Winter gloves? Heated Gloves? Recomendations?

5 hours ago, Joe85 said:

With the Gerbing gloves, the hottest two settings are locked out. You have to do some weird button combo to unlock it.

Yes, you have to switch them on, get them to the green setting, then hold down the button for 10 seconds to access amber and red.

Like I say, nice quality gloves, but not hot enough to bother with the faff.

I've ordered these and will report which I prefer.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/407566.   (100g Primaloft)

https://eu.alpinestars.com/collections/moto-gloves/products/wr-x-gore-tex-gloves?variant=47418688373071.  (133g Primaloft Gold)

They had the highest amount of insulation I could find.

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

How thick are they? Thin like silk or thicker like knitted wool?

I bought some Klim silk inner liners which do a great job of cutting wind. They do *precisely bugger all to stop my hands freezing. 

*Scientifically they must do something as an additional layer of insulation, but not perceptible in 5 degree temps on the motorway when your almost numb and slow motion hands are screaming at you to get home, immediately without passing go. 

I did like the heated grips on my CBR (proper heat, not this barely lukewarm nonsense), but they didn't really cover the finger tips or help the backs of the hands that are exposed to the chilling wind blast. 

Fingers crossed (see what I did there?) the Alpinestars 'winter' gloves with supa-dupa insulation material at least keep the worst at bay. We'll see. Worst case scenario I move to Arizona and only ride in July and August. 

I still find the combination of keis inner gloves run off the bikes system (also have a keis liner jacket) and heated grips works best for me. Since I hit on this combination haven't had cold hands. May try the Macna kit next winter for a change.

38 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I still find the combination of keis inner gloves run off the bikes system (also have a keis liner jacket) and heated grips works best for me. Since I hit on this combination haven't had cold hands. May try the Macna kit next winter for a change.

I just don't want to be retro-fitting heated grips to this bike, I want to leave it absolutely bone stock. 

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

I bought some Klim silk inner liners which do a great job of cutting wind. They do *precisely bugger all to stop my hands freezing. 

*Scientifically they must do something as an additional layer of insulation, but not perceptible in 5 degree temps on the motorway when your almost numb and slow motion hands are screaming at you to get home, immediately without passing go. 

I did like the heated grips on my CBR (proper heat, not this barely lukewarm nonsense), but they didn't really cover the finger tips or help the backs of the hands that are exposed to the chilling wind blast. 

Fingers crossed (see what I did there?) the Alpinestars 'winter' gloves with supa-dupa insulation material at least keep the worst at bay. We'll see. Worst case scenario I move to Arizona and only ride in July and August. 

yes that's the thing with silk you keep it warm not the other way round 🙄

41 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

I just don't want to be retro-fitting heated grips to this bike, I want to leave it absolutely bone stock. 

My bike had heated grips as stock so nothing to change there. Operate through the TFT screen etc.

59 minutes ago, skyrider said:

yes that's the thing with silk you keep it warm not the other way round 🙄

Yep, yet they were suggested in multiple places as a good solution. Wind manybe, but not heat that's for sure. 

48 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My bike had heated grips as stock so nothing to change there. Operate through the TFT screen etc.

I saw a green V100 go past in the opposite direction last time I was out riding - I only caught a quick glimpse as it went past but it looked great. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Yes, you have to switch them on, get them to the green setting, then hold down the button for 10 seconds to access amber and red.

Like I say, nice quality gloves, but not hot enough to bother with the faff.

I've ordered these and will report which I prefer.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/407566.   (100g Primaloft)

https://eu.alpinestars.com/collections/moto-gloves/products/wr-x-gore-tex-gloves?variant=47418688373071.  (133g Primaloft Gold)

They had the highest amount of insulation I could find.

The heat complaint surprises me; I rode for 5 days in minus temperatures through northern France (a low of -5) on the Amber setting and the Gerbing gloves performed admirably. I felt toasty the whole time.

The red setting got painfully hot after 10-15 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Joe85 said:

The heat complaint surprises me; I rode for 5 days in minus temperatures through northern France (a low of -5) on the Amber setting and the Gerbing gloves performed admirably. I felt toasty the whole time.

The red setting got painfully hot after 10-15 minutes.

Maybe a different model? I had them hooked up to my freshly charged car jump start pack so power was not the issue. Who knows.

Either way, the crucial factor is they didn't fit my hand proportions - the floppy thumb end and tight finger tip ends were just not suitable for me. I went through endless brands of gloves with similar issues until I found the Alpinestars which where the leasts 'least too short' of them all. If I put my measurements into a glove size table, for circumference I'm large, for length I'm XXL or more. Good swimmer though. 

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Haha 1

On 01/03/2024 at 08:35, RideWithStyles said:

wow how stupid is that, having to use a cheat code to unlock the so called full potential of it....street fighter revival - up, down, left , right Hui-Rooken!!! 

yep their still not good enough for me for the outlay (glove fit and heat level) , certainly not enough to offset the faffy of extra wires, weight and extra cost of battery packs...

On 01/03/2024 at 07:52, Joe85 said:

With the Gerbing gloves, the hottest two settings are locked out. You have to do some weird button combo to unlock it.

I'm pretty sure that's not how they work. Like many button controlled devices when you switch them on it goes to low, then you press again for medium, and again for hot. You can cycle through the settings with short presses. A long press to turn off.

I've never got to use mine on hot. I usually just leave them on low. I have once had them on medium when it was really cold. 

4 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'm pretty sure that's not how they work. Like many button controlled devices when you switch them on it goes to low, then you press again for medium, and again for hot. You can cycle through the settings with short presses. A long press to turn off.

I've never got to use mine on hot. I usually just leave them on low. I have once had them on medium when it was really cold. 

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 13.25.16.png

• Like 1

The Alpinestars Jet Road V2s turned up earlier.... they fit like a... (I can't do it).

Really comfy, same fit as my others and feel much more insulated. I like them so much I've cancelled the others as these will do. 

If the roads are dry tomorrow, I'll report back whether it was a waste of money or not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

I saw a green V100 go past in the opposite direction last time I was out riding - I only caught a quick glimpse as it went past but it looked great. 

Sadly it wasn't me and if it was my bike I'll be having words with my son in law!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Just had a ride out in 7 deg C and the Jet Road V2s are better than the GP Force, but maybe not as much as I hoped they would be.

Backs of the hands were pleasant down to the the first knuckle, but the ends of my fingers got very cold which was a slight disappointment, but not cold enough to impede movement or physically hurt, so definitely an improvement.  

I guess this serves me right for being built like a racing snake and having hands like Montgomery Burns. 

Given this is as cold as I'll ever ride and for no more than 45 mins, these will be fine. I'm sure above 10deg C they'll be ideal for longer rides, then I can use the GP Force in the summer when I'm trying to manage keeping the temps down. 

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Haha 1