Isn't time weird?

TC1474

Yesterday, I went to the funeral of my old boss. He was my first base Inspector when I was posted onto Traffic division and was a real decent nice guy. His funeral is not the point of this post, because although any funeral is a sad occasion, in his case he was suffering parkinsons and cancer and was 79 and had been in a hospice for a while, and sometimes it is kinder to let them go so that you can remember people as they were in their prime not as they were at the end.

I was fortunate that the best 2 Inspectors I ever served under were both Traffic inspectors. The one who passed away and Terry, my second base inspector.

No, the point I was going to make, is that, when you have many years in the same job, you develop friendships and comaraderie that goes well beyond any working relationship, and as a Traffic Policeman, that was certainly very true. We were a close knit team who would back each other up at a drop of a hat, unlike many Policemen these days who have no real interest other than to be authoritarian power junkies (No offence inferred or intended against you Martin) although there are exceptions to the rule.

Anyway, what brought the time issue home, was that when I attended my first funeral after I retired, there were about 50 of us (serving and retired) from the Southern Traffic Area of Thames Valley Police. We always consider ourselves family, and even those of us who had retired were still considered part of the family.

Yesterday, there were about 20 of us, and it was at this point you realise that time is catching up as the group gets smaller. I still remember many as younger men in their 30's, 40's maybe 50's, just as they remember me as a young 20 something, and then the penny drops, they are nw in their 70's and 80's and I am late 50's.

We are no longer the young people we remember, we are middle aged or old men and then you start wondering whose funeral we will be attending next.

Then yesterday, there I was talking to someone thinking to myself, the face looks familiar, I recognise the voice, but who the f@ck are you? And then the penny drops. In the cae of yesterday, it was my old Traffic Admin Sgt. I have not seen hom for over 10 years.

I can still remember incidents, people and dates like it was yesterday. But the memories and pictures in my head don't match the reality.

Hence my title, isn't time weird. Maybe it is just a sign that we are all getting older....

On the plus side, a funeral is always a good opportunity to catch up and have a good natter. :D :wink:

Bit the same for me, retired now but spent 40 years on the railway after leaving the army, moved around with my job as a Train Driver, always remembered faces but hopeless with names, during that time came across people i haven't seen for 20+ years ,met them again and thought "hasn't he got old", its just that you remember them as the last time you saw them, then I get the reflection in the mirror and think "you too". :seeya:

Well Tango I wonder if like me the policemen of today have been looking much younger for some time now! :shock: Only the other week at a bike night I saw a young police woman and commented to my friend it looks like she is still at school! It certainly creeps up on you this old age thing. :(

I saw a young police woman and commented to my friend it looks like she is still at school! It certainly creeps up on you this old age thing. :(

Paying off her student loans :lol:

I find that I don't think back and wonder what old friends are doing now.......I wonder whether they're still alive. And a lot aren't. :(

Don't it seems about 10 years ago when I started on FB I suddenly acquired allot of friends from my secondary school. I have moved out the area and had not kept in touch, it seems before we hit 35 we had lost nearly 1/5 of our year...

Not certain that's normal...

There is a saying, 'Its always later than you think'.

The frightening thing is none of us know how long we have left. My Dad was living life as normal and after a small lump appeared on his shoulder he thought he'd get it checked out and discovered that he had cancer in the lung, brain, eye and shoulder. Was given FOUR WEEKS. Went almost to the day. That was twenty years ago but the scary bit is I am exactly the same age as he was when he went. 57 is nothing. Certainly too young to die.

Tomorrow isn't promised.....someone somewhere a little wiser than me once said, it was a famous somebody but ironically I can't remember!! :shock:

On a side note ID young 'uns in the bar constantly. Have to double take their passports when I see the date of birth sometimes as they look bloomin 12!!

Yep I know what you mean.

You know you are old when you always check the obituary column in the local paper to see if any of your school mates have gone.

All males in my family call it a day before 65........... so I best get mi finger out over the next 10 yrs and enjoy it while I can :D

You have to laugh :lol: :lol:

It's because although time is linear, your brain does not store it linearly. The temporal component of memory is encoded in the hippocampus, while the affective component is encoded in the amygdala, both of which are connected to the medial and dorsolateral prefrontal cortical areas via the anterior cingulate gyrus. When we recall a subjectively significant event, the amygdala mobilises the cingulate gyrus to stimulate the entire brain and autonomic nervous system via the corpus callosum, nucleus accumbens and parietal, occipital and frontal lobes of the cortex, with the effect that you "re-live" the experience in a literal sense.

It's because although time is linear, your brain does not store it linearly. The temporal component of memory is encoded in the hippocampus, while the affective component is encoded in the amygdala, both of which are connected to the medial and dorsolateral prefrontal cortical areas via the anterior cingulate gyrus. When we recall a subjectively significant event, the amygdala mobilises the cingulate gyrus to stimulate the entire brain and autonomic nervous system via the corpus callosum, nucleus accumbens and parietal, occipital and frontal lobes of the cortex, with the effect that you "re-live" the experience in a literal sense.

Yea i knew that not :?

Of course it is... Simples :shock: :wink: