Module 2 - members test experiences

• 2 weeks later...

Hi new member but having been using this forum lots for all the advice. Passed my mod 2 on a scooter this morning so have my A1 license. I know it is a little bit pointless but did it to get rid of the L plates and not have to do the cbt again as have done it twice now.

Hi new member but having been using this forum lots for all the advice. Passed my mod 2 on a scooter this morning so have my A1 license. I know it is a little bit pointless but did it to get rid of the L plates and not have to do the cbt again as have done it twice now.

Congrats! Is it the same as the CBT if you pass it on a scooter you can also ride a geared bike?

No the test is only valid for automatic bikes, so scooters only really. Have riden scooters for just over 2 years and not keen on riding proper bikes yet so quite happy.

ah thanks. Safe riding :cheers:

• 1 month later...

The radio kept cutting out so couldn't hear directions, ended up turning into a shopping car park because all I could hear was "crackle crackle crackle right turn"

He had actually said "at the roundabout take right turn"

I did mirror, indicate, lifesaver and began turning and he went off on one "NO NO NO NO NO"

Why didn't he say something when I put on my indicator???

Because he was way back dawdling doing 20 in a 40 we kept losing radio signal.

Then I overtook a truck doing 50 on a dual carriageway, just pulled back in doing all observations and he tells me LEFT to leave slip road when I was virtually on top of it.

That was it then! He had a bee in his bonnet a little, and between the radio cutting out and late directions I knew I was gonna fail.

The main faults he kept drumming into me was positioning, he said I stuck ridged to position 2 and didn't deviate around speed humps or manhole covers

Even though all the speed humps had cars parked on left and cars coming towards me on the right.

The manhole covers that I can remember were around a right turn on an island. Am I supposed to swerve around them on an island?

I used all my 1,2,3 positions on all turns and junctions and completed all my observations.

I would tell you how many minors and majors I had, but he didn't give me my results paper.

So I've got a choice now, give up or waste more money.

The radio kept cutting out so couldn't hear directions, ended up turning into a shopping car park because all I could hear was "crackle crackle crackle right turn"

He had actually said "at the roundabout take right turn"

I did mirror, indicate, lifesaver and began turning and he went off on one "NO NO NO NO NO"

Why didn't he say something when I put on my indicator???

Because he was way back dawdling doing 20 in a 40 we kept losing radio signal.

Then I overtook a truck doing 50 on a dual carriageway, just pulled back in doing all observations and he tells me LEFT to leave slip road when I was virtually on top of it.

That was it then! He had a bee in his bonnet a little, and between the radio cutting out and late directions I knew I was gonna fail.

The main faults he kept drumming into me was positioning, he said I stuck ridged to position 2 and didn't deviate around speed humps or manhole covers

Even though all the speed humps had cars parked on left and cars coming towards me on the right.

The manhole covers that I can remember were around a right turn on an island. Am I supposed to swerve around them on an island?

I used all my 1,2,3 positions on all turns and junctions and completed all my observations.

I would tell you how many minors and majors I had, but he didn't give me my results paper.

Forgive me for asking... but what is the position 1,2,3 stuff?! I got taught none of this and passed me MoD2 without anything like that being mentioned.

It's almost as if the DVLA/DVSA can't agree on their own requirements for a pass.

If your radio was playing up i would have asked for another. Either way on any test i have done. I was told to keep heading straight on unless told otherwise. Going the wrong way isn't a fail, as long as you do it correctly. Keep trying :thumb:

Thought they had to give you the results? What did your instructor say?

Don't give up, it's not that expensive to rebook the Mod2 compared to how much money you have already spent on it!

Pointless complaining it would just look like I'm a disgruntled failure lol.

Just gotta take it on the chin haven't I.

It just feels like the whole test is a box ticking exercise that doesn't reflect real driving.

Position 1,2,3 are all the positions that I was taught when turning at junctions. 1 left 2 centre 3 right.

Use each for the corresponding direction you intend to turn.

And don't forget all those lifesavers because heaven forbid you miss one, because if you don't look in that blind spot to your left when turning off left that articulated lorry may try to sneak up that one foot gap you have left along with 14 bicycle riders that you haven't just passed but will miraculously appear from a magic realm hahaha.

Why do the examiners insist on talking to you like a twelve year old when doing the post test talk?

Just a bit of info about me, I'm 38, been riding for 20 years but never got around to taking test.

Passed mod 1 first time with no minors, 50/50 on theory and 71/75 on hazard perception.

I'm not the greatest rider in the world, but know my stuff.......just feeling a little disheartened by the whole rigmarole and cost. Cheers guys....and gals

Can I ask a question from you guys?

What position would you deem as the safest position in normal riding? I've been getting differing answers from different people!

I was told by my instructor that the centre of your Lane is the dominant position (stops over/undertakers)

But I have also been told and seen for myself that the centre of the lane has the most drain covers and crap left by vehicles.

So which is best for test?

If you don't ride dominant they pull you up on it, if you do ride dominant they pull you up on it!!!

You could deviate your position everytime you feel the need but then they can easily pull you up for not doing rear observations every 5 seconds (to me more dangerous because your constantly taking your eyes off what's ahead and it effects forward planning, making it more chance of missing a speed sign.

To be honest all this stuff is really taking the enjoyment out of what used to be an enjoyable natural ride. For which I have never had an accident in all my years.

If you don't check the inside, how do you know i've not been riding impatiently behind you and decided i can undertake you?

Riding defensively and looking out for yourself are 2 things you need to be considering. I was taught to ride to the left of the middle, avoids drain covers but also makes you easier to see. This style only applies if you have a clean visible surface. Reading the road conditions ahead is what they are looking for. If you appear to be weaving in out all over that will cause concern. Ride like you are in heavy traffic, just because you are not doesn't mean you can get lazy with observations. The number of people in the cars that say a bike must have been speeding because they didn't look in their mirrors is proof enough

I would know if you were there or not because I have just passed a completely clear road doing 30, checked my mirrors and unless you were peddling like sonic the hedgehog on a hoop fest, it should be safe to turn :-D

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons but a lot of it takes your focus off the little granny crossing the side road your turning into.

I've seen a lot of scooter riders riding to the left on a straight road and you can guarantee if I boy racer comes behind he will try an overtake on their right.

Maybe I'm just overcomplicating my own riding, I've never really had to think about it before because it's all been about naturally riding to stay alive.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

If you don't check the inside, how do you know i've not been riding impatiently behind you and decided i can undertake you?

Riding defensively and looking out for yourself are 2 things you need to be considering. I was taught to ride to the left of the middle, avoids drain covers but also makes you easier to see. This style only applies if you have a clean visible surface. Reading the road conditions ahead is what they are looking for. If you appear to be weaving in out all over that will cause concern. Ride like you are in heavy traffic, just because you are not doesn't mean you can get lazy with observations. The number of people in the cars that say a bike must have been speeding because they didn't look in their mirrors is proof enough

So are you saying the best position is just left of the centre?

I've been having it drilled into me from my instructor to ride in a dominant position, so that's what I've been doing....but to me the centre of my Lane was the most dominant position, seems I was completely wrong.

Why hasn't my instructor pulled me up on this??

I kept to the centre of my Lane for my dominant position,,,, no wonder I f#@?ING failed.

I'm a little bit pissed off with my instructor now.

We can only be as good as we are taught.

Thanks for the info :-)

Take some time and things will seem better in the morning. Your experience is not atypical. I passed my MOD2 yesterday. Examiner wasn't looking to find fault - just that you can ride safely and competently. Radio check should have been done at the start of the test. Don't let what you observe on the road influence how you ride on the day. Remember, you ride to pass the test. Easy to pass, easy to fail. After that, just stay safe. Did the examiner invite the instructor into the room for the post ride debrief? You should talk it through with your instructor. Possibly some unscrupulous instructors out there but they don't survive very long, generally they make a living by getting you through your test. My advise is take a few days out and then book yourself in straight away for a resit - best of all, you now know what to expect which is a heck of a lot more than I had.

What position would you deem as the safest position in normal riding? So which is best for test?

No right or wrong answer I'm afraid. Generally, yes take the principle position on the road, but if there are parked vehicles, then you may want to be more to the right. If the road bends to the right, then you want to be closer to the left. Best to avoid obstacles like potholes and speed cushions, but mirror check before changing direction (before and after) - but again, within the context of what is around you.

This might

. My instructor on a training ride.

Take some time and things will seem better in the morning. Your experience is not atypical. I passed my MOD2 yesterday. Examiner wasn't looking to find fault - just that you can ride safely and competently. Radio check should have been done at the start of the test. Don't let what you observe on the road influence how you ride on the day. Remember, you ride to pass the test. Easy to pass, easy to fail. After that, just stay safe. Did the examiner invite the instructor into the room for the post ride debrief? You should talk it through with your instructor. Possibly some unscrupulous instructors out there but they don't survive very long, generally they make a living by getting you through your test. My advise is take a few days out and then book yourself in straight away for a resit - best of all, you now know what to expect which is a heck of a lot more than I had.

What position would you deem as the safest position in normal riding? So which is best for test?

No right or wrong answer I'm afraid. Generally, yes take the principle position on the road, but if there are parked vehicles, then you may want to be more to the right. If the road bends to the right, then you want to be closer to the left. Best to avoid obstacles like potholes and speed cushions, but mirror check before changing direction (before and after) - but again, within the context of what is around you.

This might

. My instructor on a training ride.

Cheers for the video, yes I've watched that one more than a few times lol.

I've watched so many videos over the past month I even dream about them hahaha.

The centre position is exactly where I've been riding and is the exact place where the examiner gave me a good talking too about.

I've even asked my instructor and he said my riding is spot on!

Think one of the problems is that I'm that busy forward planning the roads and escape routes (just incase) that I sometimes just go over manhole covers and stuff, I would rather do that safe that swerve like a moron.

Also this rubbish about always reaching the speed limits on your test is ludicrous. It's a limit for a reason not a target, so why are people being given majors and fails for doing 35 in a 40???

I also got a dressing down for going over speed humps!! So what if I go over speed humps, I would rather go over speed humps at the appropriate speeds than keep swerving the bloody things. The curb side of humps are always full of rubbish and the right side puts you in danger of oncoming traffic... Why risk that? I enjoy going over speed humps hahahahaha.

I honestly believe that the examiner took a bit of a dislike to me because I didn't crawl up his arse like a nervous wreck.

I spoke to him like a human being, but maybe he is used to having authority over people and having them quiver at his every word.

I'm not gonna give in :-D

I'm going to own this shit and make dam sure I earn that bikers nod from the rest of you awesome bikers that risk your lives every day.

I'm going to own this shit and make dam sure I earn that bikers nod from the rest of you awesome bikers that risk your lives every day.

If you're on a bike - ANY bike - you've already earnt that nod from me :thumb:

Look forward to reading about your mod2 pass!!!