

You may want to invest in a disk lock though, it's more of a target for the scumbags.

Shep

Not much wrong with a heathy 125 for a young un for daily use.

To add to that, the disc look is only worthwhile as an additional to a decent chain. small capacity engines come with small rotors so the gaps in the space between the inner rotor and the hub are small but the face is quite wide due to most are solid discs, floating more common in slightly larger bikes, a modern one up about 400-500 class. so the pin of the lock will be about 7mm max which most can be defeated with a decent hammer and a few limp wrist strikes.

4 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

I'm thinking of getting one of these in the Spring, was wondering how @Janine  was getting on with it?

She's dissappeared?

It would appear she has gone.

• Sad 4

But it's a good bike @Slow Joe. After my wife did her repeat CBT on one, she immediately wanted to swap her VanVan and get one. Reliable too. And should hold its value as well as anything else out there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JRH said:

It would appear she has gone.

That's a shame, liked her posts

9 minutes ago, bonio said:

But it's a good bike @Slow Joe. After my wife did her repeat CBT on one, she immediately wanted to swap her VanVan and get one. Reliable too. And should hold its value as well as anything else out there.

Thanks Bonio, i'm just waiting for better weather before I bite the bullet.

• Like 1

When I got my lad the Honda CBF125 I wish I’d got him an old CG125. My wallet lost out because of the instant depreciation coupled with the cost of replacing plastics. I’d always suggest getting a bombproof CG over modern plastic covered 125s if the rider intends to move on to an even bigger machine post test.

• Like 2

On 04/12/2023 at 20:24, RideWithStyles said:

Hopefully shes just poorly or just very busy at the mo? 😢

I think you have to ask to have your account shut down, so I hope it wasn't due to someone making her feel uncomfortable. Although, I'm biased in thinking it was that, as back when I was 16-20, any girl I dated in the same age range with any online presence had a rather unfortunate amount of older men trying to be their best friend. 

20 hours ago, Mawsley said:

When I got my lad the Honda CBF125 I wish I’d got him an old CG125. My wallet lost out because of the instant depreciation coupled with the cost of replacing plastics. I’d always suggest getting a bombproof CG over modern plastic covered 125s if the rider intends to move on to an even bigger machine post test.

Was it the new CB125F? Or the old half faired CBF125, as I found the latter to hold its value well. The CG125's have appreciated in value as older generations are buying them up, mostly to turn into cafe racers, or because it was their first bike. But the later Chinese made CB125F suffered immensely, as it was obviously a knock off of the original CBF/CG. Still, you can more readily get parts for those compared to the likes of the CBR 125. 

I personally love the old kick start YBR125, I think it was even a 6V battery as well IIRC. I bet those are hard to get now. 

20 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I think you have to ask to have your account shut down, so I hope it wasn't due to someone making her feel uncomfortable. Although, I'm biased in thinking it was that, as back when I was 16-20, any girl I dated in the same age range with any online presence had a rather unfortunate amount of older men trying to be their best friend. 

Was it the new CB125F? Or the old half faired CBF125, as I found the latter to hold its value well. The CG125's have appreciated in value as older generations are buying them up, mostly to turn into cafe racers, or because it was their first bike. But the later Chinese made CB125F suffered immensely, as it was obviously a knock off of the original CBF/CG. Still, you can more readily get parts for those compared to the likes of the CBR 125. 

I personally love the old kick start YBR125, I think it was even a 6V battery as well IIRC. I bet those are hard to get now. 

The half faired one. 

I lost about £500 on the bike and an untold replacing bits. If I had my time again I'd buy him roller skates or something instead.

30 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

The half faired one. 

I lost about £500 on the bike and an untold replacing bits. If I had my time again I'd buy him roller skates or something instead.

Ah ok, I got lucky with the one I had to look after for a while. Owner put the wrong oil in, which phase separated, so I guess it wasn't lubricating properly. Anything that spun was fairly toast, I swapped out the clutch basket/crank/top end and all bearings pressed into the casings. Fortunately Kymco make an identical engine and the parts from that fit, only cost £300. On separate occasions it also had diesel put in it, and the brakes messed with. Thought it was a fairy tough little thing considering, but I did hear some were made in Taiwan, and others India. So maybe differences in quality control?

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

?

well we have the cbf125 of 2011, quite a good unit, electric starter, early injection, front brakes are good but the rear drum and crush drives needs work often and but minimum electrical, simple enough, a few quirks and just a bit of plastic but less than the cbr.

Mind you either a yama or honda is still better than a new bike from a Chinese manufacturer.

Edited by RideWithStyles

2 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

?

well we have the cbf125 of 2011, quite a good unit, electric starter, early injection, front brakes are good but the rear drum and crush drives needs work often and but minimum electrical, simple enough, a few quirks and just a bit of plastic but less than the cbr.

Mind you either a yama or honda is still better than a new bike from a Chinese manufacturer.

Was commenting on Janine disappearing. Usually people stop logging in, deleting the account and no word on why makes me worry it was more serious. But hoping it’s just my own anecdotal experience sending me the wrong direction. Equally could be a private matter so I’ll assume the mods have it covered, and won’t probe.

The one I looked after was an 11 reg. Never had trouble with the rear drum myself. The fuel pump did fail at one point, but it was a £15 eBay jobby so was easy enough. 

One thing I never understood with them was the oil strainer/pump. The screws were thread locked in, and rounded off with the slightest touch, then behind that was a locking nut that needed a special socket attachment to undo.

Ive heard some of the Chinese brands are doubling down. Lexmoto is apparently doing better, though they couldn’t be any worse at one stage!

• Like 1

Oh ☹️.

Good units and the yama is not too much different, when i say problems with the drum it tends to be irregular wear issues and sqweaking, getting the the right manufacturer pad and drum combo to work well throughout the components life is hit and miss.

The YBR125 was my first bike. I bought it with 4k on the clock and 4 previous owners and sold it with 10k for only a couple of hundred pounds less than I paid for it. It was reliable, but I had a constant battle with corrosion, though I was riding it every day through the winter. I got good at cleaning the front calipers and adjusting the rear drum brake.

• Like 1