Peak District routes

Been a while but Snake Pass and Winats Pass (probably spelt that wrong) were two excellent rides.  Be careful of Snake pass though, there were a lot of boy racers up there taking racing lines through some of the sweeping bends, not seeming to give a toss about what was coming the other way.  Not sure how true it is, but apparently the Police are regularly up there and are coming down hard on individuals, with road side cautions appearing to be a thing of the past.  Great roads though with fantastic scenery .... Oh, and when I was there the roads were unusually, for this country, in pretty good condition.

Edited by manxie49

32 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Been a while but Snake Pass and Winats Pass (probably spelt that wrong) were two excellent rides.  Be careful of Snake pass though, there were a lot of boy racers up there taking racing lines through some of the sweeping bends, not seeming to give a toss about what was coming the other way.  Not sure how true it is, but apparently the Police are regularly up there and are coming down hard on individuals, with road side cautions appearing to be a thing of the past.  Great roads though with fantastic scenery .... Oh, and when I was there the roads were unusually, for this country, in pretty good condition.

Given the number of people that have historically been killed or seriously injured by riding like tools, then I fully condone the police getting involved. Just do a track day if you want to do the racing lines, the public road isn't the place. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Working Class Hero said:

Yea, I just saw there are 50 mph avg speed cameras all over the place, so that's a no from me then. Too bad...

Are you seriously going to discount it entirely because of that? The roads are still the same roads, the views are still the same....

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Not entirely.
some corners tighten up mid way through a lot which catches out many so not just to speed.

Nothing worse than have big bother (asc) clocking you the whole journey, having to keep a 1000cc in this lowly speed when they can do 90+ in first and even in -4/5 gear roll on acceleration or creep of 10mph gain is very easily done, so without wanting to be slapped by fines and points dampens a potential enjoyment of a road.

• Like 1

I live there … drop me a pm and I’ll send you some amazing routes .. all with tarmac I promise … mostly B roads .. no cameras..just fun 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I live there … drop me a pm and I’ll send you some amazing routes .. all with tarmac I promise … mostly B roads .. no cameras..just fun 

Can you not post them so we can all see them :D

We are planning a trip up there soon so some new roads would be appreciated 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil1 said:

Are you seriously going to discount it entirely because of that? The roads are still the same roads, the views are still the same....

🤷‍♂️

Its my backyard so to speak and to be honest cameras are not an issue as long as you keep away from the faster A roads, which are worth avoiding as these tend to be the main through-routes. the most obvious one to avoid being the A6. Sundays in particular are a favourite day for the police to lay traps. But they don't bother with the B roads and have different priorities during the week, especially if its a normal work week. Anyway its an area to go to and concentrate on the B roads as its here that the Derbyshire peaks really shine.

• Like 2

Despite the large number of speed cameras it's still a great place to ride, though it can get busy. Even the 50mph roads can be quite relaxing through lovely scenery.  

The Flash Bar Cafe just outside Buxton is to be recommended.  Good local produce, but it's not very big.

15 hours ago, Phil1 said:

Just do a track day if you want to do the racing lines, the public road isn't the place

I don't recall saying I wanted to take racing lines ...... I said to be careful because there are some bell ends up there that do. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Phil1 said:

🤷‍♂️

Pretty much, yes. Unfortunately

I want to go for the scenery and enjoyment of it (and by that I don't mean doing 100mph through passes!). Like I said, I don't know the area at all, so what I don't want to do is constantly be on the lookout for police, cameras and looking down at the speedo all the time. That is just stressful and I have enough of that.

Maybe I'll go in the car someday 🤷‍♂️

Instead, I will probably go and do Dartmoor and Exmoor. My brother lives in Somerset as well so will make a whole visit out of it.

Edited by Working Class Hero
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil1 said:

How would you normally tell you're not breaking the speed limit 🤣

when I had the K1200GT I did that once. Bimbleing along the A46 up by Newark one sunny weekday, early evening. And I happened to glance at the Speedo and what I saw scared the living bejesus out of me. Cocooned as I was in a bubble of still air. I was doing almost double the speed limit. I sold the bike a week later thinking it was a licence loser. Far too much for me. No regrets.

Almost double the speed limit and it wasn’t even working particularly hard. No thanks. A lost license. Big fine. Perhaps even prison.

no thanks.

• Haha 1

I did without my car (before I rode bikes) for about 6 months once after an accident and a rather long winded insurance claim. I know first hand how it is to do without a car for a long period and I couldn't live without my own transport now, it'd be a nightmare. 

• Like 1