Another insurance moan...

So I spies a very nice Tiger Explorer Alpine Edition on AutoBay or eTrader or suchlike.

"Mmm", thinks I. "Shiny and new(ish) - 4 years old -  with fancy metal panniers. What's not to like?" Same place as I bought the Thunderbird. Decent bloke, knows his bikes. He actually sold my mum her first scooter in 1983. (It was a 90cc machine, she only had a licence for a 50cc - what a rebel!)

My Tiger Explorer is 11 years old with the best part of 60,000 miles on the clock. I do 12 thousand a year. It's had a new shaft, new rear shock, new fork seals, new ignition barrel, new heated grips, new led spots, exhaust repair - and a few other bits besides. Some of the work I do myself, some the garage takes care of. It's just a matter of time before the exhaust / clutch / radiator decides to have a bad day.

Wouldn't it be nice to get something new and shiny?

Goes on confuse the market dot com...

No it wouldn't.

The cheap quotes are well over £1,500.

I think last year I paid just over £200 for Third Party Fire and Theft on the current bike. I'm expecting a hike in August, but still...

For the difference, I could keep fixing up the old bike for ever.

I think they call it Bangernomics.

Oh well, back to reality...

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Insurance is a lottery at the moment. Keep looking is my advice, I think MCN uses go compare and sportsbikeshop probably uses the same search.

I got mine through Devitt this year who I can highly recommend because they were actually cheaper than last years Bennetts.

Keep searching and try fully comp as an option you will get better quotes.

• Like 1

yeah feel for you, sometimes newer isnt always better. 

bit of a fan of bangernomics for both bikes and cars.

all but two cars and one bike have been well run it before i had them.

highest mileage car i had was 150-160,000 and i got it to around 198800 ish before it came a cropper to a flood/ford.

my brothers is a volvo at over 400,000mls hes got it ovrr 500,000 and its still going strong.

my highest bike was 50,000, think bros was 60? could of been a bit more.

saved a tidy some with each one.

• Like 1

Daft, just daft. 

I was pleasantly surprised when I got a quote for my Sv650 that's been off the road for about 2 years. 

37yrs old, 11yrs NCB, garaged, 4000m/yr, pillion included, SD&p+ commuting. 

£93 for the year. 

😗

• Like 3

I would suggest try getting your quotes for comprehensive insurance, it seems daft but just getting TPFT implys your not bothered about your vehicle and just need legal cover.  Comprehensive insurance normally comes out cheaper.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Old-codger said:

I would suggest try getting your quotes for comprehensive insurance, it seems daft but just getting TPFT implys your not bothered about your vehicle and just need legal cover.  Comprehensive insurance normally comes out cheaper.

The quotes in question were fully comp. 👍 It's just the current bike that is Third Party.

Having just rerun it..

• Third Party - £1019
  • TPFT - £1100
  • Fully Comp with £500 voluntary excess .- £1473 (new today)

With a bike worth £9650 I would only go fully comp.

That's garaged, license held 2 years, inc. Pillion and commuting, 9,999 miles annually.

It's not really worth switching at this point.

Remember to max out your excess and insure your excess. Some provider so it themselves which is madness, otherwise I used protectyourthings

Bear in mind with a high excess you can only claim on insurance if the repairs exceed that cost though of course. But a grand or so of damage you would usually fix yourself anyway for fear of hikes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a higher voluntary excess didn't make much of a difference. Mind you on less than £100 for the premium it's never going to be a huge proportion. 

I did just get another quote for comparison on a bike I'm considering next time, something along the lines of a '10 Triumph sprint st1050 and it was £350, so the bike certainly makes a difference. 

• Like 1

mine for the GSF was £100 😁, a few middlings were hovering 150-200. the Benellis was about £50 more off memory.

something to be said about older bikes and not living in or near cities.

• Like 1

I was paying about £250 fully comp for the Multistrada through Bennetts. When I got the Guzzi I got a quote from them and it was over£1200 I think. When I asked why the jump in price I was told the underwriter for the Multistrada insurance wouldn't cover the Guzzi so it was some random outfit.  I declined their off and went elsewhere. Still ended up paying a tad over £400 but a lot cheaper than first quote. Do feel ripped off though.

• Like 3

My OHs car insurance is due, 2013 BMW 118 diesel, £317.

Just ran a quote on my 2003 M3, £250.

Both with the same drivers, NCB, mileage etc, yet vastly different cars.

They get you with VED though, OHs is £35 per yr, mine is £400.

My insurance is insane at the moment, after having a bike stolen 2 years ago, and then having my CBR stolen at the beginning of this month 😕  Combine that with the general rise in insurance and it means I had troiuble getting quotes for any bikes I looked at.
In the end I had to get a 1997 Yamaha XJ900s as it was the only affordable bike that also had affordable insurance.

• Sad 4