What first big bike?

Shasel

Mine was a Z650 B1 in a pale blue bought 2nd hand and despite loads of miles and adventures I regret not buying it back from the guy I sold it to in 84 or thereabouts when he returned from an overland trip to Greece even though the colour had changed and the miles were stratospheric by then lol.

Cheers

Ian

9 hours ago, Shasel said:

. Hoping that something a bit heavier than my 125 will be a bit more stable to be honest.

I am guessing you used to ride pushbikes and are used to riding them in wind.  Same goes for motorbikes relax, concentrate on where your going and the bike should follow.

However bigger bikes are generally less effected by wind.

I went out a few weeks ago in the gale force winds, there was just one exposed road I felt it change direction of the bike, At one point I was leaning the bike and going straight on 😁 it was dry so still better than using my ghastly little car 😊👌

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fleck said:

I went out a few weeks ago in the gale force winds, there was just one exposed road I felt it change direction of the bike, At one point I was leaning the bike and going straight on 😁 it was dry so still better than using my ghastly little car 😊👌

The only time I experienced that was crossing the Severn Bridge in a gale. It was closed to high sided vehicles at the time but needs must...

I got a 2019 CB500x at end of July 

Very happy with it :-)

A little lighter than the Versy 650 I had and a lot better fuel economy ( 90 mpg If the trip comp is to be believed )

parts are cheap enough and the engine is bulletproof 

Changed the tyres for a more Road based ride as I will not intentionally be going off road 

• Like 1

Twins like for like (even slightly bigger cc) wins on fuel compared to fours no if or buts...

triple 1000 35 maybe 50mpg if i was being really gentle on smooth flats. 650 four carb 45 to maybe 65 if im really eeking it out.

the 600 inject i have wasn't that much different off memory.

500 twin couldnt get less than 74mpg if i rode like i stole it to about 107mpg if daisy! 
125 single dont think off memory i got below 95 over taking everything possible but inexcess of 125mpg is easy.

most trips are out to some various degree, doesnt matter what make car or bike. More accurate way is to when u fill up zero trip, when u fill up again make note of miles done and fuel amount put in then if your not maths guy details into this web calculator. 

https://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Twins like for like (even slightly bigger cc) wins on fuel compared to fours no if or buts...

triple 1000 35 maybe 50mpg if i was being really gentle on smooth flats. 650 four carb 45 to maybe 65 if im really eeking it out.

the 600 inject i have wasn't that much different off memory.

500 twin couldnt get less than 74mpg if i rode like i stole it to about 107mpg if daisy! 
125 single dont think off memory i got below 95 over taking everything possible but inexcess of 125mpg is easy.

most trips are out to some various degree, doesnt matter what make car or bike. More accurate way is to when u fill up zero trip, when u fill up again make note of miles done and fuel amount put in then if your not maths guy details into this web calculator. 

https://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

My Multistrada which was a 937 cc V twin allegedly got 50 mpg. My average over 5 years and 26500 (ish) miles was 45.8 mpg. I rode it enthusiastically and took a liberal interpretation of NSL.

My Guzzi is supposed to get up to 60 mpg (also a V twin and 1042 cc) but according to owners you do amazingly well to see 50 mpg.  I'm expecting 45.8 again. Of course running it in on a miserable 4500 rpm for 1500 km will probably see a lowish consumption. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My Multistrada which was a 937 cc V twin allegedly got 50 mpg. My average over 5 years and 26500 (ish) miles was 45.8 mpg. I rode it enthusiastically and took a liberal interpretation of NSL.

My Guzzi is supposed to get up to 60 mpg (also a V twin and 1042 cc) but according to owners you do amazingly well to see 50 mpg.  I'm expecting 45.8 again. Of course running it in on a miserable 4500 rpm for 1500 km will probably see a lowish consumption. 

I got (all figures approximate) 45mpg from my VFR800, 50mpg from my ST1100, 45mpg from my FJR1300, and get around 55mpg from my R1200GS. I suspect the latter is because of the nature of the riding I do now and ride, shall we say, less “enthusiastically”, than previously. 

• Like 3