Garage Flooring..

Joeman

When I used to work on building sites way back, the companies I used to work for took over derelict hospitals....very heavy and f**ked concrete floors. They were latexed back then (maybe they do this still). It needed to be leveled but was pretty smooth and permanent when dried. Could be painted over too.

I am also a lazy man, so if I had a few extra quid, I would look at the jig saw style foam flooring, the martial art sort of stuff. Would be kind to your knees too when you're doing a bit of maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Like above I carpeted my garage too, I painted the walls and had thought of painting the floor and the like but then found I had some huge offcuts of carpet rolled up in the attic as did a couple of neighbours who kindly offloaded them on me and my garage and hey presto one super cool garage floor for no cost and very little effort.

as an 'underlay' I spread out a number of huge plastic bags that TV's get delivered in and on top of that placed cardboard sheets (TV delivery boxes) and then the carpet on top, all's good since a few years now :D

I like the carpet approach the only thing that I do that would be pretty carpet unfriendly is turn the bike on its centre stand, but a fix would be a 4mm sheet steel tile placed before centre standing the bike.

Actually I'm torn between rubber tiles & carpet.

• 5 years later...

Just my two cents...

I have the mats in my garage. Have two of them in my main stalls, from front to the over head door and I like them. For me, my main goal was to protect the cement mainly in the winter time from the salt and such,

The original one I have has had a lot of work done on it and I believe it to be still in good condition. Tires have also left suttle marks on my beige colored mats, but I don't think anything like MSG has. Mine I guess only about 4 and three years old though.

Would I do again? Yes, but I think in a different color, so far they have served my purpose. I want to do Race Deck but I also wash my cars and my floor does not drain the best so I would have to deal with a pool of water in the corner that would drive my OCD crazy.

Woah that's weird as weird. Not only a crazy thread resurrection but a spooky whisper from ghost of internet past...

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?s=df8c5e6b0283c0b0ae39e185acc01c09&p=3397583&postcount=3

Guess we've been visited by another bot?

• 3 years later...

You have to consider if the garage floor is always dry or susceptible to dampness.

Assuming that you have a dry concrete slab at the moment I would go for epoxy resin as indicated by @joevarmr

This isn't hard to apply, self-leveling and with a glossy finish you only have to spread it with a paddle and let it cure. Chemically resistant and easy to maintain.

You will get all kinds of colours you can think of. Only caution you need is at any external door you have to install a wooden (or plastic) batten to old the resin inside the garage. make sure the floor is spotless clean and there is no dust.

youtube will be your friend with 1000s of videos about applying a resin floor to a garage. If you want, you can even use different colours and make some effects. Your imagination is the limit.

Being the existing flooring affected by dampness then you should first apply some waterproofing screed (Sike and other brands have these) and then apply the resin.

Floor tiles are subject to flotation movement, although this is not a huge issue on a small area, with time, they will start getting gaps between the joints and will become harder to maintain. Yes you can easily replace a damaged tile if the supplier (or you buy spare ones) keep them in stock.

I wouldn't advise carpet as garages are meant to keep vehicles and oil is something you won't be able to remove easily from a carpet. Rather some laminate flooring with a fair underlay for insulation if your garage is not used for keeping a vehicle.

I laid this stuff on my garage floor about 2 years ago. Still looks like new it wasn't the cheapest option but easy to lay and v durable made from recycled electrical wires. I didn't bother with edging kits just measured and bought enough tiles and cut to size. Cuts dead easy with a woodworking saw. As they look as good as the day I laid them and they need no prep or care I'd strongly recommend these.. 

https://garagefloorsdirect.co.uk/diamond-checker-durbar-floor/

• 1 month later...

I put a post on 20th Oct with a link to a company. They are interlocking recycled plastic floor tiles. In my pic you can see I use some checker plate with rubber backing for the centrestand I use that on the driveway too to prevent damage in the hot weather to the drive. On the times I've left bike in garage on sidestand there has been no damage to the flooring so I'd recommend these if the floor is flat no prep needed and easy to cut with a saw