New gear purchased - Thoughts ?

Bare in mind I was on a budget

http://s7.postimg.org/ul3p8mjrf/kit.jpg

Any thoughts? Will be used for daily commute and some weekend rides out.

No track days

Looks decent!

Have you tried one of those helmets on for size?

Thanks mate.

I've had hjc before. So hope it's ok. If not then Sportbikeshop offer free returns so I have no worries.

RST stuff is generally pretty good, and HJC are supposed to be the largest helmet manufacturers in the world so as long as it fits you'll be OK.

Although nothing is totally waterproof!

I have RST gear, The higher models of those but still RST :D

I've done over 15k in mine, Some of them in absolute torrential rain in random parts of Europe. So highly recommended from me! :cheers:

I recently bought RST Tundra jacket and trousers from the bike show.

Not used them much yet but quality and features are much better then my previous kit.

I think the jacket you have chosen might be more of a summer jacket.

You may want to add a waterproof over jacket, not expensive and will provide extra warmth and water proofing. or even an all in one waterproof.

RST stuff is generally pretty good, and HJC are supposed to be the largest helmet manufacturers in the world so as long as it fits you'll be OK.

400 miles on Friday with one of them richa typhoon oversuits. Didn't let a drop in. Ride recommended and £40.

I'd love to know at what point they don't become waterproof, because it held up well for 8 hours. It only stopped raining when I hit the m62 on the way home.

I'd love to know at what point they don't become waterproof

Probably in a couple of years, general wear will rub off any water proof coverings and stretch the fabric weave (which is why jackets start to tend leaking through the elbows first). But for 40 quid buy a back up now and jobs a good un! :thumb:

I have mixed thoughts on RST.

My waterproofing is good, Phil Young's is not. Not sure if his is supposed to be waterproof or water resistant though.

His zip is fu*ked on the front.

My velcro was so strong it pulled the stitching & pad off instead of the velcro. Otherwise it's protective which is it's main purpose.

400 miles on Friday with one of them richa typhoon oversuits. Didn't let a drop in. Ride recommended and £40.

I'd love to know at what point they don't become waterproof, because it held up well for 8 hours. It only stopped raining when I hit the m62 on the way home.

I got he Richa Typhoon all in one as well!

I've done a 200mile ride through Wales in mine, totally waterproof. Bargain at £40.

I used almost this exact setup for communing. the blade stuff keeps you warm and dry and has a removable liner for the summer months. very good.

the boots were SHEEEEIIITTTEE!! i'd get something else. they were good at first, but quickly started letting water through. i wore a hole through the thin rubber sole on the left boot on the gear change through shifting really quickly (about 3 months) which let more water in, especially if i went through a big puddle.

you've been warned about those boots!

I used almost this exact setup for communing. the blade stuff keeps you warm and dry and has a removable liner for the summer months. very good.

the boots were SHEEEEIIITTTEE!! i'd get something else. they were good at first, but quickly started letting water through. i wore a hole through the thin rubber sole on the left boot on the gear change through shifting really quickly (about 3 months) which let more water in, especially if i went through a big puddle.

you've been warned about those boots!

thanks for the heads up

any ideas which other ones are good for similar price?

i was looking at more touring type boots or shall i just get race type ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you have a pretty healthy budget to me, I paid £65 for my goretex/kevlar RSR jacket 25 years ago and its still doing well, I've had a couple of other jackets in that time but keep going back to the RSR one. I just brought some new textile trousers, 50 squid for some Cube waterproof (but not breatheable) ones. I haven't been so lucky with boots though.......

Look for waterproof and breatheable, gone are the days when mb clothing was crap.

There are various factors that determine how waterproof something will be.

Many people don't realise that Goretex, Aquatex, permotex in fact anything with a "tex" in the name is simply a membraneall based on the same principle but it cannot be called Goretex because that name is owned by W L Gore and Associates who invented the membrane 1969 in the first place. Teflon is its other name

They hold the rights to the name so any similar materials of which there are many cannot bear that name hence the varying na,es that we get but they are by and large all the same.

The reason I mention this is because it is put luck as to whether it will keep you dry simply because it only needs one needle to be misplaced or punctured during manufacturing and it will leak and of course you don't find out until you have put it to the stest.

Think of it like a plastic carrier bag between the outer and inner layers.

If it gets stretched, pulled or punctured it will leak, and it matters not ow much you paid for it, the membrane is the critical part.

The reason I mention this is because it is put luck as to whether it will keep you dry simply because it only needs one needle to be misplaced or punctured during manufacturing and it will leak and of course you don't find out until you have put it to the test.

Inevitably it will leak in the crotch area :(

Inevitably it will leak in the crotch area :(

The reason that 1 piece suits leak at the crotch it actually quite easy to explain :)

Most 1 piece suits are made by or designed by companies based in mainland Europe. In mainland Europe they tend to have short bodies and long legs. Here in the UK we tend to have long bodies and short legs, so inevitably this puts additional and extra strain on the crotch area and hence the reason they leak sooner and more frequently than a 2 piece.

It also made worse by the fact that unless you wear a 1 piece from the time you first get on the bike, by the time you stop to get into waterproofs you are already damp and you are dragging your waterproof over damp leather putting additional strain on the fabric.

On top of that I can guarantee that you wil climb into your waterproof and then remember that you need a pee, and so you have to peel it all off again and then start all over.

With a 2 piece, you slip the jacket on (you can also wear the jacket as an over jacket for additional warmth) when it starts to rain and then once the jacket is on you can climb into your trousers at leisure but you will remain by and large dry and you will not put strain on the crotch. The bonus is also if you need a pee (unless you are a power ranger) you can do that wherever and whenever and still remain dry.

Some of you may have noticed that when it starts to rain, your legs do not get as wet as your upper body as the bike can actually afford you some wet weather protection (especially faired bikes) it is the upper body that tends to get soaked.

But back to my original point, I hope that explains why 1 piece suits tend to leak around the crotch.

My balls dont get wet :P

My one piece over suit is the best bargain I have ever had for the bike!

It cost me a tenner from lidl and it has never let a drop in!

I have rode in some downpours in it too and at some stupid speeds in Germany

My leakage was from some richa "waterproof" over trousers. Sitting in cold rainwater for a half hour ride home is the worst thing ever. Luckily my sexy army gortex trousers do seem pretty waterproof!