TMBF 125cc Idiot Challenge discussion

RantMachine

well ive got the perfect bike for someone then i have got a kymco agility 125 4 stroke scooter sat in my garden its on a 55 plate needs a battery and rear puncture sorting out and the v5 applying for ive never had it running but its got good compression so i dont see any reason it wont run oh and its matt black so in stealth mode the others wont see it coming as you sneak past them im looking for 70 quid for it but anyone want to make an offer let me know

I'd snatch it off you Steve but I reckon a geared bike would be better than a scoot.

well ive got the perfect bike for someone then i have got a kymco agility 125 4 stroke scooter sat in my garden its on a 55 plate needs a battery and rear puncture sorting out and the v5 applying for ive never had it running but its got good compression so i dont see any reason it wont run oh and its matt black so in stealth mode the others wont see it coming as you sneak past them im looking for 70 quid for it but anyone want to make an offer let me know

I'd snatch it off you Steve but I reckon a geared bike would be better than a scoot.

As my teacher once taught me... A turbo solves everything!

For £70 I might just have that to piss around on :lol:

I'd be picking this up on the weekend if we had a higher limit :lol:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1155132444

For those who can't be arsed to open, it's a half decent CBR125 for £600... Or £400 after holding the cash out and saying take it or leave it.

Or this

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1154091847

CG 125 down the road from me!

An apparently perfect Lexmoto Arrow

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexmoto-motor ... 1155617015

Just look at the variety!!!

I'm still keen on a £300 budget. Should see us end up with some hilarious stuff, no doubt!

Do we trust each other, or am I gonna have to check receipts? :lol:

I dunno... Can I rent your CG off you for £300 for the remainder of this year? I won't mod it.

If not no. :lol:

OK I have done some googling does it have to be a motorcycle?

Can it be a scooter :shock:

Selection is greater and the budget could be lower :o

Does this include collection costs? if you buy a bike and cannot ride it home?

Still keeping an eye on second hand prices so that I can work out if £300 is realistic. I'm a bit concerned that budget might be a bit too tight and see everyone end up on scooters, or slapping lights on beaten old MX bikes and trying to get them registered for the road - wouldn't mind if one or two people went that way, but I think that having everyone pushed into that corner could get boring. Maybe £400 is a bit more realistic? Still a bit cheaper than the £500 we were originally discussing, but should keep options a little more open. At that price point you actually get some well and truly thrashed Jap bikes showing up, and people who go for a £250 - £300 Chinese have a bit of budget for repairs to play with.

How about this: we STRICTLY say £300 bike budget, £100 maximum repair budget, any money left over from bike budget can be added to repair budget. People who don't want to invest too heavily aren't obliged to spend the full £400, but people who want to get silly and trick the bike out have the option to do so :thumb:

Will look at some potential routes today and pull together some ideas for challenges. I think that staying in the UK is our best option, I don't think that getting blown up Chinese bikes recovered from Germany would be much fun...

I wonder if we should pitch the idea on kickstarter or indiegogo as a Youtube series and see if we can raise some money towards it that way... If everyone did a short video diary of tricking their bike out, maybe a video about choosing their bike, we could have a good little series going. I could take cameraman duties, riding ahead every now and then to get some decent panning shots and suchlike...

Or am I getting carried away now? :mrgreen:

We could have divisions?

£300 division

£500 division

£800 division

The £300 division gets a bonus for finishing. The £800 gets a severe penalty for any break downs.

It means we'd have Chinese bikes taking on scrappy old jap bikes on a even battlefield.

Ohhh! I enjoy editing videos in my spare time, so if no one else wants to do it, I'm happy to take on the youtube/media aspect of things :D

Rant is challenge manager and route planner..

I must remember I have work to do and now not spend all day looking at 125s..

We could have divisions?

£300 division

£500 division

£800 division

The £300 division gets a bonus for finishing. The £800 gets a severe penalty for any break downs.

It means we'd have Chinese bikes taking on scrappy old jap bikes on a even battlefield.

I dunno, divisions would make it a bit less novel I fear. The breakdowns are to be embraced! For £800, someone could buy a pretty decent YBR or CG and just laugh their way through it, no fun in that. For £400 or less, EVERYONE IS RATBIKES. I'm sure that those who want a Jap bike will be able to land one if they try hard enough. You know, something like buying a Cat B and a Cat C of the same bike then combining the best parts :lol:

And of course, it would be nice to keep it relatively fair and accessible to everyone regardless of their financial situation.

Ohhh! I enjoy editing videos in my spare time, so if no one else wants to do it, I'm happy to take on the youtube/media aspect of things :D

Rant is challenge manager and route planner..

I must remember I have work to do and now not spend all day looking at 125s..

AWESOME, I did video production at Uni and therefore know full well how much I hate doing it :lol:

Can probably do a half way decent job of promoting it should we go down the crowdfunding route, though. I maek prity pikchurs and all that.

I feel i'd rather eat £300 worth of notes. than buy another chinese bike :D

Guess you'll have to try and dig out a real cheap Jap bike, then :wink:

Or a Taiwanese bike, because that's completely different...

It's times like this, it's almost a shame petrolhead isn't here any more :lol:

I'm in agreement about divisions, we already will only have 20 max people running in this and it would be far more fun to have everyone clumped together in one band rather than a few here and there..

I'm ok with £400 total but only allowed to use up to £300 of that for the actual bike purchase..

Would it be possible to push this to 250s?

I've seen one or two ooollllddd 250s that caught my eye.. And I'm sure a 70s carbed 250 will have about the same power as a modern 125, when it's bought for £75 of a scrappage yard! :lol:

Hmm, I dunno... it would open things up a little, but then it could also take away the novelty of having challenges for speed and acceleration, and of course the obligatory hill climb! All depends if their meagre power advantage offsets their higher weight.

I'm trying to weigh it up in my head. In a way, being more restrictive forces people to make bigger compromises on their bike, which leads to greater comedy value...

I dunno, divisions would make it a bit less novel I fear. The breakdowns are to be embraced! For £800, someone could buy a pretty decent YBR or CG and just laugh their way through it, no fun in that. For £400 or less, EVERYONE IS RATBIKES. I'm sure that those who want a Jap bike will be able to land one if they try hard enough. You know, something like buying a Cat B and a Cat C of the same bike then combining the best parts :lol:

And of course, it would be nice to keep it relatively fair and accessible to everyone regardless of their financial situation.

Like I say, it's a solution if the cost is too low for some, as we will have differing standards. It's illegal to hit the road expecting a break down so documenting it all on a public forum does lead to some niggles there! I prefer single division but wouldn't mind either way if I'm honest as we could just have rules. Plus it ups the competition when you have groups.

I have adobe premiere, so if you need videos putting together I'm available on that front. I've got a lot of private films I've put together (speed may have been involved) so I'm fairly used to it.

We can turn it into a tv show/youtube show format.

"This time on 125 ass hats, the ass hats are buying in their projects for an upcoming race... But will Glorian make it to the start line with his wrists un-slashed."

IMO the tighter the budget the more fun it will be

I think 300 quid for a bike is ok and repairs are out of your own pocket bit you are limited to make it road legal and safe and that's it

SOME MORE GREAT BIKES FOR YOU ALL

First up we've got a Jap bike for only £300! Could be one for you here, Chris...

HONDA NSR125 - £300

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-nsr-r-125-/1155699952

Bit scrappy, head gasket is apparently not so happy, and it MIGHT be stolen.. but hey, it's an NSR for £300! What could go wrong? :lol:

Next up, a nice little CBR125 clone:

SKYJET SJ125 - £300

https://www.gumtree.com/p/skyjet-motorbikes/skyjet-sj125-23-/1155678032

It isn't a Honda and it isn't a two stroke, but it might not be stolen! Can't say fairer than that. Condition is supposedly fair and bike is recently serviced, but it needs an MOT. No photos either. Maybe one to give a thorough look over before parting with cash just in case of hidden gremlins, but seems like it could be ok. And if Petrolhead could fix up one of these, ANYONE can.

HOGGS! THIS ONE IS GREEN! AND IT SAYS KWIKASFUKI ON THE TANK!

LIFAN (MODEL NOT STATED) - £300

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lifan-motorbikes/lifan-125cc-/1155715084

Apparently the carb needs a clean and it wants a new throttle cable, but is otherwise ok. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but it looks like it could be a barrel of laughs!

Another Honda! Tempted, Glorian? We won't see too many Jap bikes pop up, I'll wager.

HONDA CG125 - £300

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-cg125-2002/1155189832

Burns a little bit of oil, but as Tiggie can tell you this is easily solved by just carrying a bottle of spare stuff :lol: Has a logbook, but wants an MOT. But trust me when I say that these things are EASY to work on - this is my pick of today's crop.

So, anyone reckon they can make this road legal and get it registered for £100?

AJS URBAN DZ - £300

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-motorbikes-scooters/urban-dz-125-field-dirt-bike-/1154981340

Owner says they are willing to move on the price, and all it wants is (supposedly) a new chain. And some lights and a numberplate, but how hard can that be? Ok, not the simplest. But my hat goes off to anyone who thinks this is a good idea.

Aaaand then I got bored. More some other time, I guess. If nowt else, this proves that £300 will do the job, just about.

Edited by RantMachine