WTF is going on with the roads?

Tango

Those that are on my FB know that yesterday afternoon I witnessed a very serious RTA. An artic ploughed into several stationary cars and another truck just in front of me. I went to help and the police were soon on the scene. I helped one of the first officers there pull the driver from the remains of one of the cars as he was in a bad way. Unfortunately the passenger in the car was clearly beyond help. Sadly I found out today that the driver also died later on in hospital ...... :(

Anyway, today when heading up the M11 near Cambridge there was a lane closed northbound and a burnt out car on the southbound side. I found out that the car had caught fire and the driver was still inside...... :shock:

3 fatalities in 2 days......I hope this isn't a pattern for the rest of the year!!

Stay safe out there people......whatever mode of transport you're using.

Oh sh** that sucks. I don't know how I'd react in something like that.

Hope you're ok can't imagine it was an easy thing to deal with.

I'll echo the stay safe everyone :thumb:

Those that are on my FB know that yesterday afternoon I witnessed a very serious RTA. An artic ploughed into several stationary cars and another truck just in front of me. I went to help and the police were soon on the scene. I helped one of the first officers there pull the driver from the remains of one of the cars as he was in a bad way. Unfortunately the passenger in the car was clearly beyond help. Sadly I found out today that the driver also died later on in hospital ...... :(

Anyway, today when heading up the M11 near Cambridge there was a lane closed northbound and a burnt out car on the southbound side. I found out that the car had caught fire and the driver was still inside...... :shock:

3 fatalities in 2 days......I hope this isn't a pattern for the rest of the year!!

Stay safe out there people......whatever mode of transport you're using.

Fair play Tango for keeping your cool and helping out, it's only afterwards that reality kicks in that you sit down and reflect. It's scary out there when thing's go wrong, by the grace of god go us.

Oh sh** that sucks. I don't know how I'd react in something like that.

Hope you're ok can't imagine it was an easy thing to deal with.

I'll echo the stay safe everyone :thumb:

I spoke with one of the collision investigation officers today, as they want a statement......and he said that I'm likely to be contacted by a counsellor and his advice was to see them. I surrendered my dash cam to them too, to see if the footage will help the investigation.

Unfortunately what is seen cannot be un-seen..... :(

The trouble as well Stu, is that people don't want to get involved either. I saw a pic of the burning car on the M11 and people were driving round it.....It didn't look like anyone stopped to help...... :shock:

The accident yesterday.....me and another couple of people went to try to help.....but everyone else were standing around spectating or just sitting in their cars....... :roll:

The trouble as well Stu, is that people don't want to get involved either. I saw a pic of the burning car on the M11 and people were driving round it.....It didn't look like anyone stopped to help...... :shock:

The accident yesterday.....me and another couple of people went to try to help.....but everyone else were standing around spectating or just sitting in their cars....... :roll:

Agree entirely Bob, is it a sign of our times or is it the thought of getting pulled into all the paper work possible legal battle afterwards???? I'll bet some of the forces are now thinking twice before they act. It's a crazy world we now live in.

Agree entirely Bob, is it a sign of our times or is it the thought of getting pulled into all the paper work possible legal battle afterwards???? I'll bet some of the forces are now thinking twice before they act. It's a crazy world we now live in.

Unfortunately it does seem to be a sign of the times Chris.......I'm alright Jack mentality! :roll:

yes this is true Bob I have seen this all too often although not on such serious accidents!

they just think oh well not my problem!

I think a lot of it boils down to selfishness!

Crazy..

Not sure I could drive past a burning car with no emergency services in attendance without taking a look to see if I could help and I would hope fellow road users would do the same.. Sad times we live in where people are too busy to help.

When I did the Kent firebike course at brands hatch, we were told not to worry about legal action as in the uk if you are genuinely trying to assist someone you can't be held responsible if you make things worse. The good Samaritan law..

Yeah.....The whole BikerDown thing is about helping others, Joe......sadly there are a lot of people around these days that would step over you if you fell over in the street........sad times really..... :shock:

My gran and granddad was in slow moving traffic on the motorway because a car was on fire.

They said a woman and small child was stood on the grass embankment and a car pulled up on the hard shoulder.

Hurrah, someone to help? no the moron took a picture and got back in his car and pulled back into the traffic.

Well done for doing something mate, although like you say, what is seen can not be unseen.

Unfortunately the disgusting reality is that the majority don't help and would rather film someone dying than man up and get stuck in. Grips my shit big time.

If you need anything or are unsure about anything, I'm always about to help.

Mart

Fair play to you for helping out.

I can understand peoples reservations though. You pull someone out a car and accidentally injure them whats to stop them from pressing charges? (not sure of the law on that) and a lot of people don't have any training and will likely just get in the way of people who know how to help.

Fair play to you for helping out.

I can understand peoples reservations though. You pull someone out a car and accidentally injure them whats to stop them from pressing charges? (not sure of the law on that) and a lot of people don't have any training and will likely just get in the way of people who know how to help.

The good Samaritan laws are there to protect firstaiders

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/557888 ... being-sued

So if you see someone in trouble, get stuck in and try to help if you can without harming yourself (too badly) without fear of being sued.

The bike safe guys said to me, if you find a motorcyclists on the road, not breathing, its better to get his helmet off and risk a neck injury than have him choke on his tounge/vomit.

Infact its nearly always the right thing to do to take the helmet off (contary to popular belief)

Also when giving CPR, don't worry if you break the persons ribs - they will heal! Better to have broken ribs and be alive than dead with perfect ribs.

It's terrible, more so that you had to get involved not just because you wanted to help, but because no one else would.

Similar happened to me some years back on the M6. Drove past a burning car, occupant still inside, at a distance I saw a figure inside the car and thought I could help. No emergency vehicles were there. The second I got out I saw the person couldn't be saved.

Makes you think how detached do you have to be to just drive by that as it started.

There are some very heartless people in this world.

Due to the nature of my job I've always had cpr. First aid and emergency response training.

Tango. You do get over it mate. Take the counselling offered it will help.

On a much lighter note.

20 year ago. Myself and several friends were in kings cross station. Cellar bar.

Tea time on a Tuesday. Down for a match.

Bloke falls down the stairs looking like he's had a heart attack. I jump (lot younger n fitter then ) over 2 railings in the pub to get to him.

Proceed to give the initial slap.

The responce being "jaysaas that's been a good sesh"!!!!.

Not one other person in the entire bar had moved only the 12 or so northern monkeys. So called scum of the earth football lads....lol

As I said on FB I am really hoping you're OK and I'm sure Mandy is looking after you..

If there's anything we can do you know you only have to ask, even if it's bundling over on the bikes with home baked treats to keep your mind off things..

I would accept the help they offer from the counsellor.. Sometimes you don't realise how much you need help until you've got it..

I know I tend to stop at accidents, no matter how minor and it's such a shame that so many people won't.. Won't rant on this topic but I agree with most of the comments so far in the same vein..

Just hope you're ok Bob and thoughts with all those involved..