Few questions about basic motorbike servicing.

4th Replicant

Hi all. Few questions from a complete amateur.

Anyway, I love riding bikes but I am seriously useless when it comes to fixing things on the bike. I have bought new spark plugs, air filter and oil filter to put on my dragstar 650. I was going to get my local mechanic to do it but he was going to charge between £60 to £75 so I figured I will try it myself. It probably sounds daft but I take it this is all quite easy to do? I've watched a few youtube videos and it looks like I just pop the oil filter in and screw it back up, same with the air filter? Is there anything else I should be doing? Spark plugs, do I just unscrew them and put the new ones in or should I be looking for different things? Sorry if it sounds stupid but I am truly shite at this sorta thing, at least I think I am as I haven't tried lol. Cheers!

You've got the gist of it. Mostly, fitting service items is the reverse of removal so if you can get the old one off, you should be able to get the new one on. :-)

See if you can find a Haynes or service manual to make things easier and make sure you've got the right tools and parts before you get cracking.

Chuck up any questions you have and someone will likely know the answer.

:stupid:

summed up pretty well really

get a haynes manual and read it!

learning about the procedures gives you a head start

also learning about other important parts of the bike will enable you to spot any other faults while you are working on your bike :)

remember buy decent tools cheap tools will just make life a struggle! buy a tool and buy it once! yes it may cost you but it will pay for itself probably after the first service :)

:stupid:

summed up pretty well really

get a haynes manual and read it!

learning about the procedures gives you a head start

also learning about other important parts of the bike will enable you to spot any other faults while you are working on your bike :)

remember buy decent tools cheap tools will just make life a struggle! buy a tool and buy it once! yes it may cost you but it will pay for itself probably after the first service :)

Have never even heard of a haynes manuel before lol, gonna check ebay now and see if I can get one. Thanks

Have never even heard of a haynes manuel before lol, gonna check ebay now and see if I can get one. Thanks

:shock: they are a godsend! I thought everyone knew about them but obviously not !

Mine has a soft cover though!!! Can you believe it! Cost cutting buggers :lol:

Just pay your mechanic.... Or it could all end in tears .

I took my 1st car to a garage for some warrnty work. The dumb **** welded the rear brake adjuster and ive never been again.

Just get stuck in. Theres always someone to ask if your unsure.

Dont rush and dont spanner when your tired/fustrated.

doing that you never learn even basic maintenance which could one day save the ops life

My point is if your hand fisted or turn into a stoned Mr Bean when you get a spanner in your hand you could end up f#*king something, basic checks like tyre pressures, chain etc then yeh ... every one should be able to do that .

Its only nuts and bolts. Aslong as people take there time it should go smoothly.

The more you do the more learn.

If you get stuck ask.

Take photos and label bolts/stick them back in the threads

Sometimes for routing cables/wires il stick the phone on video and follow the wire and say where its routed through.

You will be suprised at what you can remember though.

Follow stu's advice about cheap tools though.

When you cheap spanner slips and you have bruised knuckles you will be kicking yourself.

Some cheap sockets/imperial sockets are handy for when someone wants to borrow/a nut thats rounding off. Then you can beat a socket on with a hammer and remove.

Label and photo everything as you take it off! That's my top tip. Nothing worse than finding a wire and not being sure where it came from.

Honestly once you've done a basic service the first time you wonder what you were so worried about.

Don't over tighten. It's very easy to strip a thread, you will be surprised who untight(?) some nuts are. Haynes manual will give a lot of torque figures so invest in a decent torque wrench.

Generally speaking, the smaller the nut/bolt, the less you need to tighten it.

Don't rush, if you are in a hurry, walk away.

Don't chat on the phone to a mate/mum at the same time, you will forget something.

Never leave a loose nut. If you must, leave a spanner/allen key/ socket on it to remind you.

Save all your jam jars and Chinese take away boxes, put the nuts/bolts/parts in different boxes and label each box.

When taking off engine cases etc, cut a piece of cardboard the same shape as the part and make holes to poke the bolts through. You will find some are 65mm some 70mm and very easy to mix.

Halfords do a good range of professional tools at a reasonable price. No Snap-on, but a fraction of the cost and a lot better than Silverline. They often have sales so don't pay full price.

When taking off engine cases etc, cut a piece of cardboard the same shape as the part and make holes to poke the bolts through. You will find some are 65mm some 70mm and very easy to mix

Just done this for the 20 bolts for the camshaft holder.

There numbered on the holder so i cut a bit of card, pushed the bolts through it and numbered them.

Go for it, you won't regret it!

I would suggest asking if there's anything to watch for on a specific job.

for example, spark plugs are one of the simplest jobs to do, however, access can be tight on a lot of bikes, and if you pull on the wrench at an angle you can snap them off, which then becomes a major job. They shouldn't be too tight but can be seized in place, if they are stuck, try changing them immediately after a run while it's all hot.

When I bought my R6 I didn't know how to change a spark plug...

Only by NOT paying other people to do work I should know about, am I replacing engines, rebuilding clutches, changing tyres and pretty much everything else. Oh and I repaired my R1 after the crash which took me around 40hrs of labour.

IMO... Everyone should know basic maintenance, it will prolong the life of the bike and save you shed loads of money.

Probably saved myself about £4-5k this year with all the work I've taken on for my bike and other people.

In summary... "Just take it to a mechanic" needs to be disregarded really...

Edited by Anonymous

To the OP. If you want to service your bike yourself, go for it, but do get someone who's done it before to help you out. Don't try it on your own. After a bit of experience, you do acquire a bit of mechanical sympathy, but don't use your pride and joy as a testbed. If you haven't done any mechanicking before, you will make mistakes. Some of them can be very costly. Good luck.

PS: Don't forget to check your valve clearances, if they are part of your next service. One of the most important jobs. ;)