Would you go?

Adam

The company I subcontract too have asked me if I want to do a job in Israel at the end of September. Just after some advise or personal experiences of the country, mainly is it safe? Would you go?

I don't have to go but being a sub means no money.

I've lived in Palestine quite some time ago and have spent some time in Israel while I was there.

For how long would it be?

Personally, I wouldn't live there but for a short period, it's a great country. Which city would it be?

I'd say you have nothing much to worry about there. The heat is mostly in Palestinian territories and the last attacks against Israelis happened against settlers, who are in Palestinian territories. The Israeli territory itself is pretty much safe now (-ish). But then again, there's a conflict going on, you can't ever be 100% sure.

All depends on the circumstances.

Over the years I have been offered a lot and I mean a fair bit of brass to work in various war torn countries due to the nature of my job.

I have always turned them down purely because of the kids.

At your age I would be off especially if no family ties etc.

Within 6 month of the second iraq war I was offered x3 my salary to go over...... Turned down kids were toddlers :crybaby:

Not got any details in terms of exact location, however I can find out. It's only for 10 days so not very long..

I have a 3 year old son so obviously I don't want to put myself in unecccesary risk for the sake of some money.

To be honest there's usually other guys that do the more high risk countries, however they're all busy elsewhere which is why I've been asked. We're installing a material transport conveyor system - infeed and outfeed of a new machine which means other companies are already out there so I'd presume it's safe.

Think I'll have to sleep on it.

My brother in law is a C n I tech and has lived on the compounds in some of the worst area of the middle east and Africa.

He's now 40 and has lived to tell the tale and made a dam good living for himself and r kid.

He's hating it at the moment as he's back working in the UK after the arse fell out the oil industry.

A 10 days stay, the probability is very low. At the moment, Israel is probably safer than France. We're very far from a war zone, Syria or Irak here. If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate and go, child or not.

Or you can put it this way: at the moment, you have more chances to die on your bike on the road than from 10 days in Israel. There's always a risk, but It's all relative.

I went there for just over a week a number of years back. We stayed in Tel Aviv and travelled to Jerusalem every day.....no problems at all.......In fact me and the guy I was working with delayed our flight home by a day and did a tour of Jerusalem and Bethlehem......so, I'd say go for it..... 8-)

Been twice, last time for bridge competition 7 years ago. Minimal risk unless in occupied west bank or northern areas, and even then no worse than a lot of places in Europe or round the Med nowadays. Foreign nationals not normally targeted, unlike in many tourist areas where the terrorists want to damage the tourist trade to ruin the economy. Go, learn, enjoy.

It's true that the FCO advice is useful, and when they use the magic phrase "advise against all travel to" I pay close attention. But they write things in a way that can make even the calmest place sound like hubbub of civil unrest. To put this in perspective, here's an except from another country (edited to make it harder to identify):

There is a high threat from terrorism. The national government has announced that increased security has been put in place as a precaution at public buildings, major events, transport hubs and large public gatherings.

Last month, 9 people were killed by a gunman during a shooting incident in a shopping centre. Two days later, a suicide bomb outside a bar injured 15 people.

There’s been considerable disruption to rail, road and ferry transport to neighbouring countries to the north south and west. The national government has reinstated immigration controls at its south western borders. If you’re travelling by road, train or ferry, allow additional time for disruptions, be vigilant and follow the instructions of local authorities.

This is Germany.

So I'd go. I've been twice before, both times was with work and for week. The second time I went I stayed on with a couple of mates and we went to Jerusalem and Palestine.

I'd go back again tomorrow. Great people, Israelis and Palestinians, both.

Just stay out the trouble spots. The people you're working with will give you good advice.

The company I subcontract too have asked me if I want to do a job in Israel at the end of September. Just after some advise or personal experiences of the country, mainly is it safe? Would you go?

Accommodation paid and tax free, if be there like a shot!!

Go.

Be sensible and follow the advice of the people you will be working with/for and you will be fine.

As said earlier - The 'locals' are mainly very friendly and will welcome you if you do not abuse their way of life.

Enjoy!

:thumb:

If you don't come back for any reason ... can I have your bike :thumb:

Might be disappointed there as don't think he has one currently, when are you going to rectify that Adam? Surely soon? :)

I so subcontracting i would look i to the area you'll be working in etc, but you only live once and if you don't like it come home :) least you tried ;) do you like hot weather