Driver on dangerous driving charge

Em123

Hi all. 
last September a 19 year old lad took my husband and my 17 year old daughter off my husbands motorcycle. The police have investigated and have put a case to the CPS of serious injury by dangerous driving against the driver as he tried to pull an  illegal manoeuvre by cutting through a gap in the dual carriageway where he was not permitted to go.  St one point he would have been going down the wrong way of the dual carriageway! Total idiot. My daughter got off lightly which was a miracle, my husband not so.  4 pelvic fractures, a shattered right wrist, small brain cortusion and ongoing physio required. The driver is fortunate he didn’t kill him as only 5 years ago my husband suffered an aortic dissection and has an aortic graft essentially holding his aorta together. Driver has admitted he tried to do this ridiculous manoeuvre. What kind of sentence do you think he will get? Has anyone else been the victim of a driver who went in to face such a charge? Thanks in advance . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Em123 said:

Hi all. 
last September a 19 year old lad took my husband and my 17 year old daughter off my husbands motorcycle. The police have investigated and have put a case to the CPS of serious injury by dangerous driving against the driver as he tried to pull an  illegal manoeuvre by cutting through a gap in the dual carriageway where he was not permitted to go.  St one point he would have been going down the wrong way of the dual carriageway! Total idiot. My daughter got off lightly which was a miracle, my husband not so.  4 pelvic fractures, a shattered right wrist, small brain cortusion and ongoing physio required. The driver is fortunate he didn’t kill him as only 5 years ago my husband suffered an aortic dissection and has an aortic graft essentially holding his aorta together. Driver has admitted he tried to do this ridiculous manoeuvre. What kind of sentence do you think he will get? Has anyone else been the victim of a driver who went in to face such a charge? Thanks in advance . 

Sorry to read that, hopefully your husband is improving, as for sentence hard to tell with our system, could be anything from a ban a fine and community service to a ban a fine and a couple of years.

Hopefully a lot more, the fact he's pleaded guilty gets him discount off any sentence, will depend on previous if he has any.

When is it due to go to court.

• Like 1

No idea , police just sent it off to CPS . Victim impact statement being taken from my husband end of this month. I would like to attend the court if I can. My husband cannot work full time yet and it’s had a significant impact on us as a family. I want the young man involved to know exactly the long term results of his stupid actions. One day my husband would like another bike if he could. I hate the idea of it, but I’d never stop him. Life is for living 

• Like 4

Wishing you and your family all the best for the future.

Understand your reluctance regarding your husbands choice to get back on the horse so to speak but I applaud you for your stance on it.

After all there is no point in friction in the household as he will do what he wants prefferably with your blessing.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Dangerous driving

Road Traffic Act 1988, s.2

Guideline effective from: 01 July 2023

Triable either way
Maximum: 2 years’ custody
Offence range: Community order – 2 years’ custody

Obligatory disqualification: minimum 1 year with compulsory extended re-test.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=2565fed4796bd9d2JmltdHM9MTcwNTc5NTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0yNjhjZmUwZS0xYThiLTY5NDQtM2MxNC1lZmJkMWI0MDY4MTcmaW5zaWQ9NTIxNg&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=268cfe0e-1a8b-6944-3c14-efbd1b406817&psq=dangerous+driving+sentance&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2VudGVuY2luZ2NvdW5jaWwub3JnLnVrL29mZmVuY2VzL21hZ2lzdHJhdGVzLWNvdXJ0L2l0ZW0vZGFuZ2Vyb3VzLWRyaXZpbmcv&ntb=1

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Understand your reluctance regarding your husbands choice to get back on the horse so to speak but I applaud you for your stance on it.

After all there is no point in friction in the household as he will do what he wants prefferably with your blessing.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian 

24 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Dangerous driving

Road Traffic Act 1988, s.2

Guideline effective from: 01 July 2023

Triable either way
Maximum: 2 years’ custody
Offence range: Community order – 2 years’ custody

Obligatory disqualification: minimum 1 year with compulsory extended re-test.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=2565fed4796bd9d2JmltdHM9MTcwNTc5NTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0yNjhjZmUwZS0xYThiLTY5NDQtM2MxNC1lZmJkMWI0MDY4MTcmaW5zaWQ9NTIxNg&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=268cfe0e-1a8b-6944-3c14-efbd1b406817&psq=dangerous+driving+sentance&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2VudGVuY2luZ2NvdW5jaWwub3JnLnVrL29mZmVuY2VzL21hZ2lzdHJhdGVzLWNvdXJ0L2l0ZW0vZGFuZ2Vyb3VzLWRyaXZpbmcv&ntb=1

👍

I hope the recovery goes well for you all and you can put it all behind you. Sadly in this country the sentencing for driving offences are pathetic and do in no way reflect the injury and damage they cause to others. I hope you have a very good solicitor to fight your corner for the present and ongoing health problems the accident has caused.

• Like 1

According to Google there were updates to maximum sentence guidelines.

Causing serious injury by dangerous driving

This offence attracts a maximum sentence of 5 years custody, an obligatory minimum 2 year disqualification and a compulsory extended re-test. The new guideline mirrors the guideline for causing death by dangerous driving as far as the assessment of culpability is concerned.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Old-codger said:

I hope the recovery goes well for you all and you can put it all behind you. Sadly in this country the sentencing for driving offences are pathetic and do in no way reflect the injury and damage they cause to others. I hope you have a very good solicitor to fight your corner for the present and ongoing health problems the accident has caused.

Thanks so much. We do. I was advised to go with White Dalton personal injury lawyers by many in this group.

• Like 3

This is basically what police say happened. Driver was supposed to go left at this junction and filter into the lanes of carriageway. He cut through gap which is for right turn only on for cars on other side of carriageway ! I can only hope the judge takes a very dim view. All to save himself 1 minute . Madness 

IMG_4269.jpeg

• Like 2

I know that exact spot. That used to be a notorious accident spot and regularly there would be flower arrangements right opposite the junction. That arrangement was put in there to stop traffic crossing into fast oncoming traffic. It must have been awful for your husband & daughter to see that unfolding in front of them, good to see they are on the mend. Hopefully the young man will learn from this reckless behaviour. 

• Like 1

There is no defence for that, no wonder he owned up to it, hopefully judge adds plenty of weight to the previous accidents at that spot and the way it's been designed and plenty to the victim impact statements, with little to non for him.

• Like 1

Wow how stupid is that young person....don't want that person controlling a vehicle on the road.

Yep it's dangerous driving that, cant even fall into driving without care or attention- simples.

yep bet even the solistiors said own up or yourll be inside for longer and get your arse slapped. 

At the very least he has insurance? Get some good solicitors (DW), they will help make sure insurance the company doesn't miss what rehabilitation or other costs are required, at least getting your family back to somewhere normal. Hopefully the recovery is quick!

The muppet will have to retake all tests Again if they chooses to drive legally again.

it will stay on his license beyond the 4year term of normal naughty behaviour (system) after if he gets a new licence.

his insurance will black mark his name in the system making it even harder and expensive to get a policy again for many years afterwards.

If he goes inside for a bit, getting a decent job afterwards will be more difficult unless he's planning of lying? 

Anyway put it this way, his stupidity has made life more difficult for himself for the foreseeable future.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

The trouble is (and in no way am I condoning the idiot in the car) if he's punished as he should be there's a serious chance he'll end up driving without a licence or insurance leading to even more grief for someone down the line. 

• Like 2

Agree Westy but hopefully not, and will go back to being a useful person in society. 

if the neighbourhood will know and shop them in if thats the case.

but if hes really that stupid then a longer term on the naughty boy step will be required , its not a perfect system but it can work with its a bit of a "kick the can down the road" but looking at it long term they may realise they wasted their life on a wrong action ontop of another wrong action, so even a rat learns from the lab maze run.

But that is looking really far ahead of ourselves.

• Like 1

The problem with our system is prisons being full, the use of suspended sentences is rife, ohh look a 3yrs sentence ohh suspend, great.

Hopefully not but it the sort of stupid thing they do.

16 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian. Had to laugh at the horse comment. My daughter has one of those too!

2 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Agree Westy but hopefully not, and will go back to being a useful person in society. 

if the neighbourhood will know and shop them in if thats the case.

but if hes really that stupid then a longer term on the naughty boy step will be required , its not a perfect system but it can work with its a bit of a "kick the can down the road" but looking at it long term they may realise they wasted their life on a wrong action ontop of another wrong action, so even a rat learns from the lab maze run.

But that is looking really far ahead of ourselves.

That's what I'm hoping. On a bad day when I'm tired with the pressures of overseeing the family business and looking out for my hubby, I feel really angry about it all and hope he get's a jail term. On a good day I think just be the best driver you can be when you do eventually get back behind the wheel and that will be enough for me.  Like another person has said he will be very much up against it in life whatever. I just try and keep my peace with it all really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender said:

There is no defence for that, no wonder he owned up to it, hopefully judge adds plenty of weight to the previous accidents at that spot and the way it's been designed and plenty to the victim impact statements, with little to non for him.

He has owned up to it. The evidence was against him. witnesses told police what they saw too

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Hopefully he owned up to it out of remorse and learns from it. You'll find out his character in due course l guess. The police didn't say anything about him?

The police crash investigator has been fantastic. . He is coming around later this month to take a victim impact statement. I will find out more then. i intend to go to court to sit in as apparently you are allowed to do so ( as long as you sit quietly)

• Like 6

I would be asking the police if they have evidence of other drivers doing this illegal turn and then pressure them and the highways authority to make this junction safer by either closing it altogether or making it impossible to turn right. The highways could install cameras at the junction to monitor and then make the necessary alterations. 

Good luck I hope it all goes well and re the horse comment Its a NO from me them things have a mind of their own, a motorcycle is a lot more fun and the stabling fees are a lot cheaper. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Old-codger said:

I would be asking the police if they have evidence of other drivers doing this illegal turn and then pressure them and the highways authority to make this junction safer by either closing it altogether or making it impossible to turn right. The highways could install cameras at the junction to monitor and then make the necessary alterations. 

Good luck I hope it all goes well and re the horse comment Its a NO from me them things have a mind of their own, a motorcycle is a lot more fun and the stabling fees are a lot cheaper. 

Think you are right. My mate lives in the area and she says she sees it all the time, cameras needed. And yes, you are right about the horse, but she's part of the family😀