Module 2 - members test experiences

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday I passed my mod 2 I'm now a liecene holder!!! :D :D :D

well it started out really well the whole drive went great! I was told where to go for 10 minutes, then I had 10 minutes of indepedent riding (Which I went the wrong way on, but as long as you keep up your sholder checks your fine!!!)

the only two parts which i could have failed on were:

1) I was told to turn left at the end of the road (Which i did no problem) then at the end of that road I was given no instruction. So I take a central road position and read the road infront of me (I had missed the sign and the speed sign) I notice that the traffic from the right was using both lanes (it didn't twig at first as I was feeling a little slow on the day :lol:) the it dawned on me the reason he didn't give me any direction was that it was a one way road, so i turn my handle bars to the left and out I pull all good (though i picked up two minors for that for road positioning and undue hesitation)

2) the instructor and I got seperated, I was told to pull over where it was safe(ok I thought i got this as there was 5 mins left of the test). So I pull over, not blocking anyones driveway and putting my foot on the pavement (they like to see that for some reason???) then I look down S**t double yellow lines!!! (I've failed i thought), so i check my mirrors and prey to the biking gods that the deamon instructor has not seen my quite obvious mistake! I do all my checks and start edging forward then a voice comes into my ear (oh balls) move away when it is safe to do so (ok don't know how to feel...).

so we get back to the test centre and he has that sturn face on him and im like oh god no please don't tell me he picked up on it!

the instructors says something to me which i don't hear because at this point it's like an episode of Snoopy and the instructor is the teacher!

well i get into the office put my helmet on the chair and my gloves take off the radio pack and the instrctor garbles out some more gobbledy gook and all I hear is "Congratulations you've passed, blah blah blah" I just looked at him for about a minute blankly sure i had failed for a stupid mistake!

in the end I picked up three minors one for road positioning one for undue hesitation and one for getting too close to a car which i think he just put that one in there as all the cars i got near in traffic i could see the mirrors of.

so it just goes to show they are not looking for amazing riders that don't make mistakes, they are just looking for safe riders, and even if you think you have failed ride like you've just started the test and put mistakes behind you and stay safe :)

• 3 weeks later...

I passed my Mod 2 last week. I had one frightening moment when I didn't realise that the ear piece had fallen out, so when the examiner shot past me and stopped, I thought he was terminating the test because I had done something dangerous.

Also, it was interesting that we didn't always take the same position when turning left. I prefer to keep in the centre of the lane if I am a few cars back from the junction then move across to the left (after a life saver) while the examiner was always already on the left.

• 4 weeks later...

I took and failed my first attempt at the mod 2 early last month. At the time I wasn't too fussed (disappointed obviously, but isn't the end of the world). Now I have my second attempt coming up and I am so nervous, just really don't want to fail again.

On my first test my examiner was being followed by her examiner for an assessment. I was assured he would only be watching her riding so not like I was going to have them both judging me. Set off ok, town riding ok, did miss the huge sign on the independent riding but we just rerouted and got back on course. The last part of my course was coming up, and this was the arterial road riding, something I detest because of getting battered by the wind. I knew if I was going to fail, this would be the area for not going fast enough.

Told myself to man up, was only for a few minutes so pushed myself, made it up to 70 and even done some overtaking. Made sure I got in all my observations and lifesavers (which are really hard to do at speed?!) Actually felt quite chuffed with myself. Got back to the test centre but had a feeling I had failed and of course I had - apparently I was a bit too close to a white van on the arterial road. Was annoyed with myself, but I had proved to myself I could do it. Failing in the last couple of minutes and I now have the torture coming up again soon. Tests do weird things to people!

Very pleased to say I passed my first attempt at Mod 2 today!

Its's been just over 3 weeks since Mod 1, with no riding in between, so I was a bit worried how well I'd settle back into riding, but it all seemed to slot into place quite easily and I was very happy to be back on two 600cc wheels :)

There were three of us with the test in the afternoon so we spent the morning doing parts of the various test routes in the area which was enjoyable. We were all riding pretty well so that helped our nerves settle, and before I knew it it was midday and almost time for my test.

My instructor had told me the examiner I was having was one of the best for Mod 2 (hooray!) as he was very pragmatic and not the sort to try and pick faults in every little thing. I think my questions were on sounding the horn ( :roll: ), tyre maintenance and the usual pillion one.

The ride ended up being pretty much none of any of the routes we'd practised - typical! - but there weren't any particularly tricky parts except for when I wasn't sure if the country road I was on was national speed limit. I took my cue from a car that was speeding away in front of me and accelerated to 60 - luckily the right choice!

Needless to say I was really happy and relieved when we got back and he told me I'd passed. I had 4 minors which I think were for observation and slow speed control/pulling away.

If I could change one thing it would be to have done my DAS straight away and not waste time with a 125 which I've never ridden. I would have had a good few months of summer riding behind me if that had been the case, but I guess you live and learn. Hopefully my CBF won't have lost too much value in the 9 months it's been sitting outside...

I actually got a text from the salesman at the local Triumph garage about 10 minutes after I finished wishing me luck. I thought that was very good sales technique and worthy of popping over there to be very tempted to swap my hard earned cash for a Striple R :mrgreen:

Good luck to all those doing their tests soon. Just take it easy, ride for yourself, and talk yourself through everything as you go and you'll be fine 8-)

• 4 weeks later...

Module 2 test done and dusted this afternoon! Very happy indeed about that. :D

Thanks for the tips in this thread. I found it very handy to read in preparation - not scary, just real stories.

2 minor faults picked up, one for awareness - when I pulled out into the outside lane of the dual carriageway to gun it up to 70 and impress with my unhesitant overtaking.. only to realise that the required exit was only a short distance away.. oh dear. 2nd minor was for not correctly using a dedicated right turn lane. The 40 minutes went fairly quickly and the ride in general felt okay - I was far more relaxed about this one than I was for last weeks Mod 1.

I got back to the riding school at about 2:30 and by 3:15 I was exiting the local Triumph dealers on a test ride of a Street Triple. No point in wasting any time now is there?! The dealer looked a little nervous that my test pass was the same day.

What a bike! I was properly impressed with the STR. Compared to the XJ6 that I'd learnt on it felt so light and responsive, and the acceleration was great. All in a controllable package, even for a day 0 rider. Some serious thinking comes next..

I think I may enjoy this test rides period quite a lot!

Just got home from passing my Mod2 this morning at the first attempt.

Thought the ride went really well. I picked up two minor faults, both for speed. One was me missing a speed limit sign on a dual carriageway having just left another NSL - I know the road was 40 but missed the short run at 30 before the 40 sign and pottered a bitabove 30.

Second fault was riding down a 40 limit slip road onto a dual carriageway - I saw a decent gap and opened up to get it as I couldn't see any further available gaps. I explained my reason and he seemed happy to pass me, just told me to be cautious of speed.

The examiner followed in a car as his bike had broken down yesterday!

Over the moon.

• 2 weeks later...

Mod 2 passed today at the first attempt, good tips in this thread such as don't panic if you think you have gone wrong and use the examiner as a sat nav.

I got 2 minors, one for positioning when turning right and one for juddering when I didn't knock it down to 2nd and stayed in 3rd (didn't stall just juddered a bit till I settled it down).

Good luck to everyone waiting to take theirs, passing is a great feeling!!!

• 5 weeks later...

so another fail again today. oh joy.

It is getting really really super annoying now.

up till now i have spent £1050 and i still have mod 2 to finish i think the whole concept is frankly shit and a massive money earner and nothing more.

i have been riding for 15 years and i have had 2 crashes both pulled out as i passed them. i ride into london every day without issue i also ride with many others who have passed because they never rode a bike before and was trained to pass they now ride like complete psychos. In regards to failing i have been given bad advice and bad training including things like "we only have a ride to test available no practice but it will be fine" thats getting on a big bike to do mod 1 which requires getting used to the bike. needless to say i failed that time. "new rocks will be fine for gear changes" nope etc etc

so my existing insurance runs out in 13 days using the ncd i could get a pan european for £200 insurance if i passed before the 15th so yesterday i get offered a last minute cancel for today but at erith i hate erith because of the large roundabouts and was thinking about dsaying no but needed it done soon. so the test starts at 8.30 and we are off a few things happen a lady stops at a mini roundabout and as i start to go so does she so i have to brake hard i think i have muffed it anyway. i also forget to cancel my indicators but notice in time. on the way back we come to a big roundabout im looking for erith but cant see any signs i enter the roundabout in the left lane which is turn left or straight ahead neither is erith exit i then have to change lanes over to the right with a car behind me going left. needless to say its a major.

here is what seriously pisses me off.

i never forget my indicators never yet put me on a test im thinking about everything and do its happened twice now this is super easy to avoid fit beepers on the bikes but the school refuse to do so even though you can lose a test just for that.

i know when im in the wrong lane just go the wrong way it happened before on a mod 2 i know this i just cant program my head to convince it that when i suddenly realize im going the wrong way to continue to do so i have a split second to decide and without thinking i try to correct but here is where its is bs i dont know anyone that will go the wrong way not one person they will change lanes on a roundabout regardless of dangerous or not it happens all the time so to fail me for doing something that even an examiner would do without thinking really sucks.

best bit is for no good reason i have to now wait ten working days despite it being 3 for mod 1.

other than the major he said i did really well so that sucks more so

i could have been buying a bike right now.

i might try some self hypnosis for going the wrong way when needed.

when i pass i will be training alot of people i know for free to pass theirs because i dont want others to have to spends thousands. one guy today failed the avoidance for the 5th time and the avoidance sucks

up till now i have spent £1050 and i still have mod 2 to finish i think the whole concept is frankly shit and a massive money earner and nothing more.

i have been riding for 15 years and i have had 2 crashes both pulled out as i passed them. i ride into london every day without issue i also ride with many others who have passed because they never rode a bike before and was trained to pass they now ride like complete psychos. In regards to failing i have been given bad advice and bad training including things like "we only have a ride to test available no practice but it will be fine" thats getting on a big bike to do mod 1 which requires getting used to the bike. needless to say i failed that time. "new rocks will be fine for gear changes" nope etc etc

so my existing insurance runs out in 13 days using the ncd i could get a pan european for £200 insurance if i passed before the 15th so yesterday i get offered a last minute cancel for today but at erith i hate erith because of the large roundabouts and was thinking about dsaying no but needed it done soon. so the test starts at 8.30 and we are off a few things happen a lady stops at a mini roundabout and as i start to go so does she so i have to brake hard i think i have muffed it anyway. i also forget to cancel my indicators but notice in time. on the way back we come to a big roundabout im looking for erith but cant see any signs i enter the roundabout in the left lane which is turn left or straight ahead neither is erith exit i then have to change lanes over to the right with a car behind me going left. needless to say its a major.

i never forget my indicators never yet put me on a test im thinking about everything and do its happened twice now this is super easy to avoid fit beepers on the bikes but the school refuse to do so even though you can lose a test just for that.

i know when im in the wrong lane just go the wrong way it happened before on a mod 2 i know this i just cant program my head to convince it that when i suddenly realize im going the wrong way to continue to do so i have a split second to decide and without thinking i try to correct but here is where its is bs i dont know anyone that will go the wrong way not one person they will change lanes on a roundabout regardless of dangerous or not it happens all the time so to fail me for doing something that even an examiner would do without thinking really sucks.

best bit is for no good reason i have to now wait ten working days despite it being 3 for mod 1.

when i pass i will be training alot of people i know for free to pass theirs because i dont want others to have to spends thousands. one guy today failed the avoidance for the 5th time and the avoidance sucks

I passed at Erith and to be fair it's a bit of a bast*rd for test routes, like you say.

If you're local to that area you should try DG rider training. Guys name is Dave, lives in Orpington and he's a excellent instructor particularly for people who ride a lot anyway and just need to shake those bad commuter habits.

For a days MOD 2 training and test I can't imagine it would be that expensive.

• 2 months later...

Try another DAS instructor, just one lesson and see what he/she says......maybe there's an easy fix.

FFS, You don't need beepers on a bike!! who has those??

Just get in the habit of pressing the cancel button a few times after completing a manoeuvre. It should be second nature to you after riding 15years.

This is the worrying part... You don't just change lanes regardless, that's how you get knocked off!!

If you're in the wrong lane and its not safe to get in the right lane you continue in the wrong lane and sort it out later - that's why they teach you how to do u-turns!

I've done it loads of times when lost in the car and on the bike, the rest of the traffic doesn't suddenly stop because you're in the wrong lane and need to change!! You need to consider the impact of your actions on other road users and be mindful that they are in thier own little world oblivious to you and your actions..

Besides accident avoidance, if you find yourself having to make split second judgment calls, its a good indication that you've not planned ahead properly.

Sorry, but it really does sound like more training is required. I suspect you have 15years of bad habits that need unlearning.

in answer to your question me?

i did already say that i never forget my indicators however on my test i do just like the roundabout

when im on a test i feel massive pressure which messes me up on roundabouts hence why i try to correct when i shouldn't.

anyway i brought a 600 bandit had a play in my dads yard and had him ride it to the test only this time i went croydon.

8:15 rush hour traffic no filtering. the guy never smiled once asked why i didn't filter. I said i can but didn't think it a requirement. He said i stop to close to the cars in front. i ride in London its a bad idea to leave a big gap in London but i didn't say anything. still not smiling he told me i passed. 3 minors for stopping close to cars nothing else.

the test was really short. I think i helped myself by riding very very slow feet up whilst in traffic showing very good balance.

test is over and im back to canceling my indicators and going the wrong way on roundabouts.

turns out big bikes are the same as small bikes just more throttle and nicer cornering.

i ride in London its a bad idea to leave a big gap in London but i didn't say anything.

I ride in London and it's a good idea to leave a "big gap" (about a car length) because if someone bumps into the back of you because they "didn't see you" then you have that safety gap in front so you don't run into the car in front. Also if the car in front broke down if you're a good distance back then you have enough room to manoeuvre around them.

i ride in London its a bad idea to leave a big gap in London but i didn't say anythiMrng.

I ride in London and it's a good idea to leave a "big gap" (about a car length) because if someone bumps into the back of you because they "didn't see you" then you have that safety gap in front so you don't run into the car in front. Also if the car in front broke down if you're a good distance back then you have enough room to manoeuvre around them.

we must ride in a different London. if I leave a car gap when I stop I inevitably get a car or some other vehicle trying to cut in on me especially if they suddenly decide my lane may move before theirs. in 15 years I have never been hit or bumped in the rear.

to Joe85: yeah erith is up down up down all the time and the roundabouts are big. I think your talking about Dave teller. I heard awesome things about him but I messaged him asking for one day mod 1 training after lots elsewhere he said he would do 3 day with some mod 2 I said I only wanted mod 1 first but he insisted 3 day at 400 I think which peed me off alot. for a new rider I would recommend him from what I hear but for me it was not suitable at all.