I have a 40L top box, which isn't huge, but it's a fair size, and can be left on the bike as it doesn't get in the way. 

As per title really, does anyone use soft panniers, if so, are you happy/unhappy with them? 

I'm only thinking of the odd few days, maybe a week away very occasionally, and I'm considering the Lomo large panniers. 

I've had Lomo for non-bike equipment and it's amazing value for money. 

I actually have Monokey pannier racks, so it's either soft panniers, or £250 on Monokey, which isn't megabucks, but does mean two lumpy boxes. 

ANY opinions appreciated. 

Cheers 

I used Oxford soft panniers for a few years on my old Fireblade. They did the job very well and have a bit of 'give' should you overpack slightly. Had to put gaffa tape over the rear fairings to protect the paintwork though.  Got me into Europe though and a couple of trips to the TT.

Yrpfo4s.jpg

nvEf2Ho.jpg

There are all sorts. some need frames, many do not. (frames are commonly required on bikes with a very high exhaust) Obviously the most important factor to consider is depth, they must not touch the exhaust as they are generally made from either Polyurethane or Vinyl and can easily melt - there are also canvas like options.  Most commonly you might have 30L per side. sometimes more. sometimes less. Some aren't inherently waterproof and need a waterproof inner bag - this can be as simple as a heavy duty (garden) bin liner. a very easy fix. Some can be entirely waterproof. Like these 30L per side Lomo.  of course there is nothing stopping you from putting another bag on top and across the pillion seat - if you dont have a pillion and thus increase capacity even further. just measure the width and buy a bag to fit within that width.

none of this is particularly expensive, compared to hard case panniers. just slightly less convenient. maybe.

The options are wide and so are the costs. brands made specifically for Motorcycles tend to be at the pricy end - Like Kriega. but there are more affordable options - like Lomo. (and copies)

4ee62007-5ae7-4d09-b5e0-3366abe1f920._CR0,0,1999,1236_PT0_SX970__.jpg

Edited by Gerontious

Many thanks guys, that's a lot of very useful information.

I suppose with the Lomo bags being such good value, I could start with those, and it wouldn't be tragic to buy hard panniers at a later date. (rather than vice versa)

@rob mI have to confess to spending just as long looking at the bikes as I did the luggage....

@Gerontious I hadn't given the exhaust height too much thought, so thanks for pointing that out, and probably saving me the hassle of returning stuff.

Just like most peeps, I'll see how the budget works out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

@Gerontious I hadn't given the exhaust height too much thought, so thanks for pointing that out, and probably saving me the hassle of returning stuff.

Just like most peeps, I'll see how the budget works out.

This shouldn't be a problem with a bike like yours. There is a fair amount of adjustability built in to these things. the cross straps can be shortened so the panniers are lifted higher. This should be normal. but, I imagine there might be some brands that dont allow this, for some stupid ill thought out reason.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

ANY opinions appreciated. 

Cheers 

i have a pair of these https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/491762?glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkO6brPbagwMVio5QBh224wzLEAQYAiABEgKFB_D_BwE

fitted to my honda.. along wit a 52l top box ( re-used from another bike.)  bit small for serious touring .. but fine for under a week B&B .. semi water proof .. i pack everything in plastic bags .. sensitive items in the top box .. i don`t bother locking them as they are not secure .. nothing of any real value is left inside  .. 

• Thanks 1

Have a look at the LOMO dry bags. I think they are a better option than soft panniers. 
It will sit on the rear seat sideways and not make the bike as wide as panniers. Get a set of bungees, or better still ROCK STRAPS to fix the dry bag in place. 

Use your foot peg to get on and off the bike when the dry bag is on instead of struggling to fit your leg through and over the seat. The side stand will take your weight

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Thanks 1

I did use soft panniers, but then got bikes with hard ones and would not go back to soft. For camping, I use Lomo dry bags on the pillion and never any issues with them.

• Thanks 1

I have a pair of oxford pans - strap ons (🤭)  steady on!

for years but last time i used them was on when me and wife on the kwak before daughter oh god more than 14years or so ago now? ah the memories.

they were very good as temps, didn't ruin the lines, fitted easy to owt with loads of options, easy to get to shite without tipping it all over the floor if you packed it with thought, plenty of small pockets plus useful expansion.

light weight, good straps, very durable, rubber protection mats included and rain covers....

only problem was where the exhaust was and what type, if you were fruity

image.thumb.png.8dec201ad2b9932880edbd097cd1412d.png

Edited by RideWithStyles
Put a picture in
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

I have a pair of oxford pans - strap ons (🤭)  steady on!

I use very similar ones to them, I think just the logos changed ?  I always travel solo and never camp nowadays. I keep the contents to a minimum which means it's really easy to detach them and take them wherever you're going. You can use a shoulder strap if your digs are on the top floor and the ascenseur it out of commission.

18.05  TDM 850 at Guenouvry  (3).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes very similar, mine were the 50ltr ones i think... not had to use them for years (had two bikes since) and now have fitted a massive top box to the gsf. Now if i needed to i would beable to fit them on easily though it may take a few attempts to work out the strapz😅

• Like 1

When the missus and I used to tour the UK on the VFR, we had Oxford soft panniers.  They were absolutely fine, but you had to check often that they were nowhere near the exhaust.

I used to put bookbinding film over the bodywork to stop the paint getting chaffed when the panniers were going on.  Holiday over and the film would peel off easily with a kettle of hot water.

• Thanks 2

I prefer hard cases to soft panniers, in part because of the extra security. When I do use the Lomo dry bags, they are attached with bungee cords that use carabiner clips rather than hooks. That makes them harder to figure out and unhook, hopefully adding some deterrence to thieves.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Throttled said:

I prefer hard cases to soft panniers, in part because of the extra security. When I do use the Lomo dry bags, they are attached with bungee cords that use carabiner clips rather than hooks. That makes them harder to figure out and unhook, hopefully adding some deterrence to thieves.

Good idea, cheers.

Have a pair of big Lomo Adventure drybag panniers. They are really good quality and coming from using similar on a bicycle for years, am more than happy with them for touring.

For a bit more security & utility have just bought a big top box to supplement them to stow my helmet & jacket whilst wandering around at stops along the way.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Isla said:

Have a pair of big Lomo Adventure drybag panniers. They are really good quality and coming from using similar on a bicycle for years, am more than happy with them for touring.

For a bit more security & utility have just bought a big top box to supplement them to stow my helmet & jacket whilst wandering around at stops along the way.

P S: I see Lomo drybags got a mention for extra luggage. Cannot knock Lomo at all but most drybags will prob do for the same purpose...have strapped a 'well known sports retailer' large drybag across the pillion seat just fine

• Thanks 1

Welcome. Despite mentioning that other brands are available, Lomo are good value and really good quality.

Also worth bearing in mind with the panniers as others have mentioned is your exhausts & bodywork depending on what your bike is. Mines very old school so not an issue but they also do some throwover drybag panniers with the same volume - just longer rather than taller.

1 hour ago, Isla said:

they also do some throwover drybag panniers with the same volume - just longer rather than taller.

Those are the ones that I have my eye on. 

I have an old ZZR 1200, it even has pannier racks, and the exhaust is quite low. 

• Like 1

I used a set of oxford ones a fair few times and they was solid! 

The trick is to get them nice and tight and lifted up so they aren't sagging and flapping about 

I went to Germany on my TL1000s and I didn't even know they was there even at 150mph :lol: 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1