Attempted theft, not sure what to do next.

mealexme

Really sorry mate. That hurts.

I haven't any helpful advice for you. Insurance on a £1200 bike is basically only about meeting the legal requirement; they'll make sure it's no benefit to you. When my bike was stolen I discovered that theft is counted as a fault claim (which would make sense to me if I'd stolen it myself, but not when someone else had made off with it), which means higher premiums for me even now four years on. Hopefully vandalism counts as non-fault.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Thanks for looking.

I should have mentioned, I've got the naked version of the bike, which has clamps on the top for the Handlebars.

All the ones on ebay are for the sports versions that have clip ons.

I can find one second hand top yoke for the naked version on ebay, but it comes as a set at £100 and is in poor condition. There are also a couple of brand new,  non OEM options for almost £200, which is frustrating when, as you say, there are a few on ebay (sports version) and for as little as £10.

On 11/03/2024 at 10:55, Blackholesun said:

One of the worst things I did when my bike was stolen and recovered working was call the insurance company 

I can exactly agree with the above.  It was the worst thing I did too.  I'm still attempting to fix the issues that the insurance company has created me (and other people in my household) by placing inaccurate information on the claims database.  It is all made worse as it's almost impossible to contact my insurance company, hence amazingly difficult to get them to resolve the problem.

1 hour ago, _amw_ said:

I can exactly agree with the above.  It was the worst thing I did too.  I'm still attempting to fix the issues that the insurance company has created me (and other people in my household) by placing inaccurate information on the claims database.  It is all made worse as it's almost impossible to contact my insurance company, hence amazingly difficult to get them to resolve the problem.

That's crazy. But I can understand - who can you appeal to? Once they've marked a claim against your name it's there, and what can anyone do to get it rubbed out?

its up to the insurance company to correct it (but they dont want to be seen as wrong!!) but pretty much never happens. a crumpled piece of paper is never flat as it was before....once marked always smudged- so even if they say sorry that was a typo/administration cock up, this is the update it never really gets looked at its more of oh computer says something so that must be bad...

My bike was stolen so I reported it but later the same day I recovered it from a local hedge not too much damage to the bike but then when I called them to say it wasn’t stolen anymore they charged me an admin fee for daring to call and then made me up my premiums, promise to lock it in the garage with a Fort Knox type lock and ever since it’s down on my file as made a stolen claim so I pretty much have to stay with them …karnts 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My bike was stolen and recovered after the police followed the drunken rider, without helmet , for 6 miles before he crashed it into a driveway … he ran away but the officers knew who it was …

My bike was written off and I was paid £670 for it …. I bought the scrap bike for £125 from the insurance company and replaced the ignition switch from my stock of spares …  since I’d only paid £400 for the bike off eBay …. I’d made a profit …… ish …..

He went to court and I was awarded £500 in damages .. which he paid at the court ..

I’m considering this as a business model ….

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 11/03/2024 at 11:56, Throttled said:

My understanding is that insurers use actuaries to predict risk based on trends and those trends are determined by information such as the number of thefts reported. The more thefts reported, the higher the premium, as actuaries predict the insurance company will face more claims.

They'll probably use algorithms nowadays