What first big bike?

Shasel

Looking for some views and opinions please as I am genuinely stuck.

Passed my bike bike test this year but still riding my trusty 125.

I am thinking I might get a big boy bike next year but getting stumped as to what bike to get.

I have a strong preference to Honda as I live on Shetland and there is only a Honda garage on island. Any other bike would be two overnight ferries and two days out of my life to get it to an approved garage.

Being on Shetland even when commuting it is hardly a lot of town driving or stop start stuff. Filtering is not really I thing. Most of my riding time is spent at 50mph+

Also being Shetland I am not likely to be doing motorway type speeds 🤐

So what type of bike?

I like the idea of a more offroad biased bike like the CRF300 Rally as it could be fun to explore the more out of the way roads.

But realistically most of my riding will be on good quality faster roads.

I had thought of something like the Hornet but then a fairing might be nice if I cruise at 60mph or so.

I love the look of sports bikes and have slowly been looking at them more and more.

I had thought more sports tourer but I am unlikely to tour and the island isn't even two hours end to end so comfort isn't as big deal.

I am paralysed by too much choice!

I guess right now I am stuck between Hornet, CBR650R and CRF 300 Rally and utterly confused because they are all so different.

I'd say any of your choices would be great. TBH my choice would be the CRF300 unless you are planning a regular visit to the Scottish mainland. Having visited Shetland (beautiful place btw) I agree the roads are good but there's not a lot of them. I assume you're on Mainland Island rather than Yell?

Honestly, you're best off going and sitting on a load to see what you prefer. It also depends on if you have any restrictions on your licence in regards to power. 

I used to own a sports bike for commuting. I put some heated grips on it, a double bubble screen and some decent tyres and rode that thing through all weathers, including snow.

The hornet is a great starter bike after coming off a 125cc. It can be a great stepping stone before getting something bigger, or a long term commuter bike. They're popular and fairly cheap if anything goes wrong. 

The CBR650R would be my personal choice, but I am a bit bias. I used to have an older 600rr, which I believe was the slightly sportier version.

The CBR650R is a great looking bike, it has wind protection in the form of fairings/screen and you'll love it on twisty roads. 

You also won't be able to take it green laning. Although I have had my 600rr down some pretty sketchy Devon lanes. 

What you could do is buy the CF300 and use it as a bit of stepping stone bike as you get used to the increase of power. Explore the island for a year or two, then get something sporty and more powerful like the CBR650R, that way you have the best of all worlds 

Im biased too. I would be looking seriously at the NC750X DCT.  £300 more than the CBR650R but (my opinion) a much more practical commuter. that can also do other things. Just in case you get an itch to jump on the ferry.

I have a bike with DCT and I wouldn't consider any bike without. (my bias in a nutshell) - its fantastic.

The NC is also A2 friendly. so can be restricted if needed and obviously derestricted when allowed.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nc750x/2014/

20 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Honda CB500X Maybe?

Beat me to it. However, I also considered the CRF. 

The CRF300 seems to be an update to the CRF250 - a bike I’ve ridden and found to be great fun on the trails and back roads of Wales around Cader Idris. If the MCN review of the CRF300 is anything to go by then, as long as you’re not spending a lot of time on the mainland, it seems a sensible option as it’s capable of maintaining NSL speeds, and has some off road ability for the trails and tracks. 

A couple of things to consider with regard to the trails and tracks.
You probably ought to consider fitting tyres that are 50/50 road/trail - I assume there are tyres that do that for that size of bike as there are options for mine. Road tyres are rubbish off-road and knobbly off road tyres are not confidence inspiring on tarmac. The 50/50 compromise, I’m told, works well enough on each surface.

I would also look for someone to give you training in trail riding initially. It’s a slightly different skill to road riding. 

For Shetland I would consider a cruiser.

Usually great looking bikes, don't like to go fast and definitely a head turner 🙂

Fun and easy to ride

Obviously my choice goes to the shadow either the lower 600 or 700 or the beefy 1100.

A bike will go as fast as you want, that's why makes them so much better than a horse 😁

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

CRF or the NC are nice ideas. Or perhaps the CB500X as a happy mid-point between the two. I imagine your roads are not unlike my local roads, and although I've not ridden one, it would on my list if I was looking for a bike for riding around here. (I'm not looking for one, because the Suzuki DRZ400SM fits the spot perfectly, and I reckon this *would* be the bike for you were you up for doing your own servicing). 

Lovely place, unique place.

not a honda fan personally but good choices.

how much of on road to off road biases? How fast could you do on the road? And off it?  Where ilu live and plan to go??

Just commute, tour, off road really? 
How much of the year your gonna use it? 

if skilled enough, off roads bikes can handle roads better than more road biased bikes handle off roads. Now before some ahole picks needles in the statement its like for like conditions with equipment being the same etc...

At the mo id definitely know sports bikes off the list, really better for tour and higher speeds, roadster maybe? 

So I am mainly on mainland Shetland and highly likely to do a lot of commuting and general cruising with the odd excursion down a side/back road. Have to say I had been sleeping on the CB500X and that might just have jumped to the top of the list. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

I bought the CBR650R as my first bike in September and I love it. I'm just a touch too tall for it at 6'4", but I have no regrets at all - looks great, sounds great, goes great, quality is great and is great value for money. 

Great to hear you're pleased with it!

10 hours ago, Fleck said:

I bought a Hornet last March, fantastic bike and don't feel the wind 👌 dont know how they've done it 😁 

Screenshot_20231207_215053_Gallery.thumb.jpg.33fe2145d7424fb1c395ec47ccfaf4b5.jpg

He lives in Shetland, he knows more about wind in his face standing still, than we could learn at normal road speed in the UK.

I would suggest partially faired by makes big difference.

I am going to through in a curve ball..

Enfield Himalayan - not honda,  however comfy at 60 mph, tough as old boots and capable on road and off.  Moderately affordable.

If your dreaming of getting your kneedown by the sports bike.

If you want a decent commuter buy adventure style.  

Honda NX750 not bad choice but I would ride with gears then get lazy but that's personal preference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onesea said:

Honda NX750 not bad choice but I would ride with gears then get lazy but that's personal preference.

It has gears. 6 of them. And there is nothing stopping you from using all of them as and when you choose. This usually comes as a shock to people. DCT is nothing like CVT. 6 gears. 2 clutches that = the mother of all quick shifters.

Edited by Gerontious

Still got my KTM Duke 390 a great bike if you want something a bit lighter. It still zips off at the lights and will go straight to 100mph. You just need to use the gears a bit more  😎

23 hours ago, onesea said:

He lives in Shetland, he knows more about wind in his face standing still, than we could learn at normal road speed in the UK.

I would suggest partially faired by makes big difference.

I am going to through in a curve ball..

Enfield Himalayan - not honda,  however comfy at 60 mph, tough as old boots and capable on road and off.  Moderately affordable.

If your dreaming of getting your kneedown by the sports bike.

If you want a decent commuter buy adventure style.  

That made me laugh. Yes wind is a bit of an issue up here. When I started riding I thought it would be rain that would put me off but actually riding in rain doesn't bother me that much but high winds can be exciting and not in a good way. Hoping that something a bit heavier than my 125 will be a bit more stable to be honest. Like the suggestion of the Himalayan as do love the look of them.

See this thread is what I love about motorbikes. Loads of great options each one good in their own way and each one I would love.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2023 at 21:52, Fleck said:

I bought a Hornet last March, fantastic bike and don't feel the wind 👌 dont know how they've done it 😁 

Screenshot_20231207_215053_Gallery.thumb.jpg.33fe2145d7424fb1c395ec47ccfaf4b5.jpg

If i were to get a Hornet that would probably be the colour I would go for. Love the look of it.

• Like 1