Guy Martin v David Coulthard Channel 4

baggy

Just watching the start of the programme and see the F1 car beat the Tyco BMW in a drag race.

Surely it's not a fair comparison and a MotoGP bike would be a bit fairer?

I thought it was quite a fun programme. Coulthard came across as a bit of a condescending nob at times but the bike did extremely well considering the colossal cost and support difference.

Anyone can waltz in to a showroom and lay cash down for a bike that's not far off what Guy was riding - what was the F1 car? £4 million or something?

Just watching the start of the programme and see the F1 car beat the Tyco BMW in a drag race.

I thought exactly the same.

A GP bike versus a GP car would have been a much better comparison rather than a dollied up street bike. For me it was a bit of an unfair and unrealistic comparison.

Good fun though non the less.

I thought exactly the same.

A GP bike versus a GP car would have been a much better comparison rather than a dollied up street bike. For me it was a bit of an unfair and unrealistic comparison.

The comparison was the first thing I though too.

I think a MotoGP bike that is also at the pinnacle of the sport would have won 3 of those 4 challenges.

Still, it was an entertaining programme and both Coultard & Martin made me laugh at their banter.

Not wishing to start another countersteering debate, but did you hear how the voiceover guy explained how guy was steering the bike through the slalom??

I ranted at the same bit

I shouted "Well done Guy! You've passed your Mod 1"

Ever thought that the F! companies would only allow it if they would be happy with the results....

Entertaining, but clearly all geared up to make F1 look good in light of the imminent race season.

Had to wonder why they used DC whos been retired for 8 years.

Huge marketing stunt and no way they were going to let a cheap bike beat a 5million quid F1 car.

Also, that bike should have done a sub-10 second standing quarter... It wasnt any quicker than a stock S1000RR, but then if it had been it would have beat the F1 car ;)

For me the biggest difference was how much the rider is more important than the bike, but the car is more important than the driver. The brake test involved Coulthard slamming on the brakes and skidding to a halt. Martin had to feather the brake and even then the back wheel was lifting off the ground. In the slalom I did not realise that Martin was using the brake, clutch and throttle to get through it.

yeah I said the brake test was kinda unfair. You lock up in a car you maybe skid about a bit. You lock up on a bike like that and you're enjoying NHS food for a while :shock:

That "near stock" Tyco beemer was £250k's worth ! I bet Lorenzo would have faired better on his M1

I think they told some porkies there. That bike looked very stock. Had stock instriment cluster and stock switchgear and didn't even manage a sub 10second quarter mile.

For 120k you can buy a rc213v honda and that would stand its own against some of those tests im sure you can buy a stickered up beemer like that for around 16k :)

Yeah this was in the news last week....

"looking for a superbike that's capable of making you look full-factory, your search could well be cover because BMW has just launched a UK-only limited edition Tyco BMW replica S1000RR, which is says it the highest-specced S1000RR on sale in the UK.

BMW has made just 75 of the bikes, which are available now from BMW dealers priced at £21,240.

As well as the exact replica paint job, each S1000RR is loaded with a BMW factory performance parts including dynamic damping control (active suspension) and dynamic traction control, forged wheels, an Akrapovic silencer, HP4 adjustable rearsets, LED indicators, heated grips, Gear Shift Assist Pro system, plus an alarm and paddock stands, floor mat and indoor bike cover."

https://youtu.be/jN8oLNRpqMk

The bike still gets snotted and is still not near.

But bike racing is more exciting or though the tin tops from the early 80's/90's was good. As was F1 many years ago.

That "near stock" Tyco beemer was £250k's worth ! I bet Lorenzo would have faired better on his M1

How can it be 250k worth of bike?

Upgraded brakes/suspension and engine isnt £230k.

Mabey the whole setup is 250k but not the bike.