Waterproof suit

Hi guys, looking for recommendations for a NON ARMOURED one piece waterproof suit. I know they are a bit hit n miss but some one might have had some luck partially. Not after one that'll last forever cos it won't but any recommendations? 

TY 

Well, I spent £65 on a Richa Typhoon which let water in at the crotch.

In the end I bought some army surplus overtrousers (see here) and a waterproof jacket - I think that was Richa, as it happens.

For me at least, two pieces was a more comfortable and practical solution - often if it's wet but not raining too much I'll just use the trousers to keep the road spray off my bike trousers.

To combat the pooling of water on the seat I got one of those mesh seat covers.

Bit of a rambling non-answer, but I've been dry since, so might be useful.

• Like 2

I've used marine waterproof product used on boats.

Brilliant and last for ages.

A product called starbrite

Edited by husoi

I also wear two-piece waterproofs. My current gear is an Oxford Rainseal jacket which was pretty cheap and I didn't expect much. But it's kept me dry on 4 to 5 hour motorway journeys in appalling conditions. 

Coupled with Oxford Montreal trousers.

I know a lot of people look down on Oxford kit but when it pours that's what reach for. I was out in it last night in the storm. Came home bone dry. 

I've tried Richa gear and found it leaks. 

3 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Well, I spent £65 on a Richa Typhoon which let water in at the crotch.

In the end I bought some army surplus overtrousers (see here) and a waterproof jacket - I think that was Richa, as it happens.

For me at least, two pieces was a more comfortable and practical solution - often if it's wet but not raining too much I'll just use the trousers to keep the road spray off my bike trousers.

To combat the pooling of water on the seat I got one of those mesh seat covers.

Bit of a rambling non-answer, but I've been dry since, so might be useful.

No, it's all good info... I'm going to have to trawl some local bike shops as I'll need to try stuff on I think... 👍 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I also wear two-piece waterproofs. My current gear is an Oxford Rainseal jacket which was pretty cheap and I didn't expect much. But it's kept me dry on 4 to 5 hour motorway journeys in appalling conditions. 

Coupled with Oxford Montreal trousers.

I know a lot of people look down on Oxford kit but when it pours that's what reach for. I was out in it last night in the storm. Came home bone dry. 

I've tried Richa gear and found it leaks. 

Interesting.. I don't want to spend a shed load as I always tear them.. Gaffer tape is my friend.. 👍 

• Haha 1

One pieces if designed and made well IF YOU ARE THE CORRECT body shape of who designed it....which are a serious compromise. The one positive is that its just one piece to try to find and get on which some people don't like or stuggle. More zips and longer ones with more sows are weak points.

Now not to say to they are crap as i had a oxford one and it did serve me well for the very occasional use and freak weather pattern in the early days but its cut/fit was abit vague for any particular person to put it mildly.

i had a two piece Frank Thomas that did again a grand job, again two different parts is good as if one is damaged you only have to replace that one and two piece suits are easier to find. Also if tou think its gonna do a light drizzle just a over coat will be better than roasting in a full hasmat suit...

so tour gonna have to work out what and when your gonna be using this?

the other is if you have long arms and shorts legs you could mix them to get a actual decent fit, say a oxford top and a frank thomas pants for example or a revit or one and a furgan for the other.

so realistically your gonna have to try them on and get into you riding position while in the shop cos thats where its gonna have to do it purpose.

45 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

One pieces if designed and made well IF YOU ARE THE CORRECT body shape of who designed it....which are a serious compromise. The one positive is that its just one piece to try to find and get on which some people don't like or stuggle. More zips and longer ones with more sows are weak points.

Now not to say to they are crap as i had a oxford one and it did serve me well for the very occasional use and freak weather pattern in the early days but its cut/fit was abit vague for any particular person to put it mildly.

i had a two piece Frank Thomas that did again a grand job, again two different parts is good as if one is damaged you only have to replace that one and two piece suits are easier to find. Also if tou think its gonna do a light drizzle just a over coat will be better than roasting in a full hasmat suit...

so tour gonna have to work out what and when your gonna be using this?

the other is if you have long arms and shorts legs you could mix them to get a actual decent fit, say a oxford top and a frank thomas pants for example or a revit or one and a furgan for the other.

so realistically your gonna have to try them on and get into you riding position while in the shop cos thats where its gonna have to do it purpose.

Yes, trying them on is a must 👍

I have a one piece waterproof suit. Tried it on in the shop. Went on well, fitted well. Got it off ok.

you try putting it on at the side of the road when it has just started to rain. Not easy. 
Should have got a 2 piece set.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JRH said:

I have a one piece waterproof suit. Tried it on in the shop. Went on well, fitted well. Got it off ok.

you try putting it on at the side of the road when it has just started to rain. Not easy. 
Should have got a 2 piece set.

There's a knack, usually flip off your boots

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

maybe a size larger

Then it would have been miles too big and flapped in the wind.

1 hour ago, Yos Sam said:

There's a knack, usually flip off your boots

Can’t really take your boots off at the side of the road when it’s started to rain.  Boots were not a problem as I keep a couple of plastic carrier bags in the top box. Put these over the boots and then they just slide down the legs. 

I wish l could remember where I bought the best one piece over suit l ever had, l think it came from Hein Gericke or Oxford but sadly it's long gone and forgotten.

Anyway you never had to take your boots off because the legs had zips on the sides which made the bottoms wide enough. Elasticated cuffs on the wrist. A long diagonal zip from shoulder to down past the waist band with a velcro cover flap over the zip.

It let the wet in once when I first used it where it puddled around the waist area. Once l sussed this and folded that bit out so the rain flowed off it was fine.

It eventually got caught on something and ripped one of the zips. I'll get another one of those l thought, it worked and was good VFM. I thought they were all the same and did get another one very similar but it wasn't as good.

Deffo try one on first to make sure it fits over your leather etc. and let us know if you find one that works.

Also, when you try one on, sit astride something approximating a motorcycle. The legs have a tendency to ride up, funneling water into the tops of your boots.

I have a Richa one piece, wore it a couple of times but not for the last 3 years. Just can't be doing with it firstly getting it on and secondly when I need the loo. No more details provided. 

I now use a two piece. Quite expensive set but haven't leaked in 3 years and some quite heavy rain. Only use them in summer though. My winter kit is waterproof on its own.

• Like 1